Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

If it's just Cremuel doing his thing I could prob read 900 pages of it.
    I'll read it eventually but might need a break from that universe for a while when I finish BUTB.
    I knew Anne B's fate but I've no idea what happened to Jane S or anything after that so at least there's an element of surprise in the next book.
    I have it on my bookshelf still to read! I was champing at the bit to buy it when it was published but the sheer size of it precludes me from carrying it around on a bus so I’ll leave it a while longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭appledrop

AndOne wrote: »
    Shop local. Buy some fruit and veg instead!!!

If anyone does want to shop locally I'd recommend the company of books in Ranleagh.

If you live near they actual deliver to you house, I'm in North County Dublin but just one set fee for postage so I got loads of books in one order during last lockdown.

The books arrived the next day!

You can keep amazon all you want especially now with brexit things taking weeks to arrive thats if they will even deliver here anymore!

Kalimah wrote: »
    No - female. I thought it wandered all over the place time wise and there was no structure to it either. Several comments re the murders of Brian Murphy (Annabels) and that lady and her daughters who were murdered in a fire in their house on Christmas Day didn’t sit well with me at all.

Ah right, I was just wondering as I could see how male might not be as interested in parts when she was talking about what it is like being female in mainly male environment. I would agree it does wander a good bit but I didnt mind that.

Thats books for you very subjective each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

appledrop wrote: »
    If anyone does want to shop locally I'd recommend the company of books in Ranleagh.

If you live near they actual deliver to you house, I'm in North County Dublin but just one set fee for postage so I got loads of books in one order during last lockdown.

The books arrived the next day!

You can keep amazon all you want especially now with brexit things taking weeks to arrive thats if they will even deliver here anymore!

Charity book shops are the way to go. I've never walked by a shop without buying at least six top end books.

Rathmines charity shop is like easons every new top book 3 for 5 euro 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Started and finished Piranesi but Sussanah Clarke yesterday, was looking forward to it and it needed up bring pretty satisfying. Good book for the times considering the situation of the protagonist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I've just finished the Damian Seeker series of books written by S G MacLean.
    They're about Damian , who'd be Oliver Cromwells top spy or agent in England. The books are very well written and have good plots , if anyone has any free time over the quarantine and likes historical fiction novels these are well worth it .

I'm nearly finished reading a Bernard Cornwall called The Archers Tale , it's another historical fiction book about an archer from England who goes to war in France in the 14th century . It's another excellent book from a great author

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Given up on the John Banville book

https://www.easons.com/Rorys-Story-PB-en-us.aspx

Not something I would normally read, a really interesting book.

I actually think the content of the book would be a great thread on AH.

There is one astoundingly nasty review of the book on amazon. There seems to be something about anyone perceived as thick having the confidence to do something, it really seemss annoys people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I've just finished the Damian Seeker series of books written by S G MacLean.
    They're about Damian , who'd be Oliver Cromwells top spy or agent in England. The books are very well written and have good plots , if anyone has any free time over the quarantine and likes historical fiction novels these are well worth it .

I'm nearly finished reading a Bernard Cornwall called The Archers Tale , it's another historical fiction book about an archer from England who goes to war in France in the 14th century . It's another excellent book from a great author

That's a good series. Agincourt is also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I was given a copy of Old Ireland In Colour for christmas.

Not a story, but old photographs colourised and tidied up. Worth a look if you have an interest in Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

fixXxer wrote: »
    I was given a copy of Old Ireland In Colour for christmas.

Not a story, but old photographs colourised and tidied up. Worth a look if you have an interest in Irish history.

Is it heavy on the Misty eyed ratch cottage stuff or does it also show that life for the hard dirty world it was ?

I love history and photography but am always weary of ye olde Ireland stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Nothing is romanticised, in my opinion just presented "as is". Some of the west of Ireland pictures look incredibly stark in colour, more real feeling than the black and white we're used to. I think I've said that right...

The instagram account is worth a look if you're on the fence about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's taking me forever to read The Mirror and the Light as it's so unportable. I do a lot of reading in the bath but it's not really an option with this. Raging I didn't bring my bath bridge with my when I moved home for lockdown.

I posted about Marie Cassidy's book when I read it. Interesting subject matter but all over the place. Her editor is more at fault than she is, imo. They're the professional.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Nothing is romanticised, in my opinion just presented "as is". Some of the west of Ireland pictures look incredibly stark in colour, more real feeling than the black and white we're used to. I think I've said that right...

The instagram account is worth a look if you're on the fence about it.

