Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should we go back to year one? Change the year?

• 08-09-2020 10:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

The who idea of 2020, etc is based on Jesus' birth, which isn't even 1 AD and was more likely 4 BC.

Let the year COVID is solved be our new enlightenment and start back from year 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

OK, but if we do lets start at 69.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

The who idea of 2020, etc is based on Jesus' birth, which isn't even 1 AD and was more likely 4 BC.

Let the year COVID is solved be our new enlightenment and start back from year 0.

It's just a measure of time just as money is a measure of wealth but it is does not measure one's wealth of knowledge. Try live in the present moment and forgot about time and the measurement of it as there is only the present moment the here and now there is no past and there is no future.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nice try Pol Pot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Let the year COVID is solved be our new enlightenment and start back from year 0.

If we were going to change the clocks, perhaps we should pick something more significant like maybe the end of the last Ice age (July 19th)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

So it wouldn't be Before Christ but before covid?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

We'll even ave a tune for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

isnt some countries already in the year 4328? orthodox hindus or something (jamie?)

time is only a measurement of vibration. man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

1990sman wrote: »
    isnt some countries already in the year 4328? orthodox hindus or something (jamie?)

Says 1990s man, haha!

oh and commies already have Before Common Era, u can go identify with that nonsense somewhere else bud

Panthro wrote: »
    Says 1990s man, haha!
    no seriously man, i heard it years ago, some countries or cultures are on a totally different calendar

• Advertisement

i need a jamie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

There's never a year zero in any calendar system or proposed system.
    Each has a first year - which is called year 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In China you are born aged one. Bit off topic I know but something to consider in this cunning plan perhaps?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Supercell wrote: »
    In China you are born aged one. Bit off topic I know but something to consider in this cunning plan perhaps?

arse-tweets.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why ? What would be the ‘positive’ be to society.

We are going to reset the calendar because ... we are bored ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

no seriously man, i heard it years ago, some countries or cultures are on a totally different calendar

there are many different calendars used around the world. They each think it is a different year. In japan the year resets to one when a new emperor i crowned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Year_in_various_calendars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why would you go back to the year zero and then have to re-use years eventually? Start at 10,000 or something. I'm sure there wouldn't be any typos or anything messy like that! ;)
    oh and commies already have Before Common Era, u can go identify with that nonsense somewhere else bud
    I think you'll find that the Jews used it more than the commies (and before Communism was even a thing) but a lot of Jews were commies too. They wanted to avoid mentioning 'Christ' in BC, and AD, 'the year of Our Lord'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You're like the Boards Disco Stu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I think the Chinese were right, the year should start sometime in February

I think the Chinese were right, the year should start sometime in February

I’m expecting a caps lock on tweet from The Donald any moment now. How could you mention the Chinese being right? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Let the year COVID is solved be our new enlightenment and start back from year 1.

Na plough on, I'm sure I ll be resurrected again soon anyway, you can hold off till then, as you ll only be wrecking me head otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nexytus wrote: »
    There's never a year zero in any calendar system or proposed system.
    Each has a first year - which is called year 1.

Conclusion - we need to get programmers to advise the calendar people how to do numbers properly.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement