Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What will my child miss out on if they're not Christened?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Agreed, I hadn't realised the concern was about the confirmation and communion, I'd thought it was about being shoved down the list of entrants based on not having a baptismal cert. Concern about exclusion from confirmation and communion stuff when you're not even a practising Christian is cynical and a bit depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They will miss out on not being christened.

Neither of mine were and they are now adults. They have missed out on nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you can probably understand a bit of cynicism on the A&A forum about communion not being much more than a 'party'; especially since (as is widely acknowledged) for many of the parents of the kids involved it's just that; there's no intention to raise the kids as catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

As long as people continue to cave in to the church in order to access education, or to prevent their children from missing out on social events, the longer it will take to rid them of their undue influence on society

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Regardless of religion or school ethos, put their name down as soon as you are able to as they can fill up fast and if your child isn't baptised that might come into play

Agreed, I hadn't realised the concern was about the confirmation and communion, I'd thought it was about being shoved down the list of entrants based on not having a baptismal cert.

For the third time... the baptism barrier has been abolished in all except about 5% of schools (CoI and the tiny number of other religion schools).

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement