Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So in 50 to 100 hundred years time what do you think people will think of Covid19?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It will be interesting to see how life expectancy changes in the decades ahead. Right now, I could imagine a more clinical mindset taking hold whereby people wonder why we shut down whole economies to save people who were in the twilight of their lives. Because revisionists will always look at the demographics and correctly state that the vast majority were safe from the worst affects of the virus. They'll probably struggle to envision how our health systems were so bad that we couldn't contend with the threat of a virus that's most common sysmpthom was that there were none.
    Alternatively, if life expectancy dramatically and quality into old age increases it will be viewed quite differently.
    We seem to be getting more empathetic(except to unborn babies) so I'd imagine the latter is probably more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think comparisons to Spanish Flu are a bit over-stated. Spanish Flu killed around 50 million people at a time when the world population was much lower. It infected more people, and it also killed the young in high numbers.

Covid-19 isn't going to be a huge part of history books in 100 years. The Spanish Flu was 10x more lethal almost exactly 100 years ago and most people know very little about it today, nor do they care.

Of course it is and will be part of "history" and it will be remembered for other reasons, but in the far distant future the average person will care little and mainstream history books will explain it in a paragraph or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mRNA vaccines may be the story and how they revolutionised medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

In 50 years time they will be still saying the next two weeks are crucial

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

^^This

How do people remember the Spanish flu pandemic a century ago? Many people have heard of it, few have studied it in detail, or would particularly care to

I'm not so sure, I do get the impression that the Spanish Flu is exceptionally poorly remembered because of it's timing, in the middle of a period of massive upheaval and deprivation due to the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I'm not so sure, I do get the impression that the Spanish Flu is exceptionally poorly remembered because of it's timing, in the middle of a period of massive upheaval and deprivation due to the war.

Yes.

Whereas this will be considered a major turning point especially in the world economy after a decade of prosperity.

I expect in 100 years time people will be shaking their head that certain world leaders downplayed the severity and many called it a hoax and went out of their way to purposely not protect themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

It won't be passed over as a blip since the lockdowns are the most significant change in Europe and the world since 1945.

The willed obliteration of culture and freedom and the socio-economic and psychological crushing of whole populations will be seen as an act of mass insanity or death wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The handful left will be living underground, trying to build a time machine to go back and stop Donald Trump before he releases it in China, or whatever garbled historical theory they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They'll be thinking "if we can just flatten the curve..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

They will be hopeful that we can get to level 3.

As no election can be held safely Leo will still be telling them just another 4-6 weeks and we will be over the worst of it.

20210115-145247.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

They’ll look at the picture of Trump supporters storming congress, shirtless with a buffalo headdress on and think we were still Hunter gatherers.

Advertisement