Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What happens when we die?

Options
12346»

Comments

Glad you get my point. Let me see the life lived and I'll tell you if your claim is true!

I'm glad you're indicating you're aware just because someone said something doesn't make it true.

We might be after having a break through!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If they were enough to get into heaven, Jesus wouldn't have had to die on a cross.

So we're back to that needy stuff - your all-powerful god needs people to recognise and adore him/her or they get damned to eternal hell.

Does the same apply to people who are born into Muslim communities or Sikh communities? If they fail to recognise that their own god is apparently false and fail to recognise and adore the Christian god instead, they get damned to hell because of an accident of birth?

Does all that seem fair, just, reasonable to you?
    There you go assuming God gives kids cancer.

Kids aren't special in that regard.

He doesn't give anyone cancer or let people burn alive in fires.

Why have men and women died at the hands of their persecutors for their belief in God? Many of them on a pile of wood.

Your all-powerful god created the world where children get cancer though, where parents go through agonising months and years watching their child deteriorate in considerable pain, followed by a lifetime of pain for the child they lost. Why did your god create childhood cancer?
    Glad you get my point. Let me see the life lived and I'll tell you if your claim is true!

But isn't that the point? It's not about 'the life lived' according to you. It's about whether the person chose to acknowledge and recognise the god character of one particular culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Denny61

When you die .your body decays....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

We get replaced......la la la, life goes on would you expect any different?

and so you soon realise, in that context that no life isn’t so short at all. Some even believe that they might come back as a monkey; or a slug!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

You sh1t yourself.
    You get burned or buried.
    In 200 year no one will even know you had existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Imagine you are a great storyteller and are asked to invent the story of a super human coming from space.

Would you have your super hero be born in poverty in a miserable stable among animals?

I doubt it very much. The first thing I would do is have him be born in a magnificent castle, with enormous wealth and numberless servants.

Then I would build a story of him giving away gold and wealth to everyone he meets, and people would think he's a fantastic guy.

Instead, he lived a life of poverty, didn't proclaim peace to all, but rather division, and conflict in the world.

Finally, my hero would have one final blast of food and drink for all before he disappears,amidst the cheering of his adoring followers.

I certainly wouldn't have my hero die a bloody and violent death, mocked by a hate filled crowd, be whipped, covered in injuries and nailed to a cross.

How could the story of Jesus Christ be invented? Impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Imagine you are a great storyteller and are asked to invent the story of a super human coming from space.

Would you have your super hero be born in poverty in a miserable stable among animals?

I doubt it very much. The first thing I would do is have him be born in a magnificent castle, with enormous wealth and numberless servants.

Then I would build a story of him giving away gold and wealth to everyone he meets, and people would think he's a fantastic guy.

Instead, he lived a life of poverty, didn't proclaim peace to all, but rather division, and conflict in the world.

Finally, my hero would have one final blast of food and drink for all before he disappears,amidst the cheering of his adoring followers.

I certainly wouldn't have my hero die a bloody and violent death, mocked by a hate filled crowd, be whipped, covered in injuries and nailed to a cross.

Have you ever thought that there may have been a man called Jesus, but the story got exaggerated along the way? Most authors of a book are inclined to use writers creativity for the purpose of storytelling. Maybe the book was intended for the fictional section of the library.

begbysback wrote: »
    Have you ever thought that there may have been a man called Jesus, but the story got exaggerated along the way? Most authors of a book are inclined to use writers creativity for the purpose of storytelling. Maybe the book was intended for the fictional section of the library.

The New Testament story was written about 100 years after His death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The New Testament story was written about 100 years after His death.

In a language which varies from writer to writer, you see where this is heading?

What I'm saying is it the story itself is inconceivable to any human author.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

You live on in your kids every time I look in the mirror I see my ould lad looking out at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

We often talk about how we'd like to be remembered but the reality is that by the time another generation has passed noone will remember you. Except for Elvis but that's only because he's still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I'm with this guy:

Seriously though, I don't know what happens. Nobody does. And anybody or any religion that says they do are liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm with this guy:

Seriously though, I don't know what happens. Nobody does. And anybody or any religion that says they do are liars.

Except for those that have come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Who Knows? Nobody.

Who cares? Certainly not me.

I've chosen to keep an open mind on god because we have no idea what happens.

College degrees won't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

saabsaab wrote: »
    Except for those that have come back.

Yeah, but zombies are not the most comprehensible. Plus they are fictional :pac:

If your "proof" of something being true is based on "fcuk it lads, it must be true, sure who'd make it up"you're outta luck. Similar stories had been doing the rounds for years, they just ripped off bits

If your "proof" of something being true is based on "fcuk it lads, it must be true, sure who'd make it up"you're outta luck. Similar stories had been doing the rounds for years, they just ripped off bits

It is impossible to prove the existence or non existence of an afterlife.

It is impossible to prove the existence or non existence of an afterlife.

Now you've moved the posts.
    Thats a separate point.

And a argumentum ad ignoratum/ burden of proof fallacy - just because something hasn't been proven false, doesn't mean its true, and the onus is on the person making the claim of something existing/true to provide the evidence.
    Your view is thus "less valid" than mine until then.
    Russell's chocolate teapot good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 seaniewicklow

Was having a good think about this the other day and it wouldn't leave my mind. Can't imagine that just being it and not seeing how kids lives turn out etc.

Really getting to me the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Get it out of your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

Is God really that needy, that the judgement is not so much about how you lived and what good you did, but more about whether you acknowledged his existence or not?

So if you did really dreadful things, abusing and harming children, but then begged for forgiveness, you're laughing for eternity.

But if you did great things for other people, and cured the childhood cancers that God imposed on this world, just for laughs apparently, but don't acknowledge his existence, you're condemned to hell for eternity.

Doesn't really seem just or fair?

Your judgment absolutely will be about how you lived. But how you lived includes the matter of did you try to seek the truth.

On your second point, God is a God of second chances. Heck, third, fourth, fifth... up to infinity. Everyone sins. However, if you repent (genuinely - a quick sorry won't do. We are talking about genuine sorrow for sin, firm will never to commit it again and making reparation) why would God, who gave His Son to die for you on the Cross, not forgive you? In the Scriptures, Christ tells the Apostles 'whoever's sins you forgive, they are forgiven them. Whoever's sins you retain, they have been retained'. We have the Sacrament of Confession for a reason. If you repent, then yes you will be laughing for eternity. Not laughing because you cheated God, but laughing because you changed your heart and can now be with Him.

Also, God did not impose suffering on the world for laughs. It is the result of Original Sin:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p7.htm

Advertisement