The instagram has sold me on it. I had seen a few pictures on Facebook but it was people fawning over the auld ones from the Aran islands and it put me off a bit but it looks really good judging by the other photos

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished Maggie O'Farrell's Hamnet and loved it, very moving.

About to start Barack Obama's autobiography A Promised Land. I got it for Christmas and it seems... topical?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

When Nothing Else Matters by Michael Leahy

About Michael Jordan’s second comeback for the Washington Wizards. It was a present and to be honest I know nothing about basketball (didn’t even know he had multiple retirements or played for a team other than the Bulls). Interesting enough and doesn’t particularly paint him in a great light but probably more for basketball fans than the average reader. Will finish it though...still hoping for some sex and drugs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Have it there, just havent got roubd to it yet. If you like historical fiction Conn iggulden did a great series on Genghis Khan.

Have it there, just havent got roubd to it yet. If you like historical fiction Conn iggulden did a great series on Genghis Khan.

Was thinking of reading that series, but went with his Wars of the Roses on instead. It's on my to read list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Is that part of a series too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's so easy - Duff McKagan, great storyteller I have to say, some life there.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Just read Led By Donkeys, an enjoyable account of four British activists who started a guerilla poster campaign against Brexit where they put up billboards with quotes from the likes of Farage and Boris highlighting their stupidity.

https://twitter.com/bydonkeys/status/1113827097930280960

Reading Shane Ross's In Bed With the Blueshirts, a pleasant enough account of his time in Government.

• Advertisement

Ide have no time for Shane Ross but that is one cracker of a book title

Barna77 wrote: »
    Is that part of a series too?

It's stand alone, still set during the Hundred Years war. From what I remember the Archer's tale series is earlier and ends at Crecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The Quakers in Limerick by Hiram Wood. Many of the principal limerick businesses were owned by Quakers. Also famine relief etc. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

It's stand alone, still set during the Hundred Years war. From what I remember the Archer's tale series is earlier and ends at Crecy.

Don't know if these have been mentioned here.
    I read a few years ago The Accursed Kings series, set on 14th century France. The Hundred Years War from the French point of view.
    Pretty good books and easy to read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Accursed_Kings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's taking me forever to read The Mirror and the Light as it's so unportable. I do a lot of reading in the bath but it's not really an option with this. Raging I didn't bring my bath bridge with my when I moved home for lockdown.

I posted about Marie Cassidy's book when I read it. Interesting subject matter but all over the place. Her editor is more at fault than she is, imo. They're the professional.

I finished Bring up the Bodies last night and started TMATL right away. Kindles though, the way forward!
    Took me about 30 mins or something to read 1% of it or something, if I get it finished before summer I'll be happy!

Dial Hard wrote: »

I'm the same do my best reading in bath with my candles best way to relax! It wasn't easy but I did read all of The Mirror and The Light this way.

I finished Bring up the Bodies last night and started TMATL right away. Kindles though, the way forward!
    Took me about 30 mins or something to read 1% of it or something, if I get it finished before summer I'll be happy!

I'm old school hate kindles, even more so at moment as spending all day doing online learning/ meetings so once evening comes delighted to pick up a book!

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm old school hate kindles, even more so at moment as spending all day doing online learning/ meetings so once evening comes delighted to pick up a book!

Yeah but they're not hard on your eyes, they're different to normal screens, and very light and easy to hold and portable.
    I find books a pain in the ass now.
    Also it's so easy to get a book within seconds really for Kindle, I bought one because I couldn't find Watership Down in any book shop in Dublin, I mean ffs.

Only problem is I don't get to show off all my books in a bookshelf when I'm in web meetings which seems to be the done thing now.

And wtaf is a bath bridge

• Advertisement

Yeah but they're not hard on your eyes, they're different to normal screens, and very light and easy to hold and portable.
    I find books a pain in the ass now.
    Also it's so easy to get a book within seconds really for Kindle, I bought one because I couldn't find Watership Down in any book shop in Dublin, I mean ffs.

Only problem is I don't get to show off all my books in a bookshelf when I'm in web meetings which seems to be the done thing now.

Oh I know not same as computer I tried one once but not for me. I love everything about a real book, turning the pages, the feel of it and even the smell of new book!

My husband tried to convinced me one year when going on holidays as I already had an overflowing suitcase + had 7 books to bring with me but even then I wouldn't give in!

I do leave any books I read on holidays there so not carting them back.

A bath bridge is like a holder that goes across the bath that you can put shower gels , balance a book on etc.

Advertisement