Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible fixture crisis

• 24-03-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭

So with the extension of the government lockdown with a date of the 19th April what is going to happen to the fixture list for the remainder of the year

Will the leagues be null and void and the Championships kick off in May as scheduled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So with the extension of the government lockdown with a date of the 19th April what is going to happen to the fixture list for the remainder of the year

Will the leagues be null and void and the Championships kick off in May as scheduled

Highly unlikely of any ball being kicked or pucked in may i'd say. Honestly think you're looking at july at the earliest if we're lucky but that's just an uneducated guess. Plus you will have to give counties 2/3 weeks preparation before you start playing matches.
    An unprecedented situation will give rise to unprecedented decision's. We could revert back to the old knock out championship for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

I know it would never happen but I'd love to see a knockout competition with an open draw after each round.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'd be amazed if there are anymore league games this year, All-Ireland Championships are in doubt as well, depends on how things go, China are only getting back to normal now, suppose the proposed straight knock out probably run off between July and October could work, would they scrap the round robin in Hurling and go back to the classic format, if things are alright by July?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I know it would never happen but I'd love to see a knockout competition with an open draw after each round.

Id say something like that is possible. this is a chance to experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not a fan of straight knockout coming back

Different time, much more training and would not be fair to squads to only have 1 game for the championship season

Maybe bring back the same structures we had for 2017 in both codes. Be nice to see Waterford play a team in Leinster again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

ATM, Forget about the league and provincial championships. Every county into an open draw, knockout championship.

If things are shut down for longer, scrap the inter county season altogether and let the clubs play with the limited time left in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Have a one off year of straight knockout but base it on an open draw. Model it on the FA Cup it's five rounds so could easily be ran off over a three month period. All games finish on the day. If anyone wants to propose me for the CCCC I'm available :D

Lads a bit of perspective is needed here.

The AI is the most strung out competition going. If you win it you'd play 6/7 games. That could be done in two months.
    If things only got back going in July we still have plenty of time.

We also dont have any major need for it to be finished at any particular time.
    It could run into November, what barriers are people seeing here?.

The premiership is different as they need to get the next season up and running in Aug and theres internationals and European competitions on top.
    They also dont have players being paid without an income.

The GAA has no extensions outwards like that. Instead of playing 2 games a weekend they can run 10 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The AI is the most strung out competition going. If you win it you'd play 6/7 games. That could be done in two months.

The premiership is different as they need to get the next season up and running in Aug and theres internationals and European competitions on top.

The GAA has no extensions outwards like that. Instead of playing 2 games a weekend they can run 10 games.

Totally
    For football anyway if you could start it in early July you could have a full championship, (provincial+qualifiers+quarter final group stages+SF+f) all done by the old all Ireland time of late September

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

These little things called Clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

And weather
    Look it
    We will be lucky to see any championship
    And if we do and it’s knockout then so be it
    It’s one year

The cash cow will take precedence over what are the equivalent of Sunday football leagues.

They'll be fitted around the AI and not vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

rpurfield wrote: »
    Have a one off year of straight knockout but base it on an open draw. Model it on the FA Cup it's five rounds so could easily be ran off over a three month period. All games finish on the day. If anyone wants to propose me for the CCCC I'm available :D

Once we get the ok for travel I think the open draw would be a great way to get things going again. Dublin hitting for Galway, Kerry heading for Tyrone. No using the Provincial championship as training exercises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

A spokesman for the GAA has told RTE Morning Ireland that if the provincial senior hurling and football championships could commence in mid-June, then they would probably ditch the round robin formats in both the Munster and Leinster senior hurling championships.

Otherwise the formats for the other championships would remain largely the same, according to the GAA's Fergal McGill. The All Ireland finals would remain the same dates in August.

Appears also that the remainder of the 2020 leagues has been cancelled. While inter county teams will get "two week lead in time" for preparations for championship 2020.

