Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Turn signal (indicator)

Transmission (gearbox)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Arugula.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Trash, cookie, period (full stop), sneakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Muffler is a scarf.
    Comforter is a blanket.
    Sneakers are runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kardashian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hatshepsut wrote: »
    Kerb for footpath

Curb for kerb, sidewalk for footpath.

Useless building with no functionality built by impoverished workers.

Irish: Folly

Murican English: Gazebo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Elsa May Jayzee. Or something. Some of the names they bestow on their poor kids is amazing.

Working in a prison you hear the creme de la creme. Kayden, Jayden, Brayden and Okayden

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Hatshepsut

Pacifier

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They work all hours and days and get two weeks off if lucky.

There are many religions and none that home school. Some countries cannot wait to get their kids out of their hair. But guns might be an issue for sure in American Schools as we have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Silverware. Witnessed American asking for some recently. Cue utterly baffled look until someone else intervened and told the waitress the yank was asking for cutlery. The American in question looked like they thought everyone around was like, so stupid like, cos who doesn't know what suhlverwurr is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nodding his head no, instead of shook his head.

Drug instead of dragged.

I need to speak with Stephen King to see if we can have a bit bigger dome next time; over the whole country!

Diaper.

Really where did that come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Elsa May Jayzee. Or something. Some of the names they bestow on their poor kids is amazing.

I’m in a march 2021 due date page on Facebook, it’s 99% Americans, the names they're coming up with Is one of the biggest collection of cringe, disbelief, despair, hilarity and disgraceful.

Especially when they butcher Irish names, oh and cause it’s a march due date page, theyre all talking about ‘St Patty’s day’. I swear it makes me want to scream!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

Erbs for Herbs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Silverware. Witnessed American asking for some recently. Cue utterly baffled look until someone else intervened and told the waitress the yank was asking for cutlery. The American in question looked like they thought everyone around was like, so stupid like, cos who doesn't know what suhlverwurr is.

Obviously the person who intervened was Irish, and the waitress must have been foreign. Lots of people in Ireland know about Newbridge Silverware.

I’m in a march 2021 due date page on Facebook, it’s 99% Americans, the names they're coming up with Is one of the biggest collection of cringe, disbelief, despair, hilarity and disgraceful.

Especially when they butcher Irish names, oh and cause it’s a march due date page, theyre all talking about ‘St Patty’s day’. I swear it makes me want to scream!

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Cups. As a measurement.

Automobile, instead of car.

Girlie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Tush.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Pronouncing route as rout.

The weird way they say buoy, they pronounce it boo-ey instead of boy.

That weird vocal fry thing that every woman (and now increasingly every man) under 40 does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Are they annoying or just a different word to describe the same thing?

Apart from pattys day. That's annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

boo-ee for buoy. But I'm pretty sure they pronounce buoyant as we do.

Diaper.

Really where did that come from.

Diaper is the original (old English) word - nappy replaced it in the UK.

Cups. As a measurement.

Yes, they cannot weigh anything. But it works for them and is something we should do too. No problem with that, since all our recipes here are in kilos or derivitatives and need a weighing scale. If you are that bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Obviously the person who intervened was Irish, and the waitress must have been foreign. Lots of people in Ireland know about Newbridge Silverware.

Nope and nope.

And whilst people have heard of Newbridge silverware, I have genuinely never heard silverwear used to request basic cutlery from anyone this side of the Atlantic. You might mention wanting to get out the good silver for a fancy dinner... But never have I ever heard a non-American refer to bog standard cutlery as silverwear. Plus, I've heard them use it for plastic cutlery, which just seems bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

They work all hours and days and get two weeks off if lucky.

There are many religions and none that home school. Some countries cannot wait to get their kids out of their hair. But guns might be an issue for sure in American Schools as we have seen.

Yeah, they don’t really work all hours, they’ve great presentism, as in come in early and work late, but they’re no more productive in those long hours than we are in our standard days. They kinda waste time IMHO, oh and I should say are paid vastly more for the same type of role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Pringles

"Math" seems to be gaining traction this side of the pond. And those who use the term "soccer" to describe a football game should be forced to operate a hotdog stand in an abandoned carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

Drugs and drugstore
    Instead of medicine and pharmacy

Advertisement