Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ZyXEL NSA310 1-Bay NAS Media Server (With 500GB HDD) - €90.37 delivered [Dabs.ie]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I see some people have Plex server installed on these........most of my downloads at home are 480p MKV's will this NAS work for me or will i have transcoding issues trying to view these on Android devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

My NSA325 died or at least is not working right. Keeps rebooting itself. Trying to use the Forums over on NAS Central to get some help.
    Hopefully can get the drives accessible through a linux distro so I can move them on to something else.
    Trying to decide to get a 325V2 or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

jabberwock wrote: »
    My NSA325 died or at least is not working right. Keeps rebooting itself. Trying to use the Forums over on NAS Central to get some help.
    Hopefully can get the drives accessible through a linux distro so I can move them on to something else.
    Trying to decide to get a 325V2 or not.

What lights are on the box ?
    Can you login to teh web panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks,
    I'm looking for a little advice on setting up a web share?
    Previously I would share a media folder via FTP with my brother across the web however now I'm looking to share that particular folder with a few other people.

What is the best way to this?
    Ideally I'd like to allow web access to just that specific folder, with a user name/password combo.
    Whats the best way to allow this on the standard Zyxel Firmware?

I've tried the web-publishing option but as far as i can make out his jus publishes the share, it doesn't allow username/password access?
    Unless I'm missing something obvious....

banie01 wrote: »
    Folks,
    I'm looking for a little advice on setting up a web share?
    Previously I would share a media folder via FTP with my brother across the web however now I'm looking to share that particular folder with a few other people.

What is the best way to this?
    Ideally I'd like to allow web access to just that specific folder, with a user name/password combo.
    Whats the best way to allow this on the standard Zyxel Firmware?

I've tried the web-publishing option but as far as i can make out his jus publishes the share, it doesn't allow username/password access?
    Unless I'm missing something obvious....

Down the left there's a groups / shares options. Have a looksie in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Delboy5 wrote: »
    I see some people have Plex server installed on these........most of my downloads at home are 480p MKV's will this NAS work for me or will i have transcoding issues trying to view these on Android devices?

I was running plex but I decided the performance wasn't brilliant and I had a spare desktop so I'm running the plex server on that and just mapping a drive and it is working like a dream (not ideal but works for me).

Ste- wrote: »
    What lights are on the box ?
    Can you login to teh web panel ?

power light comes on, blinks once and stays solid for about 2-3 mins. It then blinks off and stays solid again. Rinse/repeat.

Doesn't appear to get far enough in to boot to pick up a USB with a old firmware (apparent possible fix).

power light comes on, blinks once and stays solid for about 2-3 mins. It then blinks off and stays solid again. Rinse/repeat.

Doesn't appear to get far enough in to boot to pick up a USB with a old firmware (apparent possible fix).

Have you tried taking both drives out and trying to boot that way ?
    With or without a usb stick ?
    Maybe creat an ffp stick adn try boot that with no hard drives isntalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Down the left there's a groups / shares options. Have a looksie in there.

Have done, but for some reason whenever I activate a web publish share and specify user access rather than admin access the web interface itself stops working.
    I get to the zyxel log on screen and after login the connection just times out.
    I'll just carry on with FTP access via web for the time being I think and hope that the folks I want to share with can just get their heads round filezilla ;)

Have you tried taking both drives out and trying to boot that way ?
    With or without a usb stick ?
    Maybe creat an ffp stick adn try boot that with no hard drives isntalled.

done and no luck. removed the battery from the board overnight to let it reset everything. Reset button at the back doesn't appear to do anything either.

USB stick was meant to allow me to go back to 4.50 firmware but the box doesn't appear to get far enough in to pick it up. Losing hope at this point.

Have set up a ubuntu box but don't have the skills needed at the moment to mount the 3tb drives. Will have more time at the weekend to research it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

i had a similar problem, luckily i was still under guarantee, so got replacement. i asked over on nas central and was told it could be fixed, but it required skills that were above my head.

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=15799&p=86719&hilit=nsa+325+v2+keeps+rebooting#p86719

LOL, that was one of the posts that I was using. >.<
    phobia2011 wrote: »
    i had a similar problem, luckily i was still under guarantee, so got replacement. i asked over on nas central and was told it could be fixed, but it required skills that were above my head.

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=15799&p=86719&hilit=nsa+325+v2+keeps+rebooting#p86719

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

For anyone having issues with Flickr on NSA310 or other models there are hotfixes available. Flickr changed from http to https causing the problem

http://www.zyxelforum.de/*hotfix*-flickr-service-funktioniert-nicht-*alle-modelle*-t7484.html

Download the relavent .bin file and add it to the NSA as a firmware update.
    Once the update is finished the green system light will start flashing. If it does not stop flashing after about 15min, turn off the NSA and restart. After about 5 min it should stop flashing. This worked for me and now I can link to my Flickr account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Hi there,

Ever since I updated to the latest firmware (ages ago) I have been unable to access the device as a dlna device on my xbox etc.

Does anyone know how to fix this or know where I would get an older version of the firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Since upgrading to a gigabit router, my NSA310 is frequently crashing when I am transferring a file from my PC to the NAS HDD. It transfers at around 40 MB/s, the NAS CPU usage shoots up to 100% and then it crashes. I have to pull the power to get it to respond, the button on the front will not turn it off.

I've had to switch back to a CAT5 cable and transfer at 11 MB/s for now. But would anyone know if there is a setting I have to change somewhere to stop it crashing, or can I limit the speed so it does not reach 40 MB/s and crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

If you go here you could post to the German support guys who may be able to help.

http://www.zyxelforum.de/nsa300-serie-f168.html

Let google translate be your friend on this site. When I go to the site using Chrome it automatically translates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Oat23 wrote: »
    Since upgrading to a gigabit router, my NSA310 is frequently crashing when I am transferring a file from my PC to the NAS HDD. It transfers at around 40 MB/s, the NAS CPU usage shoots up to 100% and then it crashes.

By any chance do you have "Jumbo frames" enabled in the network settings?

Other thoughts are that one of the media servers, like Plex or the like, is trying to scan the file while it's being copied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I know its late notice... But for anyone looking for the 310S... (not sure of the differences between the 310 i have and this newer looking 310S) but itson ibood till midnight for 29.99 +del

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product-specs/1066/2330/zyxel-nsa310s-1-bay-media-server.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Having a weird issue with my NSA310 since yesterday whereby the Admin screen is completely greyed out when viewed through Chrome. It works fine through Internet Explorer.

Has anyone else come across this issue before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

Have you tried the 'Request desktop site'?

• Advertisement

Anyone know the drive size limit for the NSA310? - Whats the biggest it supports?

I have a 3tb WD in it at the moment and might want to go bigger - anyone tried a 4tb or larger in theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Access wrote: »
    Anyone know the drive size limit for the NSA310? - Whats the biggest it supports?

I have a 3tb WD in it at the moment and might want to go bigger - anyone tried a 4tb or larger in theirs?

Zyxel have a list of compatible disks here:

http://www.zyxel.com/ProductTab.shtml?pid=20130508092208&idx=9&c=gb&l=en

Hope this helps.

maximus02 wrote: »
    Zyxel have a list of compatible disks here:

http://www.zyxel.com/ProductTab.shtml?pid=20130508092208&idx=9&c=gb&l=en

Hope this helps.

Spot on... just the list i needed - seems to take a 6TB no problem!

Thanks maximus02

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Apologies in advance for resurrecting an old thread, I tried posting the problem in the servers sub-forum, but thought here will be more Zyxel users. ANyway, I'm having problems with the external HD connected to the NAS, in that the external HD is not recognised by the PC when I connect it straight to PC.I tried reformatting the HD through the NAS interface, but when connected to PC, Windows can't see the HD properly, it doesn't assign any letter to it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

m4r10 wrote: »
    I tried reformatting the HD through the NAS interface,

This part is probably the problem. The NAS box doesn't use the same file system as Windows.

I'm actually getting a new NSA325 in the next few days and can test it but iirc, you want to use your external as a normal windows format if you plan on moving it back and forth from the nas/pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

This part is probably the problem. The NAS box doesn't use the same file system as Windows.

I'm actually getting a new NSA325 in the next few days and can test it but iirc, you want to use your external as a normal windows format if you plan on moving it back and forth from the nas/pc.

THe external HD was formatted as a NTFS, which Windows should see without problem. I wont move the HD back and forth, just once off as I got a bigger HD to use with the NAS. And anyway, the external HD needs to be formatted at first time use through NAS interface in order to be used, so that's not something you'd want to do very often.

Back to the point, I "think" i got a breakthrough, I formatted the HD as a EXT4, then used Ext2Mgr program to assign a letter to it, and finally was seen in WIndows. As we speak, I have Windows formatting it. Fingers crossed all goes well. I'll update the thread at the end.

PS. It works with the method I tried on, so happy days.

m4r10 wrote: »
    THe external HD was formatted as a NTFS, which Windows should see without problem. I wont move the HD back and forth, just once off as I got a bigger HD to use with the NAS. And anyway, the external HD needs to be formatted at first time use through NAS interface in order to be used, so that's not something you'd want to do very often.

Back to the point, I "think" i got a breakthrough, I formatted the HD as a EXT4, then used Ext2Mgr program to assign a letter to it, and finally was seen in WIndows. As we speak, I have Windows formatting it. Fingers crossed all goes well. I'll update the thread at the end.

cool, I'll be doing something similar myself when I get my new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have a 325 with ages and it is working away grand.
    I upgraded from win 7 to win10 recently and have an issue you may be able to shed some light on?

On win7 when transferring files between laptop and nas I would see speeds of around 11mb?

Since upgrading I now am lucky to see 2.4 on wireless and 500kbs on wired.

Any suggestions?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jpmad4it

hi all. I seem to be having an issue with my NSA310 (lateset firmware 4.70 I think).

It seems to be the Twonky media server which is the issue.

When it is running it seems to hog the CPU. My CPU is always at 100% usage. If I turn off Twonky, the CPU load is around 5%.

I noticed that if I start to stream a movie on another device (TV, phone etc) using Twonky the movie plays fine, but it also seems to remove my NSA310 from the network.....so if I want to play another movie I have to re-toggle Twonky off and then on again.

I've noticed that when I start Twonky and go to the Twonky settings page, it states that Twonky is scanning the media directories. I've left this running overnight a few times and it just seems to hang / crash...... this might explain the issues I am having and also other people are having?

I read a blog about editing the twonkysettings.ini file to change the thumbnail cache settings. Apparently Twonky tries to create thumbnails for all photos on the drive, hogging the CPU and finally crashing. Anyway the changes didn't work for me. I guess I could exclude the photos directory from within the Twonky settings page, and see if it works. I don't really need photos available via DLNA.

Or I might install Plesk or minidlna :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone found a way to change the download location for the Transmission app on these?!

Advertisement