Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Esker Hills

• 24-04-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Just reading another thread about someone moving to Portlaoise and there seems to be a lot of people on here from Esker hills. So how many of yis are there?

I'm living in the estate for just over a year now and I gotta say I love it. Moved down from Dublin with my girlfriend and tbh, I don't think I'd ever go back! (I do for work obviously) :P

Also, just wondering if anyone has heard anything about a residents association or anything like that because once the builders stop maintaining the greens and the like, I'm not filled with confidence that Laois county council are going to swoop in straight away to cut the grass etc and I'd hate the place to get shabby!

And just in case any of you dont know, the other topic I read also said that the creche at the entrance has been bought and could be opening in September which'd be great! No idea how true this is but we live in hope!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

adser53 wrote: »
    Just reading another thread about someone moving to Portlaoise and there seems to be a lot of people on here from Esker hills. So how many of yis are there?

I'm living in the estate for just over a year now and I gotta say I love it. Moved down from Dublin with my girlfriend and tbh, I don't think I'd ever go back! (I do for work obviously) :P

Also, just wondering if anyone has heard anything about a residents association or anything like that because once the builders stop maintaining the greens and the like, I'm not filled with confidence that Laois county council are going to swoop in straight away to cut the grass etc and I'd hate the place to get shabby!

And just in case any of you dont know, the other topic I read also said that the creche at the entrance has been bought and could be opening in September which'd be great! No idea how true this is but we live in hope!

*nods*
    Eskerer.
    2 bedroomed house for me, on me tod I bought it.. get the 8.50 train to Dublin every morn.

Have not heard a word on any resident association though.

did you have any hassle registering to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

:) Eskerer...I like it.

I actually have'nt registered to vote down here yet :o

Cos I work in Dublin, the last few times I had to vote I did it in my old town as I passed by on the way to/from work.

It's on my list of things to do! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

im another one from esker hills.

Here since sept 07 and 6 wks later had baby girl.
    My little one is in creche in fairgreen for last year.
    Havent heard about it been sold in esker though or about neighbourhood committe.
    I get the train back and forward to dublin each day

elainee40 wrote: »
    im another one from esker hills.

Here since sept 07 and 6 wks later had baby girl.
    My little one is in creche in fairgreen for last year.
    Havent heard about it been sold in esker though or about neighbourhood committe.
    I get the train back and forward to dublin each day

Do you get the yearly Irish rail ticket?

What train d you get?
    The 7.50 seems the most popular, well.. more popular than the 7.40 anyway

nope get the weekly ticket and get the 6.50am train to dublin and the 5.25pm one home.

• Advertisement

nope get the weekly ticket and get the 6.50am train to dublin and the 5.25pm one home.

6.50.. wow.. thats horribly amazingly early!
    Fair play to you!

Can I ask, how much is the weekly ticket. my yearly one costs me €50 a week, but it's pre-tax, so it really costs around €37 a week.

€76.20 then parking of another 8 euro

€76.20 then parking of another 8 euro

YOu can't hear me, but I'm tutting.. its rougly a ten minute walk to the train station.. and you drive! For shame!

€76.20 is steep enough.
    Is that a Giant Hop, or train only ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Owenass just put up a site notice on the creche. Change of use from creche to offices.
    Not great news for parents, but at least the building wont be derelict.

:( Just saw that there when I was out walking the dog. I can't imagine many business' setting up now so I'd say they're still gonna have trouble filling it. Hopefully the SPAR still goes ahead!

• Advertisement

YOu can't hear me, but I'm tutting.. its rougly a ten minute walk to the train station.. and you drive! For shame!

€76.20 is steep enough.
    Is that a Giant Hop, or train only ticket?

Yeah i drive as i have to pick up my daughter in the creche at 6.30 requiring a car seat.

The ticket is for both train and bus to Leeson Street

Yeah i drive as i have to pick up my daughter in the creche at 6.30 requiring a car seat.

The ticket is for both train and bus to Leeson Street

Ha, well thats fair enough..

