Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What about the lyrics of Rule Brittania...ruling the waves and never ever being slaves, is that offensive too considering they were the largest slave owners on the face of the earth?
    They don't sing this verse much.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ingalway

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Slightly fake news, I mean he is freelance for starters, so technically they cannot suspend him?

“After listeners raised concerns, Steve acknowledged some of his comments on air didn’t meet the standards we expect. He is taking a break but will be back in the New Year.”

There is a follow up article in The Mail. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8710535/BBC-hold-avoiding-racial-bias-training-session-air-talent-ahead-new-football-season.html

I have to admit I had a chuckle at a few of these. I don't care what anyone says, this is where fascism rears its' ugliness. When you start banning language or colloquialisms over inferred meanings you are in trouble.

LANGUAGE TO AVOID THIS SEASON
    *all of the copy below has been taken from the BBC's Avoiding Racial Bias guide, as seen by Sportsmail:

CAKEWALK – The cakewalk originated as a dance performed by enslaved black people on plantations before the American Civil War. Owners held contests in which slaves competed for a cake.

Alternatives – 'this is turning into a breeze, a walk in the park...'

NITTY GRITTY
    – Thought to refer to the detritus found in the bottom of boats once a shipment of slaves had been removed from the hold. The 'nit' refers to a parasitic insect – the 'grits' are the grain which would have been used as a cheap foodstuff to keep a slave ship's cargo barely fed.

Alternatives – 'the basic facts', 'the most important aspects or practical details', 'the key parts or substance'

SOLD DOWN THE RIVER – In the 19th century, black slaves were literally sold down the river to plantation owners further south where brutal conditions awaited. The use of that phrase in a sporting context waters down that association it has with slavery.

Alternatives – 'that back pass left the keeper with no chance', 'put the keeper in an impossible position'

UPPITY – A word used by white people during racial segregation in the USA to describe black people they believed weren't showing them enough deference. Black men and women were lynched by white mobs for seeming 'too uppity'.

Alternatives – 'agitated', 'chirpy', 'jumpy', 'uptight', 'troubled', 'perturbed', 'het up'

Ask yourself now what the reaction might be to words/phrases like 'blackballed', 'blacklist', 'black mark', 'whiter than white'? Can you understand why someone might associate black = bad, white = good?

There are alternatives:

BLACKBALLED/BLACKLISTED
    – rejected, shunned, excluded, barred, snubbed.

BLACK MARK
    – his reputation has been tainted/tarnished, he has a blot on his reputation. I sniggered at this one myself.

WHITER THAN WHITE – beyond reproach, spotless, unblemished, immaculate, impeccable.
    Where does Black Friday fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Quoting myself from the BLM thread a few months ago...

And now....

The DJs formerly known as Detroit Swindle have changed their name to Dam Swindle.

The Dutch duo, real names Lars Dales and Maarten Smeets, announced the change on social media, writing: “When we chose the name Detroit Swindle back in 2011, it was done as a homage to the music from the motor city … We added the ‘Swindle’ to make sure people wouldn’t think we were claiming to be from Detroit.

“We never intended to claim ownership over something that was not ours to claim. We’ve always been open about this when people asked us about our name, and we’ve made sure this was stated clearly in our bio. Even though we have always been clear about our intentions, our name has still sparked conversations about cultural appropriation.”

The band, Asia, will have to change their name too.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ingalway

Rothko wrote: »
    Nah, Asians are counted as white now. They have become so successful they are practically the oppressors themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

ingalway wrote: »
    Nah, Asians are counted as white now. They have become so successful they are practically the oppressors themselves.

Ah, it's so hard to keep up with all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ah, it's so hard to keep up with all this.
    I think that is intentional. They are constantly moving the goalposts of what you can and can't say to keep people off-balance and constantly on edge.
    Even the wokest of the woke seem to have a hard time keeping up with it at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I use Nitty Gritty all the time.

Every day, I had no idea where it came from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Spotify played one of my favourite songs today by “Lady A” when and why did ths bands name change ???

Is it my privilege making me miss something or are they just woke asshats???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I use Nitty Gritty all the time.

Every day, I had no idea where it came from.
    https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-nit2.htm

The first known example in print has recently been found by Fred Shapiro of Yale University, in the Pittsburgh Courier of 29 June 1940: “Any convention goes lacking when that Joe Louis clenches his fists, put on the gloves, and steps into the ring in his pretty satin trunks and whips another guy down in the ‘nitty-gritty.’” The expression is almost certainly older (I know of two people who claim to have come across it in the 1920s). But it’s inconceivable that it should have been around since slave-ship days without somebody writing it down. Its meaning — the fundamental issues, the heart of the matter, or the most important aspects of some situation — also doesn’t suggest a connection.

Its origins are elusive. One explanation is that it is a reduplication — through the same mechanism that has given us namby-pamby and itsy-bitsy — of the standard English gritty. This has a literal sense of containing or being covered with grit, but figuratively means showing courage and resolve, so a link with the modern sense is plausible

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Spotify played one of my favourite songs today by “Lady A” when and why did ths bands name change ???

