Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Realising that the Kennedy Assassination is alot closer to Italia '90 than Italia '90 is to todays date.......

In my head during Italia '90, JFK would have been Ancient History!!!

Ergo....italia '90 is ancient history now to most young people today.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xper

is_that_so wrote: »
    Being told you look good for your age!

No longer being told you look good for your age!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

I had to break into a fast sprint yesterday. Something went down in chinatown. I actually sorted out the issue. BUT that sprint had me thinking - i felt my knee about to go "old football injury".. My chest is a bit sore "from smoking".. My hamstrings are a bit tender.. Honestly feeling my age after yesterday's 4/5 minute sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Thinking about the passage of time using movies is sometimes bewildering.

For example the difference between now and Ridley Scott's Gladiator is the same as the difference between Gladiator and Ridley Scott's Alien.

I would still consider Gladiator to be a fairly modern movie and yet at the time it was released Alien seemed like an old classic from a totally different era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I find myself losing interest in alcohol since I got older. I just feel tired and queasy now after a few beers while before I'd get a nice relaxing buzz from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Realising that the Kennedy Assassination is alot closer to Italia '90 than Italia '90 is to todays date.......

In my head during Italia '90, JFK would have been Ancient History!!!

Ergo....italia '90 is ancient history now to most young people today.....
    Here's something to cheer you up...not. Italia 90 dead players - and since video was made we can add Alan McLoughlin and Maradona at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Here's something to cheer you up...not. Italia 90 dead players - and since video was made we can add Alan McLoughlin and Maradona at least.

Leo Clijsters? He was actually Kim Clijsters father so his legacy is intact in the sports

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

When your arguing about medication with your spouse

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I worked with a 65 year old guy. Ran circles around the 20 year old guys. What a legend he was. They don't make them like they used to.

I was on a job and this grey haired lad who was a builder is put him at about 60 went I can't bend down to show you where it is but it's down there see I have just had my knees replaced.
    10 minutes later I watched him one armed step up on the first rung and hop over a cow gate in one movement and landed on both feet.
    I didn't want him to turn around and watch 33 year old me climbing each rung and climbing down the other side.
    Age is only a number it's what you do with your body that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Already, if you talk about combined phone and fax machines that used rolls of thermal (thermic) paper .....oh how quaint.
    Then if you mention what was before the fax, the TELEX!!!, total incomprehension. It was only about 35 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A couple of years back I was browsing in Oxfam and this chap walked in and asked the girl behind the counter would they take a hi-fi. Then he called it a stereo, to help her. Nothing. The silence was deafening, the puzzled look on her face made it clear she was wondering whether they were spare parts for an alien spaceship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

babi-hrse wrote: »
    When your arguing about medication with your spouse

When you only know what day it is, by the tablets left in your preloaded dispenser.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

When you think playing golf is plenty exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,150 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

When you eat your dinner and need a sleep after it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

After a few beers at home you want a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Yesterday I noticed myself drying the recycling waste that I had just washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

One of your children is engaged, or one is married .you recycle all the bottles
    if you buy wine.
    you buy a newspaper every sunday.
    you listen to rte 1 radio
    you watch tv news everyday
    You spend 100s of euros on gym gear or a hitech bike
    your mortgage is 10 years old at least
    you can remember a time when anyone working could afford to buy a house
    you remember a time when emigration was a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Yesterday I noticed myself drying the recycling waste that I had just washed.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

My knees are making weird popping noises. No pain, just weird acoustics.

The falling apart years have begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

BuboBubo wrote: »
    My knees are making weird popping noises. No pain, just weird acoustics.

The falling apart years have begun.

Had that the other night. Nothing like a bit of crepitus to remind you you're getting on.

That said I climbed 3 peaks of the Galtees this morning with some people who were maybe 25 years older than me, if I am like them when I am older I will be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When you are contemplating as I was this evening doing 30 minutes on my exercise bike after fûcking around on boards... but getting too comfy here and not lamenting the 30 minutes of exercise but lamenting the having to get up to walk to the bike... !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

varifocal contact lenses are great for covering that up ;)

Did they take much getting used to? Any down sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Gout. How on earth could a young wan like me have gout. That doctor is raving. ��

Beware of the varifocals, I fell down the stairs using them. I went back to bifocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some company's still use telex as its more secure , it works on a standard phone line
    and it can be stored like a receipt
    Hackers can't erase a printed telex message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Grey hairs starting but I quite like them.

Needing more potent skincare actives to fight the wrinkles.

Still very flexible according to my physio but have a shoulder injury that's taking months to heal, whereas years ago it would be fine by now.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was watching a very good documentary called "Crime of the century"* and in the back of my head I was thinking the 20th...

*about the US pharmaceutical industry and how it peddled opiates with bought political help that killed hundreds of thousands. Well worth a watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

when your drug of choice becomes ibuprofen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You know you're old when the woman you're married to has been a granny since 1997.

Or when you have to stop for a pee when driving for any length over 1 hour. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Oh damn! I just remembered it's my eldest's 37th birthday today! :eek:

Better get a card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

When badly written headlines in the paper pisses you off, e.g. Ruthless Belgium beat Finland to make it three wins from three.
    Andwhen you have to read them a few times before they make sense. Sorry, no examples of those ones.

Advertisement