Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Siochana FB Page

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're wrong here. Examples: Go past a gardai speed trap about 3 or 4 kph over the legal limit and see if you're pulled in. Go through a gardai checkpoint with your tax or ncd out of date by a couple of days.
    I drive a motorcycle and I'm not legally allowed ride in active buslanes. I've driven past about 50 or 100 bus lane checkpoint in the last 10 years in full view of the garda, never pulled in. They don't enforce every law. Do you know anyone who was charged with crossing a road within 50 feet of a pedestrian crossing when the light was still red?

Yes. I've seen people prosecuted for all of the offences you mentioned.
    Nodin wrote: »
    In the case where the law plainly is an ass, yes.

That's completely bull**** Nodin and you know it. You would be one of the first people on here lambasting the Gardaí for ignoring enforcement of a law if it was anything else. I'd bet money that you were very active in the penalty point threads. You can't have it both ways. Either the Gardaí enforce laws passed by the legislature or they enforce the laws they think are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Here's a heart-warming story of gardai responsibly using their power of discretion:

[allegedly] stopped a guy driving with no tax, but in lieu of giving him penalty points, had him come to a Meath garda station to perform a stripper act for a female gard, who somehow hurt her back during the performance

Makes you proud of the AGS, doesn't it?

EDIT LINK:

http://www.newstalk.com/Garda-investigation-into-allegations-that-a-female-officer-was-injured-during-male-strip-show-

• Registered Users Posts: 51,431 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Here's a heart-warming story of gardai responsibly using their power of discretion:

[allegedly] stopped a guy driving with no tax, but in lieu of giving him penalty points, had him come to a Meath garda station to perform a stripper act for a female gard, who somehow hurt her back during the performance

http://www.newstalk.com/Garda-investigation-into-allegations-that-a-female-officer-was-injured-during-male-strip-show-

Ah for God's sake.
    I had a serious row with a garda years ago on the road over my alleged bad driving. I didn't like his attitude and complained to his boss about it.
    That doesn't make ALL the garda officers my enemy. I have a great regard for them as a police force. In general they do a very good job.
    You get bad eggs in every workforce and stupid ones too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Glorified Anti-Recreational Drugs Agency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Link is gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's completely bull**** Nodin and you know it. You would be one of the first people on here lambasting the Gardaí for ignoring enforcement of a law if it was anything else..

But if it was anything else it wouldn't be as clearly a stupid pointless waste of effort as this.
    I'd bet money that you were very active in the penalty point threads.

Bet money you were wrong, bad as my memory is.
    . Either the Gardaí enforce laws passed by the legislature or they enforce the laws they think are right.

It has been known for Gardaí to enforce laws not on those laws merits but on the individuals supposed station in life as well you know. Here I ask for a consistent, steady policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Tigger wrote: »
    Link is gone

Sorry, fixed it above in #153
    Ah for God's sake.
    I had a serious row with a garda years ago on the road over my alleged bad driving. I didn't like his attitude and complained to his boss about it.
    That doesn't make ALL the garda officers my enemy. I have a great regard for them as a police force. In general they do a very good job.
    You get bad eggs in every workforce and stupid ones too.

Who said ALL gardai are the enemy? Not me.
    The point is, stories like this add fuel to the view of the force as undisciplined. As you say, all workforces have bad and stupid eggs, but a stupid/arrogant/"bad" gard is more worrisome --- with the potential to do greater harm --- than, say, a stupid/arrogant/"bad" t-shirt folder at the Gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

carzony wrote: »
    Only way I can judge is social media but the Guards seems to be very much hated by the public now

Best not to take your view of the real world from social media and water protestors.

Sorry, fixed it above in #153

The point is, stories like this add fuel to the view of the force as undisciplined. As you say, all workforces have bad and stupid eggs, but a stupid/arrogant/"bad" gard is more worrisome --- with the potential to do greater harm --- than, say, a stupid/arrogant/"bad" t-shirt folder at the Gap.

And when you have a clique of them, and an institutional culture that produces a wall of silence, a far too cosy relationship with the political establishment, insufficient independent oversight, insufficient judicial oversight...........

• Registered Users Posts: 51,431 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The point is, stories like this add fuel to the view of the force as undisciplined. As you say, all workforces have bad and stupid eggs, but a stupid/arrogant/"bad" gard is more worrisome --- with the potential to do greater harm --- than, say, a stupid/arrogant/"bad" t-shirt folder at the Gap.[/QUOTE]

As police forces go the garda are not too bad at all imo.
    You'll never get perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As police forces go the garda are not too bad at all imo.
    You'll never get perfect.

Maybe not, but we should also never settle for anything less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

What do you expect to get with the badly trained under resourced politically maligned toothless juridically unsupported police force that lacks even the ability to defend its own members.

You have to strive for perfection to get excellent results, generally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Anyone caught in breech of the law should be prosecuted. You don't get to choose what laws apply to you.

Advertisement