Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What happens when we die?

• 01-11-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭

I know there is a thread on the Atheists forum when the poll shows unsurprisingly a large number in favour of 'that's it' no after life or consciousness existing after death. It didn't show a I am undecided or similar option Where are you on this?

What do you believe happens when we die 135 votes

We go to an afterlife (heaven or hell)
    68% 93 votes
    That's it, there is no more
    2% 3 votes
    I am undecided but feel that's the end of it for me
    19% 26 votes
    I am undecided but feel there is some form of continued existance for me
    5% 7 votes
    I don't care or mind
    4% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

saabsaab wrote: »
    I know there is a thread on the Atheists forum when the poll shows unsurprisingly a large number in favour of 'that's it' no after life or consciousness existing after death. It didn't show a I am undecided or similar option Where are you on this?

I believe that’s it , nothing , I’m happy if that is the case to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Go to heaven for the weather but hell for the company

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

Just like there is nothing before you are born, the same is for when you die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

I don't really like to discuss these things on forums because it brings out the worst in people, and it's just circular arguments with people who are over religious or just boring aul strident types twisting arguments and discussions .

I don't know what happens only we shut down, although when I do go I'd like it to be painless, peaceful and just basically dream that I'm going to sleep and that's it.

But discussing these topics with believer's or non believers is the same aul sht...

Enjoy your life OP live in the moment and forget about death :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

We all float, we all float down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

We lose access to our... personal consciousness, and rejoin the more... general-type consciousness from which we came.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

FourFourFM wrote: »
    We go to Cavan.

I thought Limbo was abolished.

C5EGStf.jpeg
    r2Romer.jpeg
    AFaINvJ.jpeg
    TZ56CHm.jpeg
    29yBCs8.jpeg
    4MnHmEG.jpeg
    UEARw5v.jpeg
    ByvCONh.jpeg

• Advertisement

LJSsrPx.jpeg
    4lIDXzl.jpeg
    EACeHKy.jpeg
    pLuj6Wr.jpeg
    6jvVQSY.jpeg
    CGvyNFh.jpeg
    7tIocyI.jpeg
    1WHvOys.jpeg
    ZibyQwE.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It's a very individualistic, self-centered type of approach to assume that if there is nothing after you die that everything else evaporates. Life will go on - whatever you did on earth will continue to make a difference at least for a while. Whether positive, negative or neutral is still up for grabs at least for people posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

A bit of peace from this horrible world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I'm not sure but I'm in no hurry to find out: Clint Eastwood

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lots of stuff happens when you die. It's just that none of it involves you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Blondini wrote: »
    A bit of peace from this horrible world.

The world isn't that bad, its the safest time in history to be alive and we only get one life might as well enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Dognapper wrote: »
    I believe that’s it , nothing , I’m happy if that is the case to be honest

I actually hope that is the case. Floating around, for ever, on a cloud and being nice to everyone sounds shoite - unless, of course, someone can guarantee that there is sex and pubs in heaven, then I might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Worse case we get sent back here
    Best case , blackness void

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Same as before birth. Blackness. Nothing. Life continues for everyone but you. Also your lottery numbers will come up the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Nobody knows. We'll all find out soon enough

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Soylent Green

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Purgative wrote: »
    I actually hope that is the case. Floating around, for ever, on a cloud and being nice to everyone sounds shoite - unless, of course, someone can guarantee that there is sex and pubs in heaven, then I might give it a go.

Would you not get tired of all that sex and drink after a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Sadly Nothing. You're gone.

Nobody interested in 'Hell'? Maybe a selling point is that the truly evil would get their just deserts? Might make it more popular but I guess we all have done stuff that could deserve a spell there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Highway to Hell, Stairway to Heaven. Someone knew which would be the busiest route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

saabsaab wrote: »
    Would you not get tired of all that sex and drink after a while?
    I'd give it a fair old bash. I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Potentially, I think our consciousness spills out and is unleashed from the physical body. I don't know if we get any explanation or meaning, probably not. We just continue to exist but in a completely different way. We exist outside of time and space. I have no idea if life or not is good, but I think we just eventually get used to a passive existence watching on as our future ancestors live their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

An infinite, never ending bliss of light as the Brain releases the God hormone.

• Advertisement

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    An infinite, never ending bliss of light as the Brain releases the God hormone.

Sounds great. Where can you get this stuff?

Advertisement