The giant hop is only €80.. is that better?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/Bus--Rail-Tickets/

its unlimited train bus and dart for the full 7 days..

I was thinking about getting it mysmelf.

Whats the difference between short, medium and long hop???

Whats the difference between short, medium and long hop???

The distance from Dublin.

Portlaoise is the limit, from Dublin, of the Giant Hop.

It allows you to use the bus eireann bus, the irish rail train, the dart and the dublin bus services between portlaoise and dublin

hmmm interesting, they dont advertise it very much do they, where you get it??

hmmm interesting, they dont advertise it very much do they, where you get it??

Well, you need one of those CIE ID cards first.

Then, the giant hop can be bought from Dublin bus on O'Connell street, Irish rail in Heuston, Connolly or that shop they have that i think is on Abbey street. Probably from busaras too.

You used to be bale to buy them on ticketmaster, but its changed now.. you might want to call irish rail tomorrow when you get a chance for full details.

Just got a letter in the post today; Owenass have "officially" finished in the estate and their holding a meeting in the new pub up in Fairgreen (the Mile Bush) at 8pm on Tuesday the 19th of May to discuss any concerns the residents have about security, maintenance etc and to offer assistance in setting up a residents association.

Are then not suppose to maintain the estate for 5 years or have they been there 5 years?

They are obligied to maintain the estate until they finish constructrion work here. I think that could be the reason they are sold the creche and shop, probably at a lower price than they had wanted.
    I think they have done a good maintenance job so far. They are cutting the grass right now. A residents association is very impoortant or the estate will go to **** once they leave. I will be at the meeting for sure. Anyone else coming?

Bicky wrote: »
    They are obligied to maintain the estate until they finish constructrion work here. I think that could be the reason they are sold the creche and shop, probably at a lower price than they had wanted.
    I think they have done a good maintenance job so far. They are cutting the grass right now. A residents association is very impoortant or the estate will go to **** once they leave. I will be at the meeting for sure. Anyone else coming?

I will...

Where is this pub though ?
    I don't even know where fairgreen is.

• Advertisement

Fairgreen is the previous estate built by Owenass. The houses are very similar to esker hills. It is on the mountmellick/tullamore road. They have a Eurospar and a pub(the mile bush)

I plan on being there myself. Have an exam the next morning so may have to do some last minute study. If I'm not there though, my misssus defo will be! I'd hate to see the esate going to sh*t. We're out every week sweeping the road and tidying up the place, cutting the grass outside when the builders didn't etc. IMO there are a few spots in the estate where the houses are clearly rented and the roads outside them are filthy

i agree you know whats rented or not but also i know the road of houses that are from council thats could do with a good sweep up and clean up

So Who's going to the meeting tonight??

And what questions you going to ask?

The meeting is next tue night(19th). I guess the discussion will be about the residents association and upkeep of the green areas.
    I plan on asking about the shop anyway.

yeah saw that, re-read the letter when i went home lol.

I want to ask about the parking on the front street as its kinda a hazzard also dangerous for kids

HERE HERE about the parking! It pisses me off that some people are too lazy to park in their spaces at the back of their houses and then walk around to the front door. the main road, laurel drive, is a disaster for this and I myself nearly hit a small kid that just walked out from behind a parked car the other day.

I'll be asking about that, the shop & creche, green upkeep, a number of street lights either not working or flickering on and off and the possibility of Laois co-co putting in a litter bin or two at least near the estate! I'd also like them to put a gate or something at the shop to stop people parking their cars there with "for sale" signs in the windows. at least til the shop is sold

Is it just me or are there no litter bins in Portlaoise?

Man I'm starting to sound like Victor Meldrew and I'm only 24 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

what would be the price for a 5/7 day each day return for a student from portlaoise to dublin...

aliqueenb wrote: »
    what would be the price for a 5/7 day each day return for a student from portlaoise to dublin...

I've no idea!

You're best callin Irish Rail - I presume you have a student travel card?

From September there is the option of getting the annual ticket.

• Advertisement

aliqueenb wrote: »

It be probably cheaper renting a private helicopter :D

Advertisement