Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass sexual assaults covered up for 4 days by German media - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

“completely unheard of” way, Wolfgang Albers, Chief of Police in the Rhineland city said at a press conference on Monday afternoon.

“There was a very large number of sexual assaults there - and in a massive way. Women were grabbed and attacked,” said Albers, adding that in one case the alleged crime fitted the legal definition of rape.

“The crimes were committed by a group of people who from appearance were largely from the north African or Arab world,” the police chief added.

Something very, very serious happened. Strange thatyou seem to want to sweep it under the carpet, strange too that numerous people being sexually and physically assaulted doesn't seem to concern you.

I don't do pitchforks and hysteria. Let the police do their investigations. Everyone is entitled to due process and a presumption of innocence

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

mansize wrote: »
    Have you seen refugees do it???

Have I ever seen somebody get sexually assaulted? You're asking me this question???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hate to tell you they are not all from the same country or background.

I'm not sure what your point is, other than pure semantics. The implication in this instance is clearly directed against refugees, and more specifically against refugees from the middle-east.

If you prefer to use the term xenophobia instead of racism, that applies here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Stheno wrote: »
    A lot of the refugees in Germany are being housed in gyms, community centres, and unused industrial spaces.

There have been numerous articles online about the difficulties in those centres and conflicts with locals.

You can't just herd people into sub standard accomodation with hundreds sleeping in halls and expect everything to be fine.

Mental. This as an excuse for the animalistic behaviour is bordering madness.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Third paragraph down.

That's not the quote I'm disagreeing with he quoted a number given by the regional newspaper that he attributed wrongly to the Chief of police

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Germans stunned when influx of 1.1 million Refugees from entirely foreign cultures starts to throw up issues. Part of me is picturing that chap leaning out the window, shouting "You twat!"

I'm possibly alone in thinking that this may "whisper it", only be the start of their discomfiture. Sadly, the ordinary people will bear the brunt. The architects of the policy will remain wonderfully isolated from any fallout.

Have I ever seen somebody get sexually assaulted? You're asking me this question???

You said you didn't see Irish homeless people do it, I was contextualising.

Who have you seen???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

mikeym wrote: »
    If there was mass sexual assaults on New Years Eve it should be reported regardless of race.

Its sad to see that the mainstream media is so regimented and conformist. No individuality seems to be allowed. I pretty sure there are honest journalists out there that would have been itching to do a story on this. But the editors wouldn't have it. Who is pulling the editors strings is quite worrying.

You said you didn't see Irish homeless people do it, I was contextualising.

Who have you seen???

Jesus I didn't realise it had be so literal.

Well ok I haven't "heard"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mental. This as an excuse for the animalistic behaviour is bordering madness.

I never meant it as an excuse for the behaviour, rather that these people had an expectation of a certain standard of living and now find themselves in dormitories with hundreds of others.

There have been numerous reports of problems in those camps for want of a better word, and now it seems it's spilling over.

Germany have managed this badly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

No the regional newspaper reported that- not the police chief- read the article his quotes are clear
    You are right that the figure of one third is not directly attributed to the police chief, but this isn't material. He said
    “There was a very large number of sexual assaults there - and in a massive way. Women were grabbed and attacked,” said Albers, adding that in one case the alleged crime fitted the legal definition of rape.

“The crimes were committed by a group of people who from appearance were largely from the north African or Arab world,” the police chief added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

That's a no then

You saying they are lying ? I have not personally seen a Syrian Refugee yet you mean to say they are not real ?

Jesus I didn't realise it had be so literal.

Well ok I haven't "heard"

So you base you opinion on hearsay

You saying they are lying ? I have not personally seen a Syrian Refugee yet you mean to say they are not real ?

I have explained the point - read it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I never meant it as an excuse for the behaviour, rather that these people had an expectation of a certain standard of living and now find themselves in dormitories with hundreds of others.

There have been numerous reports of problems in those camps for want of a better word, and now it seems it's spilling over.

The only way they managed it badly was by letting them in. An influx of so many with such backward ideologies was never going to be pretty.

Let's not use the Germans as a scapegoat for the actions of these animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

What part of any of that leads to sexual assault ? Pretty big reach to say this place is a crap hole I know lets go out and sexual assault people that will learn them.....

I agree but I think it's a class thing rather than a religion thing. During hurricane Katerina gang rapes and attacks inside and outside of the super Dome were common place. I'd bet if you threw hundreds of Irish scangers into that accomodation for a few weeks you'd get similar results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

A lot of the refugees in Germany are being housed in gyms, community centres, and unused industrial spaces.

There have been numerous articles online about the difficulties in those centres and conflicts with locals.

You can't just herd people into sub standard accomodation with hundreds sleeping in halls and expect everything to be fine.

I think it's fairly normal to expect people who have been allowed into a country for protection, who have very little legal right to be there, not to commit sexual assaults because they don't like the accommodation.

