Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

feargale wrote: »
    A hand grenade.

Niet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A soup spoon of medicine...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Non.

A rolled up magazine...'its a bit (Condé) Nast-y. Am I pushing it too far? :D

Nein.

Need a clue?

• Advertisement

Might help :D

Think synonyms.

I've been thinking flippin' synonyms all evening and am no closer!

What's the epitome of round?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Vicious circle?

• Advertisement

Indeed it is. :)

Your question, Keane2097.

There are three players with eight premier league red cards. A Frenchman, a Scot and one of our own. Name them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Absolute guesswork here as I know sweet f all about soccer.

Eric Cantona? Roy Keane?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Absolute guesswork here as I know sweet f all about soccer.

Eric Cantona? Roy Keane?

I came across this but I can't recall. I don't think it was Roy Keane. Kevin Kilbane? Thierry Henry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭lucalux

I know very little about football but I know Thierry Henry and Eric Cantona are both Frenchmen

No right answers yet! The reason this one stuck in my mind is because I would have lost money on the Irish answer being Keane, but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

lucalux wrote: »
    I'm jumping in here sorry, but is it 100?

There's one of them in the shed but i'm too cold to go count them :o

(sorry for barging in here, but it's an interesting thread!)
    Sorry for being late back to this. Yep, spot on. There are 25 links to a rod and 4 rods to a chain. I too have a lovely old measuring tape that is scaled in links and chains.

This is the only example I can think of that has a metric value as an imperial measurement...not that I've thought very hard about it.

You realise that now you have to post a question for the rest of us to ponder. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know very little about football but I know Thierry Henry and Eric Cantona are both Frenchmen

I'm not sure Henry picked up any, but I reckon his teammate, Patrick Viera, picked up a few

Now is he French or Irish?:pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Scotsman had me flummoxed - then I remember seeing one on TV yesterday as a coach at Everton. Duncan "Disorderly" Ferguson had a hell of a lot over a relatively short PL career mainly with Everton

Got no idea of the Irishman though

Those two are correct Beasty. The Irish one will seem obvious once you twig it I think

• Advertisement

Sorry :o I thought the question only asked who was the Irish one... tired reading and posting don't mix too well!

OldGoat wrote: »
    Sorry for being late back to this. Yep, spot on. There are 25 links to a rod and 4 rods to a chain. I too have a lovely old measuring tape that is scaled in links and chains.

This is the only example I can think of that has a metric value as an imperial measurement...not that I've thought very hard about it.

You realise that now you have to post a question for the rest of us to ponder. :)

Ha that's the exact reason I remembered it!
    A metric measure for something so old seemed odd to me.

The old one here belonged to my great grandfather (at least, could be much older) and is rusty and unloved. Luckily I saved it from being thrown away with scrap metal, only because I had happened to ask about it.

New question incoming shortly, in separate post :)

It's tough to think of good questions! :o Here's an attempt..

What is a manuscript from which the text has been scraped off so that the page can be reused?

Oh drat, I should know that one too, I'll leave it to ferment a bit. Good question!

(Fascinating about the chain, I'd have that hanging up somewhere! I thought rods came with poles and perches, not chains! Such useless information, but I shall have to go and have a search for info on it)

Wow this is fascinating (sorry I know I am a bit off topic from the quiz, but still):
    The rod or perch or pole (sometimes also lug) is a surveyor's tool[1] and unit of length of various historical definitions, often between 3 and 8 meters. In modern US customary units it is defined as ​16 1⁄2 US survey feet, equal to exactly ​1⁄320 of a surveyor's mile, or a quarter of a surveyor's chain, and is approximately 5.0292 meters. The rod is useful as a unit of length because whole number multiples of it can form one acre of square measure. The 'perfect acre'[2] is a rectangular area of 43,560 square feet, bounded by sides 660 feet (a furlong) long and 66 feet wide (220 yards and 22 yards) or, equivalently, 40 rods and 4 rods. An acre is therefore 160 square rods or 10 square chains.

Its no wonder they missed Mars! And now we know where the term 'lug' came from, if they had to carry that lot. Or maybe its the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It's tough to think of good questions! :o Here's an attempt..

What is a manuscript from which the text has been scraped off so that the page can be reused?

Toilet paper?

It has a specific name that I read not all that long ago, but it has disappeared whence most of my information goes.

looksee wrote: »
    I thought rods came with poles and perches, not chains!
    It's mods that come with chains....

...speaking of which, without looking can anyone name the 2 mods of this forum?

:P

looksee and "sorry but the other name escapes me right now"?

• Advertisement

There's a thing, I just noticed the second name at the bottom of the front page, which I was expecting but didn't know it had happened! Please welcome your new mod Beasty!

Advertisement