Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest Band/Act to play in Ireland

Options
  • 12-04-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭

Who was the biggest band/act to play in Ireland in your opinion ???

The Beatles
    Frank Sinatra played here in the 80s

Elvis Presley never played here or in europe for that matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Pope John Paul 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Oops! wrote: »
    Pope John Paul 11

Post match, I'd be doing the old 'ah no, sure i'll jump in the shower at home'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Army number 1 band has about thirty soldiers in it and I think UB40 have ten members, pretty big bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Saw bad manners play here a few years back. That buster bloodvessel is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Michael Jackson..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

After the Beatles it would be Rihanna then Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Virgin Mary
    AKA The Mother of God

She played Knock and Ballinspitle.
    Big crowds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Must be U2 with the garrentee'd sellout of multiple nights in croke park? Would have been Garth Brooks if that was organised properly, with an easing of concerts for a few years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Pope John Paul 11

not a great gig though, didn't play many tunes...and the ones he did were all in latin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Meat loaf during his fat phase...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Couldn't count U2 - they're great but not the biggest.

Queen at Slane?
    Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Bruce Springsteen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Couldn't count U2 - they're great but not the biggest.

Queen at Slane?
    Rolling Stones
    The Who
    Bruce Springsteen

How are they not the biggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

How are they not the biggest?

I know that best selling doesn't equal biggest but take a look at these lists on Wiki - not even in the top 20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I suppose as time showed the Beatles are still the most important band to have played here or anywhere for that matter. Massive acts like Queen the rolling stones plus heaps more would deserve a mention depending on personal taste i would say .I think in terms of history you could say the stones are the second but that is really open to debate and there are different ways to back up any choice as all the big acts have played here now unlike years ago when we not really considered .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

After the Beatles it would be Rihanna then Jackson

Rihanna ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pope John Paul 11

I don't remember Pope John Pauls 3 through 10

Beatles are both the biggest selling and most influential band in history so it's not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Silly thread, biggest band/artist is amorphous.

Sure, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Kings of Leon were one time biggest bands in the World.

It's not like we're Albania or something.

As for Rihanna...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Frank Sinatra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

KaneToad wrote: »
    Rihanna ??

7th largest ever.

1. Beatles
    2. Elvis
    3. Jackson
    4. Madonna
    5. Elton John
    6. Lez Zepelin
    7. Rihanna
    8. Pink Floyd
    9. Eminem
    10. Taylor Swift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Birneybau wrote: »
    I don't remember Pope John Pauls 3 through 10

They're very underrated

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fryup wrote: »
    not a great gig though, didn't play many tunes...and the ones he did were all in latin :cool:

"huge fan of his. He gives good mass. He really knows how to work the alter. Look at that chalice work, effortless.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Album sales would only be one of many criteria in determining "the biggest".

U2 would be as big as it gets when it comes to bands and especially when it comes to live acts. 4 decades of being a huge band. 3 of which have seen numerous number one singles and albums. 4 decades of selling out stadia across dozens of countries across all the continents. I can't imagine any other act coming close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Nirvana

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

BailMeOut wrote: »
    7th largest ever.

1. Beatles
    2. Elvis
    3. Jackson
    4. Madonna
    5. Elton John
    6. Lez Zepelin
    7. Rihanna
    8. Pink Floyd
    9. Eminem
    10. Taylor Swift

Biggest band ever to come out of France

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭MenloPete

Jackson Browne
    They had to build a special runway just to get him down to Lisdoonvarna
    Ooooh Lisdoonvarna, Lisdoon, Lisdoon, Lisdoon, Lidoonvarna

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I know that best selling doesn't equal biggest but take a look at these lists on Wiki - not even in the top 20

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

i had no idea rihanna was in that league in terms of sales , slightly surprised elton john is in the top tier too to be honest

I suppose as time showed the Beatles are still the most important band to have played here or anywhere for that matter. Massive acts like Queen the rolling stones plus heaps more would deserve a mention depending on personal taste i would say .I think in terms of history you could say the stones are the second but that is really open to debate and there are different ways to back up any choice as all the big acts have played here now unlike years ago when we not really considered .

the beatles didnt really do big stadium performances , at least not in europe

i think they played a relatively small gig in dublin in their early years before they became more experimental

Beatles are both the biggest selling and most influential band in history so it's not even close.

everyone knows that but they never played a huge gig here , thats a fact

more to a gig - concert - event ( in terms of stature ) then who is headlining

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    everyone knows that but they never played a huge gig here , thats a fact

more to a gig - concert - event ( in terms of stature ) then who is headlining

Fair enough. Thats a different question than the one initially asked though.

Advertisement