IMO that appears to be a very optimistic time frame and the likelihood of no championship for 2020 remains the most likely scenario. Clubs must be prioritised if the choice is between club or inter county.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Dont see any championships this year not till a vaccine is found for the virus first .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not a fan of straight knockout coming back

Different time, much more training and would not be fair to squads to only have 1 game for the championship season

Maybe bring back the same structures we had for 2017 in both codes. Be nice to see Waterford play a team in Leinster again

Nobody is doing any training. It's perfectly reasonable for teams to only have one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Just got a reply to an email that I sent to Munster GAA yesterday 're the Munster minor football and minor and U20 hurling championships for 2020. They are planning to complete these championships in the calendar year, although formats for both the Munster minor hurling and football championships, which have found robin formats, might have to change, if the sporting restrictions continue beyond the 19th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I agree with the knockout but I would like to see the old provincial system.

Westmeath won their first and only Leinster championship in 2004, and then had their triumph devalued when Dublin came along and won the All-Ireland. Think of the minnows who won provincial titles, Leitrim in 1994, Longford in 1968. It was everything to those counties, but now the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. Under the present system it those triumphs of ithe little counties will probably never again happen. English and Scottish soccer have two major competitions, a knockout and an all play all competition. Time was when the GAA had the same. Now we have neither one nor the other. Provincial finals have lost much of their glitter and excitement.
    I have full confidence in the GAA, unlike some others such as the IOC and some of the racing "fraternity", to behave responsibly and to have no more games at all in 2020 if circumstances warrant it. But I fear that they will not revert fully to the old system, because if they did alot of you who never experienced the excitement of it would want it again. I would prefer no back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

feargale wrote: »
    I agree with the knockout but I would like to see the old provincial system.

Westmeath won their first and only Leinster championship in 2004, and then had their triumph devalued when Dublin came along and won the All-Ireland. Think of the minnows who won provincial titles, Leitrim in 1994, Longford in 1968. It was everything to those counties, but now the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. Under the present system it those triumphs of ithe little counties will probably never again happen. English and Scottish soccer have two major competitions, a knockout and an all play all competition. Time was when the GAA had the same. Now we have neither one nor the other. Provincial finals have lost much of their glitter and excitement.
    I have full confidence in the GAA, unlike some others such as the IOC and some of the racing "fraternity", to behave responsibly and to have no more games at all in 2020 if circumstances warrant it. But I fear that they will not revert fully to the old system, because if they did alot of you who never experienced the excitement of it would want it again. I would prefer no back door.

Dublin didn't win the All Ireland in 2004!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Straight Knockout all the way. It was beautiful for over 100 years, no reason why it can’t be beautiful again even if just for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Straight Knockout all the way. It was beautiful for over 100 years, no reason why it can’t be beautiful again even if just for one.

Anyone for the last few choc ices?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭messin doorman

I may have been doing too much reading between the lines but the recent comments from GAA was that provided things can get underway by mid June it was possible to keep the all Ireland final dates in August. Which got me thinking, does that mean if things are still closed until say, middle of July, that they would be willing to simply move the championship (and the finals) later in the season? Would welcome thoughts on that “interpretation” and whether I am over analyzing the situation.

Two other related points:

1: will clubs put the kaibash on that?
    2: also have to factor in “training time” - you can’t just go from lockdown to game 1 of the championships

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

megadodge wrote: »
    Dublin didn't win the All Ireland in 2004!

Sorry. I stand corrected. Thank you.i
    Anyway I'm sure you get my point. I'm sure that scenario happened more than once in hurling if not in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Cant see football matches being allowed by mid June, they are hoping that infections will peak in late April and decline slowly from there. Restrictions will be lifted bit by bit but sports and other recreational events were one of the first things to go so it would be logical to think that they will be one of the last things to be reintroduced. It would be incomprehensible to allow thousands of fans from all across the country to come together for GAA matches just when they are hopefully getting it under control.

I’m a massive GAA fan but at this stage I’m not bothered whether we have a championship or not, the safety of the players, fans and general public is the only thing that matters right now. If we get to play the club competitions later in the year I think most people would be happy with that.

At least Dublin won’t be able to win it this year :pac:

Advertisement