Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭ollkiller

I don't know of you're aware but there are multiple
    economic articles that confirm that immigration in the short term drives wages down but in the long term increases productivity and wage levels. So if your argument is that immigration decreases wage levels then you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well it depends on a few things too. The US was a colony based on and needing immigrants. Secondly Irish people can "pass" as local far more easily than African, or Asian. Indeed that was one point of bitterness between African and Irish Americans in the 19th century, that the latter had an advantage out of the box over their darker brethren looking for employment.
    Those are both factors. But they're both factors that impact the perceptions of the host nation. The Windrush generation in the UK might argue that simply being needed for their labour didn't mean they were welcomed. But Irish people's whiteness certainly helps a white host nation to forget to be racist towards them and facilitate them fitting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A lot of new accounts with low post counts around today. It's like they all text each other for emotional support.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ollkiller wrote: »
    economic articles that confirm that immigration in the short term drives wages down but in the long term increases productivity and wage levels. So if your argument is that immigration decreases wage levels then you're wrong.

Decreases wage levels for poor people through increasing supply of labour, increases salaries for people who profit from cheap labour. Both things can be true.

ollkiller wrote: »

The key word missing from your post is "legal".

Legal immigration is a good thing for an economy. It is the illegal migrants that are a met drain on resources. I really hate how people deliberately muddle the two in order to fit their agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Plenty of ye do nothing but think about race, clearly.

Something you seem destined to lose. Considering you can’t overcome the first hurdle..

Decreases wage levels for poor people through increasing supply of labour, increases salaries for people who profit from cheap labour. Both things can be true.

It specifically relates to low wages. Short term dip, long term increase. The only reason i know it is economics was one of the subjects on my degree course. I'll dig out a link to the theory.

The key word missing from your post is "legal".

Legal immigration is a good thing for an economy. It is the illegal migrants that are a met drain on resources. I really hate how people deliberately muddle the two in order to fit their agenda.

Well I was commenting on legal immigration. As for illegal immigration take that up with your government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Immigration and multiculturalism are different things really but I feel both have been and are good, not just for Ireland but the world.

Extremists on either side of the spectrum tend to dominate the market when it comes to discussion unfortunately.

I do also think it must be handled correctly and that unfortunately also some cultures just clash a little too much to mix properly and struggle to find common ground.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People bang on about multiculturalism failing in other countries because of a few things they see in the news or websites, when in reality multiculturalism works very well in the UK and France etc for the most part.
    Personally I couldn't care less who lives in Ireland, it makes Dublin way more interesting to me anyway to have lots of different people and cultures here. People lamenting losing our own culture, well every generation is different anyway and our Grandparents would have been moaning about things changing too. People are people in my view and I don't care where my neighbour is from as long as they're decent folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The best way to argue for multiculturalism is by showing examples of countries where it works.

biko wrote: »
    The best way to argue for multiculturalism is by showing examples of countries where it works.

The UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, Ireland...

Good, now we're getting somewhere.
    Can you elaborate on Germany?
    Have the Turks integrated well?

Possibly India or Uganda?

biko wrote: »
    Good, now we're getting somewhere.
    Can you elaborate on Germany?
    Have the Turks integrated well?

Yeah the Turks have. I used to go out with a girl from Hamburg, there are lovely parts of the city with loads of Turkish restaurants and cafes etc. Same in Berlin and many cities in Germany. The Turks make up about 5% of the German population and add a lot to the country if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

People bang on about multiculturalism failing in other countries because of a few things they see in the news or websites, when in reality multiculturalism works very well in the UK and France etc for the most part.

What I've seen in the news, and on websites is political leaders of the UK and Germany - Cameron and Merkel - declare very clearly that multicuilturalism is a failed project, and needs to be superseded.

Some of us 'bang on' about it because we have personal experience of decades of living in these multi-kulti paradises.

They are a disaster.

OF course, despite this being done times, here, we still have this lazy and uninformed equivalence between 'immigration' and 'multiculturalism'.

They are not the same, and people reveal their non-qualification to speak about these things until they grasp the crucial difference.
    Personally I couldn't care less who lives in Ireland, it makes Dublin way more interesting to me anyway to have lots of different people and cultures here. People lamenting losing our own culture, well every generation is different anyway and our Grandparents would have been moaning about things changing too. People are people in my view and I don't care where my neighbour is from as long as they're decent folks.

What you are referencing there is a multi-ethnic Ireland, not a multicultural one.

Do you know the difference ?

Multiculturalism is toxic, poisonous, failed BS. That is the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Big fan of immigration. EU/EEA immigration, Most Eastern European immigration, South/Central American immigration, Far East Asian immigration, Some Indian immigration, immigration from AUS/NZ, USA-Canada. That is all.

Big fan of immigration. EU/EEA immigration, Most Eastern European immigration, South/Central American immigration, Far East Asian immigration, Some Indian immigration, immigration from AUS/NZ, USA-Canada. That is all.

You're missing out on a very large continent there lad

Good to see the white man integrating down there too, the way they treated the aboriginals - including us Irish, our president even apologised.
    My point is people are mostly the same everywhere, some good some bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You're missing out on a very large continent there lad

Oh.... I did, didn't I.

Oh.... I did, didn't I.

There's and edit option on your post if you want to change it before you get called something beginning with R

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

o1s1n wrote: »
    Have you seen how many doctors working in our hospitals aren't Irish?

How many Philipina nurses work in our wards?

How many high paying roles in IT companies are populated with people from all over the globe?

You do realise they're all immigrants too, right?

I never mentioned them you have

They're professional people who are adding to society and I think they're doing a great job.

Myself and the local foreign guy's and women get on great, so what's your point ????

What you are referencing there is a multi-ethnic Ireland, not a multicultural one.

Do you know the difference ?

Multiculturalism is toxic, poisonous, failed BS. That is the difference.

Ok well for the most part it doesn't cause any problems, certainly not in Ireland anyway. I don't know where you all get the energy to allow this stuff to bother you, it's not going to change any time soon...
    Focus on something positive, go out and clear up some rubbish or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Good to see the white man integrating down there too, the way they treated the aboriginals - including us Irish, our president even apologised.

That much is true. Wasn't up until the mid 60's that the Aboriginals were classed as vermin?Or is my thinking mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Yeah the Turks have. I used to go out with a girl from Hamburg, there are lovely parts of the city with loads of Turkish restaurants and cafes etc. Same in Berlin and many cities in Germany. The Turks make up about 5% of the German population and add a lot to the country if you ask me.

They haven't really integrated because after 2 generations if you integrate you disappear. That said they are not a hostile force within Germany, either and its nice to get good kebabs.

That much is true. Wasn't up until the mid 60's that the Aboriginals were classed as vermin?Or is my thinking mixed up.

Still are in all of places , when I was they're a lot of Aussies didn't like them . They've had huge social problems with alcohol that's doing their community no favours .

The white man didn't integrate down there, he replaced.

WTF is the dwarf apologising for something which is Australian history? We didn't run that state. At this stage we've probably apologised more than the Spanish and Portuguese.

Anybody notice that they havent taken down or attacked the hundreds of Statues of Columbus around Spain, Italy and even South America.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

They were legally part of the "flora and fauna" of Australia.

• Advertisement

Still are in all of places , when I was they're a lot of Aussies didn't like them . They've had huge social problems with alcohol that's doing their community no favours .

No he means literally. Literally as fauna I think. Animals.

But that turns out to be a myth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_and_Fauna_Act

Advertisement