Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

I'm being serious.

I'm a republican and I thought this point needed to be made so I've made it and I'll leave it at that.

Ya but you're the only one who gives a flying **** if it's Northern Ireland or Monaghan. And to be honest when you look at this story and that's the issue you take from it then you might want to re-evaluate your priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

MadYaker wrote: »
    If I was a truck driver anywhere in Europe I’d be opening every trailer to see what’s inside before towing it anywhere.

Why are these migrants so focused on getting to the UK? It’s not the most generous welfare state in Europe. Ireland, Germany or the Netherlands would all be smarter options if they’re looking to freeload but you get fcuk all as an illegal anyway. I’d wager most of them were young men looking for work.

The uk don't require photoID to be carried at all times, hence the black market and organised crime is more of an attraction to operate in. Just take a look at their 'county lines' (1,000 gangs), up 40% from last year, churning over nearly £2bn, voilent crime is up again there for the 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's a pretty big (and serious) mistake.

And if they were claiming a sports victory or something people would point it out. But in this context, it's a fair bit down on the order of things to pay attention to.

This is like something from The Wire, where a vent was blocked by accident on a container.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭derrymcorry

Have you considered the merits of a long walk on a short pier.

No, as a matter of fact. I have not considered the merits of the above. Have you?
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Every news article I have read is still saying he's from NI.

Where did the Monaghan thing come from?

Paul Reynolds on RTÉ News.

How the hell could you confuse Monaghan with NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The fact they said he was from Northern Ireland when he was in fact from County Monaghan. This is an illegal territorial claim as they made out that County Monaghan was in NI.

Isn't it bad enough they have the Six Counties?

FFS. Get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

No, as a matter of fact. I have not considered the merits of the above. Have you?

Paul Reynolds on RTÉ News.

How the hell could you confuse Monaghan with NI?

And yet RTE website are also saying a man from Northern Ireland has been arrested. Perhaps, and this is just a guess, but maybe at this early stage there is conflicting information and it really doesn't matter where he is from/lives.

That, or you're trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

A lot of containers will have a seal on them which the driver can't break, he may have just been doing traction as an independent driver and been completely oblivious to what he was pulling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's a pretty big (and serious) mistake.

Actually considering what the issue is here it means sweet **** all. If you imagine it does you have issues to deal with assuming you are not trolling of course.

There was a guy on Niall Boylan about an hour ago saying he saw the truck driving southbound northbound of Drogheda on the M1.

Could there be any truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭celt262

There was a guy on Niall Boylan about an hour ago saying he saw the truck driving southbound northbound of Drogheda on the M1.

Definitely not the truck is in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Horrible thing to have happened. Absolutely horrible.
    Human trafficking, for sex purposes or cheap labour, or because traffickers make huge amounts of money on the migrant dash, is an enormous trade. Hundreds of thousands of people wvery year. One third of people trafficked originate in the Balkans. There are well established rat runs, corrupt officials, backhanders, criminal investment because far more money can be made off people nowadays, even more than from drugs or arms, and there is relatively lax policing. Europe is ideal for traffickers because of more "open borders" relaxed monitoring . Traffickers are also the backbone of the migrancy across the Med, aided and abetted by NGOs. It is modern slavery. The surplus even go to slave markets in North Africa. Brothels here have plenty of trafficked women. Yep, Ireland. Trafficked slaves here. For every person craw thumping about this horrible tragic incident, there are fellow neighbours and citizens casually using the services or labour provided by trafficked humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

Thirty nine people have died and people actually care that someone from another country confused a county which is in fact in the Northerly half of the Island of Ireland, with Northern Ireland. Wow.

Absolutely horrible way to go for anyone, never mind such a huge number. I feel very sorry for the truck driver. Even if he did know people were in the truck (which I doubt, the punishment isn't worth the reward), then this will have an horrendous toll on him also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why do people keep replying to an obvious troll? :confused:

Because people are stupid I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Priti Patel also said that he was from Northern Ireland.

COUNTY MONAGHAN IS IN THE REPUBLIC YOU STUPID WOMAN!

Rant over.

Get over it, you Londonderry flute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

If I was a truck driver anywhere in Europe I’d be opening every trailer to see what’s inside before towing it anywhere.

Why are these migrants so focused on getting to the UK? It’s not the most generous welfare state in Europe. Ireland, Germany or the Netherlands would all be smarter options if they’re looking to freeload but you get fcuk all as an illegal anyway. I’d wager most of them were young men looking for work.

You can't if it is sealed by customs

celt262 wrote: »
    Definitely not the truck is in England.

He said he saw it a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

There are two serious aspects of this case:

2. The fact that Essex Police has said that the driver was from Northern Ireland when in fact he was from County Monaghan. This is a British police force suggesting a territorial claim over a part of another country and it is a monumental disgrace.

Oh, cop on and stop searching for excuses to start a Ireland/UK flame war ffs. You're hijacking a massive human tragedy to pick over the bones of an ancient conflict.

Maybe the police made a mistake? Maybe, just maybe, there's been a different mistake and he is in fact from one of the six counties? Details are sketchy, the situation is confusing and complex. Not everything is yet known. And even if the cops have made a mistake they, unlike you, aren't using this tragedy to pick a fight. They're not making a claim over anything, rather they're trying to figure out how a truck full of corpses arrived in their country.

Illegal immigrants can't claim benefits, so it is irrelevant to them. They would be looking for work and a better way of life, or at least whoever is trafficking them would be promising them that.

The Morecambe bay disaster gives a bit of an insight https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Morecambe_Bay_cockling_disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Can we please ignore the troll and get back to the discussion on hand?

A few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

scotchy wrote: »
    Just talking about this with a lorry driver in the job. He says he knows of plenty of Bulgarian registered, but Irish operated trucks working on the Island of Ireland, And he seems to think that this truck is one of them, and it didn't necessarily travel here from the continent.

That's interesting in that Sky news are after doing a bit on that. Of late for tax reasons Irish hauliers will register their vehicles in Bulgaria (not necessarily their business). This truck was on Bulgarian plates its just been revealed - but - thats not any indication as to where it was/had been. The Bulgarian notion could be a red herring because of the plates.

What you can say with certainty is that if it pulled into Holyhead on Saturday, then it shipped out of Dublin earlier that day - which leaves to more intrigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Get over it, you Londonderry flute.

It's pronounced Derry, the first six letters are silent

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It's pronounced Derry, the first six letters are silent

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Aegir wrote: »
    Illegal immigrants can't claim benefits, so it is irrelevant to them.

It doesn't seem to matter how often this gets repeated, people just have it fixed in their heads that immigrants come to the UK for the benefits. It could be repeated, ad nauseam, and people will never get it. It is unbelievably frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

IRE60 wrote: »

Originally Posted by scotchy
    Just talking about this with a lorry driver in the job. He says he knows of plenty of Bulgarian registered, but Irish operated trucks working on the Island of Ireland, And he seems to think that this truck is one of them, and it didn't necessarily travel here from the continent.

That's interesting in that Sky news are after doing a bit on that. Of late for tax reasons Irish hauliers will register their vehicles in Bulgaria (not necessarily their business). This truck was on Bulgarian plates its just been revealed - but - thats not any indication as to where it was/had been. The Bulgarian notion could be a red herring because of the plates.

What you can say with certainty is that if it pulled into Holyhead on Saturday, then it shipped out of Dublin earlier that day - which leaves to more intrigue.

The guy told me that earlier when they were saying the driver was from NI, he actually said that there were several of these lorries around where he lived, he lives in Monaghan .

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

and just to keep this rolling...

The Bulgarian authorities have confirmed the cab was on Bulgarian plates and that it was registered to a company* owned by a female Irish Citizen - which I would suggest the use of that partiular wording would suggest that the female is from the southern side of the Mason-Dixon.

*It does not specify if that's and Irish registered company or a Bulgarian (not that make any difference at this point - but it's just to appease the pedantic streak in the personality)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

IRE60 wrote: »
    and just to keep this rolling...

The Bulgarian authorities have confirmed the cab was on Bulgarian plates and that it was registered to a company* owned by a female Irish Citizen - which I would suggest the use of that partiular wording would suggest that the female is from the southern side of the Mason-Dixon.

*It does not specify if that's and Irish registered company or a Bulgarian (not that make any difference at this point - but it's just to appease the pedantic streak in the personality)

And the trailer is from Monaghan as far as I could make out...GTR Ltd

Here's the RTE link for the truck bit:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/1023/1085091-essex/

"The Scania truck was registered in the city of Varna under the name of a company owned by an Irish citizen," the ministry said.
    Bulgarian public broadcaster BNR, citing unnamed sources, said the truck, which has been registered in Bulgaria on 19 June 2017, had left the Balkan country the next day and has not returned since"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The Guardian have named the driver.

He's from Portadown.

Is he in the UVF?

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    And the trailer is from Monaghan as far as I could make out...GTR Ltd

Have you a link for the report of the truck owner, IRE60?

No, verbal on Sky - give it a few mins and it will be n their site

Advertisement