Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any updates?

• 03-01-2016 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

Who is the inventor of this much-overused corporate catchphrase? I wonder how much time is spent thinking up imaginative answers for people looking for 'updates' when in fact there are none just to keep them at bay.

Is 'any updates' the 'going forward' of 2015? Hopefully we'll see a decline in it's use this year as more and more people see it for what it is - a supposedly polite alternative for "Hurry on ye lazy slow bastards!" and also the related practice where you'd be chatting away by email to some 'any updates' sender and after a while you see some higher-up corporate goon has made his way into the 'CC' list.

Comments

Are you feeling angry O'Toole? Do you need a hug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Persepoly wrote: »
    Are you feeling angry O'Toole? Do you need a hug?

No, calm as a cucumber. It is strange how 'going forward' has had the piss ripped out of it relentlessly while 'any updates' has managed to stay mostly under the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Can we touch base on this later on OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I think "calm as a cucumber" is the new "any updates".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Hopefully we'll see a decline in it's use this year as more and more people see it for what it is - a supposedly polite alternative for "Hurry on ye lazy slow bastards!"

You're right. We should just say the second one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

No, calm as a cucumber. It is strange how 'going forward' has had the piss ripped out of it relentlessly while 'any updates' has managed to stay mostly under the radar

Take your idea offline for the moment, Sh1tbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I'm glad someone has flagged this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I have no Idea lets brainstorm a thinking outside the box link in meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

DivingDuck wrote: »
    You're right. We should just say the second one.

Coola boola.

I think we should park this for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hold on and I will get back to ya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

sounds like something an american ceo would use....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭brevity

A round table conflab is required here. We need to synergise before any action takes place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Oh yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark, they shoot bees at you?

I have so far managed to avoid the corporate world yet I have experienced the awfulness of those phrases. Once upon a time in a very different type of world I had a manager who would often say to me "Persepoly I'd like to link in with you".

Now it is I who is filled with anger at the memory! The whole damn time I was there kept Bach's Rescue Remedy successful.

Coola boola.

Stoppit!! I'm getting shudders. The bad kind.

Persepoly wrote: »
    Stoppit!! I'm getting shudders. The bad kind.

Stop the lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Blame Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Well, we are where we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The overuse of "any" in the English language, and boards, is quite astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

When someone figures this thread out, could they waterfall it to the rest of the group ?

I mean, we're hardly re-inventing the wheel here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'll have to take this away as an action point!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

I am digesting your original post and will revert back to you when we have reached a consensus -We will keep you up-dated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Definitely need to drill down and develop a SMART plan. Will revert back after the blue sky 360 degree thinking brainstorming session.

*twitches*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Who is the inventor of this much-overused corporate catchphrase? I wonder how much time is spent thinking up imaginative answers for people looking for 'updates' when in fact there are none just to keep them at bay.

Is 'any updates' the 'going forward' of 2015? Hopefully we'll see a decline in it's use this year as more and more people see it for what it is - a supposedly polite alternative for "Hurry on ye lazy slow bastards!"

I invented the term, back in the 80s,aged about 6,it's only become popular of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

There are some woeful corporate expressions, like "leverage ideas" but "Any updates" is completely innocuous in my opinion. Ditto "Going forward" - it just means "From now on". I think it's just a bandwagon to claim it's so horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Due to unforeseen .events, any updates won't be pushed out until Q2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Coola boola.

This totally ruined the character of Fran in Love Hate for me. The only people who say cúla búla are dickheads from 1985, not psychopathic thugs in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

me_irl wrote: »
    Blame Microsoft.

Having worked there, yes I agree with you. The corporate bull**** level was immense.

• Advertisement

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Having worked there, yes I agree with you. The corporate bull**** level was immense.

Have you seen Steve Ballmer getting up on the atage roaring with the sweat dhripping off him

Advertisement