Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

cathalj wrote: »
    I have BB and phone with upc, currently 30 per month...got a call offering the option to add horizon and price drops to 25 (12 month contract). Probably gonna go for it, but wondering why some people here are asking to keep router/modem and not have internet coming via horizon box ?? What are the advantages of this ?

Because the Horizon box has dodgy firmware and people are experiencing terrible connections issues where devices just keep disconnecting. Also the wifi range isn't as good as the separate modem. I had it was constantly having to reboot it due to it crashing, at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

pippip wrote:
    Because the Horizon box has dodgy firmware and people are experiencing terrible connections issues where devices just keep disconnecting. Also the wifi range isn't as good as the separate modem. I had it was constantly having to reboot it due to it crashing, at least once a week.

Thanks for the info, think I'll request to keep my router so.... On a side note, a guy from Eircom called to house yesterday and said their engineers are in my area upgrading the BB to fibre optic, uncongested, high speed etc... Said it's a once off chance as they won't come back for individual house connections. This could be why upc rang me out of the blue with the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭jacool

cathalj wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, think I'll request to keep my router so.... On a side note, a guy from Eircom called to house yesterday and said their engineers are in my area upgrading the BB to fibre optic, uncongested, high speed etc... Said it's a once off chance as they won't come back for individual house connections. This could be why upc rang me out of the blue with the offer.
    Just wait for the eircom "yes we can", "no we can't" telephone tennis game which follows. I was sent from pillar to post with the same crap and in the end got nothing from eircom, even though the guy next door to me can stand out in his front garden picking up 50MB on his iPhone (he's on Vodafone). Apparently eircom couldn't provide fibre for me, and I'm with them (though not for much longer) UPC looks like my preferred option now.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

I signed up to a 12 month 120 mb BB only package in February and chanced my arm and rang the loyalty number listed on previous page yesterday. I said I had seen the €25 deal for Horizon max tv and 120mb BB. He pt me on hold, went to speak with a 'manager' and came back and said I could have it so I took it and it's being delivered tomorrow. 12 month contract so no bump in price for the last 6 months or anything. Cancelled my Sky Tv.

Horizon isn't the best but for €25 a month for tv and broadband you can't complain. Great deal.

Cheers for the heads up guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just off the phone to them. They were having none of the €25 deal but they did stick me on a new deal for €42.50 for 6 months then €85 thereafter. Ill be ringing them again at Christmas to see what they can offer me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but each person I get insists on an 18 month contract (I'm an existing out of contract customer) and won't budge on it. Have tried twice and have gotten nowhere. They keep saying they are going to talk to their manager and then they come back offering the same thing

groom wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong but each person I get insists on an 18 month contract (I'm an existing out of contract customer) and won't budge on it. Have tried twice and have gotten nowhere. They keep saying they are going to talk to their manager and then they come back offering the same thing

You have to tell them to go ahead and cancel. They never budge much until you tell them to cancel. Then you should be put through to loyalty department who generally go a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

pippip wrote: »
    You have to tell them to go ahead and cancel. They never budge much until you tell them to cancel. Then you should be put through to loyalty department who generally go a bit further.

yeah it is the loyalty department I've rung. I have threatened cancelling (maybe a bit too gingerly)

yeah it is the loyalty department I've rung. I have threatened cancelling (maybe a bit too gingerly)

Tell them to go ahead and go through with it. You have 30 days to change your mind. You can always ring up and take whatever offer they initially gave you later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

I called them this morning I called the sales number 1890940070

I have BB + phone with them at the moment paying 45 per month. I was also put on hold and they came back saying since I'm a long term customer that I can have the deal no problem. I asked them a few times that its for 12 month and it doesnt change after 6 or it really 18 months only free for 12 and they confirmed it was 12 month free tv !

I get a much better deal on the phone calls as well which is a bonus. I don't watch much tv and I have freesat as it is just signed up for the cheaper monthly payments win win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

easiest conversation ever.. already have broadband on phone.. only one month into 12 month contract paying 45 a month.. phoned the loyalty number.. they offered me 20 euro a month off for the next four months... had to go on a new 12 month contract but seeing as i'm only after starting one didnt really matter :) Happy days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Im thinking of getting this unlimited broadband plus phone plus horizon tv for 35 a month and then 90 for last 6 months of 18 month contract-would boards heads recommend this-I would be new customer -is there better options out there

cheers for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭cunstunt

Just rang the 1890 940070 number and although the sales chap couldn't give me the €25 offer, he put me through to the loyalty team once i mentioned i was "a loyal customer" (of all of 2 years!). They confirmed my details and a sales guy (from cork) rang me back an hour later to put the deal through. I didn;t even have to haggle with them.
    €25 for phone, bb, and horizon max tv - i was already paying €50 for just the bb and phone.
    and it was definitely a 12 month contract with no price changes during it.
    So, saved enough to afford the lenova yoga 2 that i bought last week after another great BA! :-)

thanks again op!
    sw

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this is no but has anyone managed to this deal who is still in contract?

Im on the 45 phone and broadband deal and i got 6mths half price , 6mths full price. think im in contract until next april. presume there's no chance of me getting this deal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

lowbatt07 wrote:
    Im on the 45 phone and broadband deal and i got 6mths half price , 6mths full price. think im in contract until next april. presume there's no chance of me getting this deal?

I am going to try it saying i want TV....worth a punt...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Hooked

I was out of contract since jan, rang the 1890 number... Asked for the loyalty dept - and explained I was with them 9 years.

After 'mike' had a chat with his manager, I was offered 25 a month for 12 months and 6 months at what I'm currently paying. I pushed for 12 months, they weren't budging, so I took it.

Sure I'm not going to move anyway (broadband is v good and badly needed) so instead of complaining about the 18 month contract, I'm more concerned about the almost 600 quid I've just saved.

Happy out! Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this is no but has anyone managed to this deal who is still in contract?

I was in contract until next February on BB only. I was due to go from 30 a month to 40 as my original offer was expiring in August. Surprised they gave me the new 25 quid offer but I'm delighted. 12 month contract as I'm an existing customer, contract sent by email confirms it's only 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

breeno wrote: »
    I was in contract until next February on BB only. I was due to go from 30 a month to 40 as my original offer was expiring in August. Surprised they gave me the new 25 quid offer but I'm delighted. 12 month contract as I'm an existing customer, contract sent by email confirms it's only 12 months.
    Did you get TV also. I'm in the same boat but don't really want/need the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

Got my Horizon TV box yesterday didn't really need the tv part of the deal but you can't turn down €25 a month for BB + phone and tv on top of that.

The horizon tv is fine nothing amazing. I dont watch much tv as it is and I have freesat already. After the 12 months I'll be canceling the TV part for sure.

One good thing it has done is improved the Wifi signal in my house it is much better with this Horizon box which I was very surprised by.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Very tempted by this offer, however I'm currently on the 240mb BB & Phone package @ €45pm.

If I was to take this deal and wanted to go back to the package I'm currently on once the 12 month discount runs out on the TV & BB package, I most likely wouldn't be able to get on the €45pm deal I'm on now as this package has increased to €55pm since I signed up.

Also, I only signed up in March and my deal was for 4 months half price, which is just up now.. so I'm thinking I'd hardly get another 12 months TV & BB at half price seeing as I'm not long into this contract?

Very confusing but I'm oh so tempted..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭new2sat

I took the €35 pm (240Mb Mobile World and Horizon Max TV ) offer on Wednesday July 1st.

Couple of things - heads up

1. First Horizon box delivered on Thursday failed to find the UPC network. So I rang in and in fairness they had a second box for swap out next day.

2. Just checked with UPC accounts department, apparently I will owe them €93.50 (will be the pm charge) at next bill with the new package I now have with them. So I inform them that there is a mistake with that.

Should be sorted, but I'll be checking back in early August.

You may, if you have taken up this offer, want to check that your account has been amended to reflect same.

Also they seem to be doing their utmost not to give this offer without going through hoops. My sis-in-law tried in vain to get the same offer but UPC sales having none of it. She only has TV with them but willing to move from Eircom phone and bb.

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Currently 4 month into a 12 month contract for 120mb broadband and phone.

Paying 30 a month for 6 months a then it was going up to 40 a month. I dropped tv that I had previously.

Called up looking for the offer and was told outbound could only apply it and I was passed over to them

I got...
    240mb broadband
    Phone (never used)
    Horizon max TV

25 euro a month 12 month contact.

No arguments. No fighting. No begging. It was the first thing he offered me!

So paying less. For more!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I was on the phone with the loyalty team and they refused to sign me for a new 12 months contract at 25€ explaining that this is available only for new customer. I entered 2 months ago into a new contract with them (6 months half price and 6 months full price)
    I will try again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

brightkane wrote: »
    Currently 4 month into a 12 month contract for 120mb broadband and phone.

Paying 30 a month for 6 months a then it was going up to 40 a month. I dropped tv that I had previously.

Called up looking for the offer and was told outbound could only apply it and I was passed over to them

I got...
    240mb broadband
    Phone (never used)
    Horizon max TV

25 euro a month 12 month contact.

No arguments. No fighting. No begging. It was the first thing he offered me!

So paying less. For more!

Just wondering what number did you call , and what department made that offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Just wondering what number did you call , and what department made that offer ?

Called loyalty and they transferred me through to an outbound rep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

couldn't get the 25 a month offer

currently 120mb +phone at 45 a month

was offered 35 for 6 months with a speed upgrade and then 40 a month for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Was on 120mb broadband and horizion TV for 75 - 10th month of a 12 month contract.

Rang an got TV and 240mb broadband and (a slightly worse tv package) for half price for 6 months (37.50) then back to 75 for next 6 months - rang the loyalty team direct 061272190 after having no luck with the 1890 number earlier.

Was first thing she offered me after I asked for 35 euro offer for 12 months but I didn'thave the heart to haggle any more than that. I'm in an apartment block wired for UPC so don't think I really have too many other options in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

rob316 wrote: »
    Guy from UPC just rang me there, offered me HD TV, 240mb B/B and Home Phone for €35 per month for 12 months.

I have broadband and phone already from them for €45 per month so this seemed like a no brainer.

Anyone else get it?
    if it's horizion box stay with what you have...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

j4vier wrote: »
    couldn't get the 25 a month offer

currently 120mb +phone at 45 a month

was offered 35 for 6 months with a speed upgrade and then 40 a month for 6 months

same here , no luck with 25Euro 12 month contract at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

also they rang me back saying the speed upgrade would change me to a limited download package!

so i said no thanks, I'm staying as I am and I'll be ringing them again

Advertisement