Is it my privilege making me miss something or are they just woke asshats???

Antebellum means before the war, usually used in reference to the southern slave states of the us before the civil war

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Antebellum means before the war, usually used in reference to the southern slave states of the us before the civil war

I do stand corrected - thank you QE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

I googled Lady A to see who they were, and Google corrected it to Lady Antebellum for me. :pac:

Its origins are elusive. One explanation is that it is a reduplication — through the same mechanism that has given us namby-pamby and itsy-bitsy — of the standard English gritty. This has a literal sense of containing or being covered with grit, but figuratively means showing courage and resolve, so a link with the modern sense is plausible

I find it interesting because there are definitely differences between American English, and British (or traditional) English.. which Americans are all too willing to tell us many of the differences (I get it a lot when living abroad)... but when it comes to the meaning, connotations, and use of a word (which they have deemed it to be offensive), then all English users are one big happy family, where everyone needs to play ball.

Why can't we just push American English over to their side of the world, and leave our own language free of this slave/racial BS which we've had no part of? These words have no racial connotation among any of the people I asked (I've gone through many of the words listed on this thread, asking friends what they thought... and nope.. a few guessed right but they were guesses based on knowing the overall topic ie. racism/slavery)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ingalway wrote: »
    Where does Black Friday fit in?

You’ll end up turning up to a funeral in a black limo and people will be calling you racist.... the word ‘black’ doesn’t belong to any race, person or group. Depending on its use it’s an adjective, noun or verb. Has been for centuries.

I’m currently wearing a BLACK T-shirt, BLACK socks, BLACK JEANS... if that offends anybody.... I’d be grateful if they’d jump into the Liffey, head first...

If I’m shopping on BLACK Friday and the shops happen to be BLACK with people.....deal with it... if I order a BLACK car.. pint of the ‘BLACK stuff’... deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Strumms wrote: »

You’ll end up turning up to a funeral in a black limo and people will be calling you racist.... the word ‘black’ doesn’t belong to any race, person or group. Depending on its use it’s an adjective, noun or verb. Has been for centuries.

I’m currently wearing a BLACK T-shirt, BLACK socks, BLACK JEANS... if that offends anybody.... I’d be grateful if they’d jump into the Liffey, head first...

If I’m shopping on BLACK Friday and the shops happen to be BLACK with people.....deal with it... if I order a BLACK car.. pint of the ‘BLACK stuff’... deal with it.

If you look carefully you’re actually wearing really really dark blue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Blue!!??? Fear gorm. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I’m wearing this..

8561540a819ff1a6bee2787ed23927f3

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No such thing as a "blackout" anymore either. It's a power outage

sligojoek wrote: »

True story... but when I did night shift for a year I had to go buy blackout blinds to assist with my sleep...

Nowadays if I walked into a shop and asked for that I’d probably get arrested... boycotted and breathalyzed :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Lady Antebellum changed their name after the Black Lives Matter because racism.

Unfortunately there already is a 'Lady A' - a 61-year-old black woman whose real name is Anita White and has been using the name for more than 20 years.

They're now suing her to get control of the name because obviously having a name that has nothing to do with racism is racist but legal action against a black person to steal their name is totally cool :pac:

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/07/09/889355126/lady-a-the-band-sues-lady-a-the-singer

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »

I drank so much last night I had a power outage... (I'm glad it wasn't just a temporary/ intermittent reduction in wattage due to overload...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Irish Times
    En5w96AXYAEVeiI?format=jpg&name=medium

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Irish Times

Ah well, there's always the Wan King path..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Irish Times

Can't blame them. It's the quality of the particular 'tourist' that the village name attracted that eventually put them off the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Yeah, from what I've read on it, they were spending a load on replacing signposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This may come as a surprise to many wokits, but not everyone thinks exactly the same as you do.
    Thankfully there are support groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

Brilliant!

46 Long wrote: »
    Lady Antebellum changed their name after the Black Lives Matter because racism.

Unfortunately there already is a 'Lady A' - a 61-year-old black woman whose real name is Anita White and has been using the name for more than 20 years.

They're now suing her to get control of the name because obviously having a name that has nothing to do with racism is racist but legal action against a black person to steal their name is totally cool :pac:

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/07/09/889355126/lady-a-the-band-sues-lady-a-the-singer

So what started as black lives ‘matter’ ...is actually black lives are more important then anyone else’s life...so much so they want to tell people what to and what they CAN call themselves, how to behave and how to think...

Last bunch of people who carried on like that caused a fûck load of trouble and misery in the world, wore uniforms, insignia and were violent... let’s see where this goes when the inevitable pushback happens as is beginning to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Irish Times

tenor.gif

This isn't anything to do with being woke. It's because of loutish tourists causing problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement