Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The problem with Ben Shapiro

• 09-01-2021 10:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭

I do have to wonder if Ben Shapiro really believes half the arguments he stands for. Or is it just more fun for him play devil's advocate? and thereby challenge his debating skills all the more by standing for the side who's clearly in the wrong?

Unlike most Trump supporters, Shapiro is intelligent. So this makes it funny because he kind of has to admit that Trump is an idiot, and then rationalise it somehow. I first heard him claiming to be a Trump supporter about a year and a half ago in an Andrew Neil interview. His argument at the time was that "he has already done all the damage that he can do"! Strangely, I then heard him make this same argument word for word has recently as October... after all the damage he did relating to Covid! And that's what I mean by being "in his head". A smart person would have adapted that argument!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Xj3tYFKks&ab_channel=BenShapiro

Another thing about him, is that he seems to be very much in his head. I think that's the reason he talks so fast; because he has all the arguments rehearsed to death and feels he has to say them all out. Or maybe he talks fast in order to confuse his opponents. In any case he comes across as very aggressive. I would feel like saying "slow down man; you're going to get to say whatever you want to say".

Don't get me wrong though, I agree with a lot of the points he makes. But at the end of the day, he is just another American debater who polarises everything. He does not appear to care about trying to make people see things for what thy really are, and is instead just pandering to a particular audience. I may not understand everything he is talking about, but I would not trust him for a second. He is a sharp debater. But not a convincing one!

He reminds me of the way I used to be as a teenager... getting a little kick out of winning an argument, but not bothering to try and see the bigger picture, and not even realising that I was actually being an attention seeker. Shapiro is dangerous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's largely an act. He's made good money out of it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

It's largely an act. He's made good money out of it too.
    So are you more intelligent than the average person that you realise it's an act! You, just like me, don't really know to what extent it is an act. If it is at all.

If it's all an act, do you ever think it irritates him that he has to pretend to believe absurd arguments just to make his money? He doesn't seem like the sort who doesn't have a conscience.

Apparently he inhales helium before he speaks to detract credibility from his statements. Another significant flaw of his is when he speaks. By the way, check out this cream that zaps boils in those awkward places.

Spoofer and living infomercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Money is a ridiculously powerful driver.

The end.

By the way, check out this cream that zaps boils in those awkward places.
    Can you be serious for one moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I think you will find that a lot of people who supported trump in the past (whether this is right or wrong) have changed their minds in the last month or so.

I have to say i love watch shapiro and the way he destroys some libtards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I pity his wife more than anyone else in all of this.

In his case and a few others like him a perfectly good arsehole was ruined by adding teeth to their mouths

• Registered Users Posts: 23,795 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

None of these coconuts like Shapiro believe a word they're saying. Its about making yourself a brand to be consumed by fools, by appealing to their fears.

Thats really all to be said about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

He is just the other side of the same disease-riddled coin.

It's all a work.

duffysfarm wrote: »
    I have to say i love watch shapiro and the way he destroys some libtards.
    Me too, but not half as much as I enjoyed he, himself, getting destroyed by Andrew Neil!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

He is a fool. Anyone who denies climate science with such stupid arguments makes me wonder about the future of America.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

First find someone who doesn't know how to debate, then:

"For the sake of argument"

"Hypothetically"

"Facts and logic"

*Smug face*

Post to YouTube with buzzwords for simple minded folk like "libtards" and "DESTROYS" and grift in the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wouldn't be a big fan ,but I do love when when winds someone in and smugly beats their argument or in cases lack of argument

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

listermint wrote: »
    Money is a ridiculously powerful driver.

The end.

Careful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

His sister is a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He certainly is one the most arrogant commentator I've ever come across.

He comes off so badly in this interview with the esteemed Andrew Neil. "I've never heard of you" - squeals Shapiro.

Quite amusing actually.

edit: I do agree with a lot of what he says in this interview, but my God, talk about making a bad job of putting your point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Regardless of whether you stand on the Left or Right, I think we can all mostly agree that Mr. Shapiro is an insufferable knowingly smug prick.

Shapiro is no different to the other pseudo-intellectuals on the reactionary circuit, they offer self-help advice for structural problems. Work harder, get another job, clean your room, make peace with your estranged Da.

About as useful as Anne Frank's tap dancing shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

He seems to believe what he says which is more than can be said for grifters like Kirk, Owens, Rubin etc who are financed by super rich individuals to talk nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Much like Trump is white trash idea of what a rich person is like, Ben Shapiro is a stupid person's idea of an "intellectual/debater".

He uses a number of crude rhetorical devices deployed in a specific structured format that is subsequently edited to get his bad faith "points" across. When he is taken out of that comfort zone the only person being "destroyed" is him (even if the other person is on his side). To the point he will simply walk away than actually debate someone in anything approaching a fair setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Shapiro is no different to the other pseudo-intellectuals on the reactionary circuit, they offer self-help advice for structural problems. Work harder, get another job, clean your room, make peace with your estranged Da.

About as useful as Anne Frank's tap dancing shoes.

I don't think it makes much difference what they are saying. It's the fact we give such unwarranted attention to anyone of his ilk at all just cuz their many opinions.

AllForIt wrote: »
    such unwarranted attention

YouTube's algorithm has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

More Statesian drivel for no-lifers to get worked up over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Who the **** is Ben Shapiro?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

KungPao wrote: »
    Who the **** is Ben Shapiro?

You live a wonderful life, not knowing who he is. I'd suggest you don't bother finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

He's awful. His ridiculous fast talking and smarmy attitude means if he ever has remotely anything I might agree with him on it will get lost in my contempt for him.

He is not an intellectual, he he just repeating pull yourself up by your bootstraps, divisive right wing rhetoric that is not even worth listening to.

He also has said some disgusting things about Arabs in relation to isreal.

There are right wing people who can get their point across without acting like a teenage girl arguing with their parents he is not one. He is so abrasive and rude.

He rarely mentions how his opinions are largely driven by his religious beliefs. He's very, very religious but doesn't let on. It's becomes clear in some of his Joe Rogan interviews. Like no sex before marriage. Homosexuality is an abomination. Morality can only come from God. All the usuals. I'm never going to put much stock in anyone coming from that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

He rarely mentions how his opinions are largely driven by his religious beliefs. He's very, very religious but doesn't let on. It's becomes clear in some of his Joe Rogan interviews. Like no sex before marriage. Homosexuality is an abomination. Morality can only come from God. All the usuals. I'm never going to put much stock in anyone coming from that position.
    And at the same time facts don't care about your feelings. But you base your opinions on a feeling.

Lets just ignore the big god shaped elephant in the room.

Advertisement