I'm not too fond of the place I'm in now, and my neighbour keeps complaining that my dog upsets her cats, guess I'll go try to attack someone in temple bar Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I agree but I think it's a class thing rather than a religion thing. During hurricane Katerina gang rapes and attacks inside and outside of the super Dome were common place. I'd bet if you threw hundreds of Irish scangers into that accomodation for a few weeks you'd get similar results.

I thought all these refugees were the next Steve jobs and highly educated why compare them to skangers ?

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I think it's fairly normal to expect people who have been allowed into a country for protection, who have very little legal right to be there, not to commit sexual assaults because they don't like the accommodation.

I'm not too fond of the place I'm in now, and my neighbour keeps complaining that my dog upsets her cats, guess I'll go try to attack someone in temple bar Saturday night.

So before any trial you have assigned the guilty party to Muslim refugees- seems fair

So you base you opinion on hearsay

No I Base it on good solid evidence.

I have seen people get hanged in Iran. I have seen children get burned to death in Southern Africa. I saw a Girl stoned in street in Islamabad.

I been to ****holes. I have met ****holes and I have seen plenty in action.

I just know the world is dangerous place and not like the heaven of my own sitting room right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

What about our own homeless family's living in hotel rooms not much better than the tenements of 100 years ago? They wouldn't be excused for illegal behaviour due to their living conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

So before any trial you have assigned the guilty party to Muslim refugees- seems fair

I was responding to Sthenos point and not neccessarily on the current situabt in cologne.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The only way they managed it badly was by letting them in. An influx of so many with such backward ideologies was never going to be pretty.

That imo is the problem, they let too many in.

In one village they increased the poplulation by some ridiculous amount of 400% by adding in refugees.

That will do nothing for inclusion, and if there is a minority who will rape/csonsider non Muslims as infidels, that will affect their behaviour.

We are talking about 1000 men here, Germany have taken in close to 1 million refugees this year so 1% involved in this behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

interesting point you make there. what standard of housing should be provided?and if say in irelands case, we have a housing crisis, and we cant provide an acceptable standard of housing? its a question. is it even possible to have a discussion about this?

second thing to consider and im not putting words into sthenos mouth here, is poor housing an excuse to be anti social or even criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That's not the quote I'm disagreeing with he quoted a number given by the regional newspaper that he attributed wrongly to the Chief of police

Whatever the number is, do you not find it slightly shocking and unprecedented that such a large group would gather for the express purpose of commiting crimes? This has been confirmed by the police. Perhaps you think that the women are making it up?

Here is a (bad) translation from a German article with accounts from a couple of the alleged victims.

It was New Year's Eve on the station square about a thousand men gathered, which apparently came from the Arab and North African region. There are small groups were formed, the women surrounded, harassed and phones and wallets were robbed, it said. The men were intoxicated and totally uninhibited

The Cologne police has set up an investigation team after the incidents.

The Cologne local newspapers quoted women who had been victims of organized sexual assaults: "I was seized under my dress and my buttocks," said a 22-year-old in the "Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger". "When I try to defend myself, I almost dropped the stairs." The tabloid "Express" quoted another victim that was passed between the main station and the nearby disco "Alter Wartesaal" through an alley of young men: "Suddenly I felt a hand on my buttocks, then on my breasts, after all, I was groped everywhere . " The assaults, wrote the Cologne police in the following days in press releases, were partly diversionary tactic for pickpocketing

No I Base it on good solid evidence.

I have seen people get hanged in Iran. I have seen children get burned to death in Southern Africa. I saw a Girl stoned in street in Islamabad.

I been to ****holes. I have met ****holes and I have seen plenty in action.

I just know the world is dangerous place and not like the heaven of my own sitting room right now.

Are you a soldier or a journalist??? Why are you in such war torn counties?

emo72 wrote: »
    interesting point you make there. what standard of housing should be provided?and if say in irelands case, we have a housing crisis, and we cant provide an acceptable standard of housing? its a question. is it even possible to have a discussion about this?

second thing to consider and im not putting words into sthenos mouth here, is poor housing an excuse to be anti social or even criminal?

No there is no excuse, but my point here is that these people have been allowed to settle in Germany, in sub standard accomodation, with what seems to be little assimilation.

THen they behave as they did at home, and it's contrary to Western behaviour, and we wonder why it happens. They are simply behaving as their culture permits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

On the approaches to Sligo People Before Profit took it upon themselves to place giant posters with 'Refugees Welcome'

Let's not forget that Brendan Ogle from Right2FormerlyWater is placing get as many of these people into Ireland as possible at the top of their priorities.

I wonder how the SWP Feminists feel about this? Someone go up to Foxrock and Dalkey and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Are you a soldier or a journalist??? Why are you in such war torn counties?

He was possibly out there looking for reasons as to why a large group of refugees would gather beside a train station and rob and molest people. And what peoples reactions to such events would be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Lau2976 wrote: »

Temple Bar is a cess pit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement