Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When did the Irish stop speaking Irish?

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So the decline in Irish started before the 12th century? Perhaps you should read different books.
    The English had barely started speaking English then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

catbear wrote: »
    I wouldn't take interest in Irish in places like the US as signs of some revival. I used to work in a bookshop there where I:d sell loads of Irish dictionaries to culturally interested, the following week the same people would be buyimga Korean dictionary. A lot of their interest is notional.

Well I only mentioned that the learner's were primarily from the US so I wouldn't oversell the large sign-up. Those were only the statistics for the first week, so there may be more Irish signed up now (or not).

9% of the early sign-ups were Irish and another 9% British. If we assume a similar percentage one year later -- that's 111,600 Irish sign-ups. Not clear how much of the British category is from Northern Ireland vs. the Rest.

Now if you excuse me I have a Korean dictionary to return to myself!

Advertisement