Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FRAGRANCE SPLITS - *SEPTEMBER 2022*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Hey, I'll drop you a PM - The Cedrat Boise and Enigma are gone, but the rest is OK.

Thanks Pat - sent you PM and mail ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

adox wrote: »
    Early reviews of the Beau De Jour signature line, while complimentary say that it’s not quite the same as the Private Blend and performance isn’t as good.
    Still very early days though. I was gonna blind buy a 100ml bottle but think I’ll wait a little longer.

Where are you seeing that? Anything I've seen has it so close as to be the same, or very close. I've smelled the Signature myself (albeit a single spray in the shop) and that's my experience too - seems the same to me. A member here has both releases and sprayed them side by side and can't tell any difference. Would be interested in seeing who's saying otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Where are you seeing that? Anything I've seen has it so close as to be the same, or very close. I've smelled the Signature myself (albeit a single spray in the shop) and that's my experience too - seems the same to me. A member here has both releases and sprayed them side by side and can't tell any difference. Would be interested in seeing who's saying otherwise!

I saw a youtube video review and some of the comments were from people that picked it up and also had the PB version and said the performance wasnt as good.

I`m in work so cant link it at the moment but will later when home.

Pretty sure I read on some of the usual sights that there is a slight difference.
    Id need a bigger sample size to believe it though. It was in the PB for such a short time so I`d like to believe it is the same.

Edit: youtube video and comments

I saw a youtube video review and some of the comments were from people that picked it up and also had the PB version and said the performance wasnt as good.

I`m in work so cant link it at the moment but will later when home.

Pretty sure I read on some of the usual sights that there is a slight difference.
    Id need a bigger sample size to believe it though. It was in the PB for such a short time so I`d like to believe it is the same.

I rarely watch Youtube reviews - frankly I don't trust them to be impartial. Prefer 'Joe Soap' reviews and those on Basenotes are mostly "it's the same" or "it's almost the same" and, as above, it sure smells the same to me! (I have the PB). TBH I don't see why they'd bother formulating it for PB and then reformulating it literally a few months later. Then again, I don't see why they'd release it as a PB in the first place anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Psychosomatic I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

mrcheez wrote: »
    Psychosomatic I reckon

Addict, insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭SteM

....TBH I don't see why they'd bother formulating it for PB and then reformulating it literally a few months later. Then again, I don't see why they'd release it as a PB in the first place anyway!

Might they not reformulate to bring the production cost down in line with the price drop?

SteM wrote: »
    Might they not reformulate to bring the production cost down in line with the price drop?

For all the talk about natural ingredients etc that brands spew out, generally speaking the juice itself costs SFA to make (not that they'd admit that) - it's very likely that the bottle itself costs more than the liquid in most cases! Biggest spend would be marketing I'd imagine. I'd be very surprised if the PB and Signature fragrances range cost appreciably different to manufacture, other than economies of larger scale with the Signature.

Quick split ahead of the main new batch as I can pick this up while travelling abroad next week! This one generated quite a bit of interest a few months ago when I first mooted it, but it went out of stock then. I've got it reserved (but not paid for) for collection next week and, if there's enough interest, I'll pick it up.

CAROLINA HERRERA
    375x500.31053.jpg

Burning Rose *open split*
    "Burning Rose embodies star qualities of charisma, sensuality and spontaneity. Elegant Bulgarian rose is infused with royal cinnamon, while Asian ginger burned with Indonesian patchouli captivates the senses."

Fragrantica review: "I really like the drydown, but it's actually not a strong rose fragrance. Much more about the spices, the ginger, and cinnamon, blending with patchouli. I just like it because it's bold and has good longevity and you can really tell you're wearing perfume. If you're looking to be noticed for your perfume (and sometimes I am) this is a good fragrance."

I haven't smelled this but the few reviews out there are generally very positive. Fragrantica weighs in ~4.5/5. Unisex. Very hard to find (as is the case for all of the Herrera Confidential line), RRP ~€250 / 100ml.
    €27 for 10ml, €51 for 20ml, €75 for 30ml, or €115 for 50ml. 50ml portion comes in the very nice original 100ml bottle and box.

when I use them I put the Beau de Jour closer to my face and just a spray or two of the TV on the lower neck as it would overpower it otherwise.

experimenting with this a bit more. If you directly blend Beau de Jour signature version with a single spray of of PB like Tuscan Leather or Tobacco Vanille you get much more extended life out of the Beau de Jour, plus all the dynamics of the other frag. Still smell it after several hours compared to spraying it solo.

Definitely a great mixer frag :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Many thanks again, Pat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi Pat! Do you happen to have any plans for a Santal 33 split? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

jamieh wrote: »

I have a little left from the last split...I'd be willing to jump in for a top-up

I have a little left from the last split...I'd be willing to jump in for a top-up

Nothing current but may look at it in a few months - how much are you both after as a matter of interest? Pricing would be a little higher as I usually get it in the UK and sterling has really strengthened the last number of months - in fact, this affects quite a bit of what I buy.

Burning Rose (details couple of posts back): last call if anyone's interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

FYI La Labo have set up in Terminal 2 recently if anyone has holidays coming up .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I rarely watch Youtube reviews - frankly I don't trust them to be impartial. Prefer 'Joe Soap' reviews and those on Basenotes are mostly "it's the same" or "it's almost the same" and, as above, it sure smells the same to me! (I have the PB). TBH I don't see why they'd bother formulating it for PB and then reformulating it literally a few months later. Then again, I don't see why they'd release it as a PB in the first place anyway!

Picked a bottle of this up today(along with Noir Extreme) and it’s a beautiful scent. A huge hit of Lavender in the opening but that quickly mellows to a beautifully balanced masculine scent.

Will keep an eye out for when you have some of the Private Blend lines available as would love to try some of them but out of my price range retail.

Nothing current but may look at it in a few months - how much are you both after as a matter of interest? Pricing would be a little higher as I usually get it in the UK and sterling has really strengthened the last number of months - in fact, this affects quite a bit of what I buy.

I got 30ml the last tike Pat, I'd go for that or stretch to 50ml if needs be
    Just as I'm here...540 rouge is getting low...any shout on the Penhaligons? You were looking but it was pricey?
    Let me know when you have some new stuff too .. I'm getting twitchy for new juice Pat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

I’d take 50ml, but can take more or less depending on what it takes to make a split work.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bada Bing Boy

Hey Pat,

Any availability on a split of Percival by Parfum De Marly or Reflection Man by Amouage?

Cheers,
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Hi Padraig Mor, I'd be interested in this but im not sure of the process?

• Advertisement

Hey Pat,

Any availability on a split of Percival by Parfum De Marly or Reflection Man by Amouage?

Cheers,
    Darren

Percival: have my eyes out for it but not seeing it at a decent price TBH.

Reflection: if I get a bottle at a respectable price I might stick it in alright.

Hi Padraig Mor, I'd be interested in this but im not sure of the process?

I was actually about to cancel my reservation for it today as there's only about 20ml allocated. How much would you be after? I'd really need to allocate another 50ml today to make the split viable (I'm not saying that to put pressure on you BTW!) but not sure if you'd be after that much? Process is outlined in the OP but I always give full details by email or PM anyway.

Picked a bottle of this up today(along with Noir Extreme) and it’s a beautiful scent. A huge hit of Lavender in the opening but that quickly mellows to a beautifully balanced masculine scent.

Will keep an eye out for when you have some of the Private Blend lines available as would love to try some of them but out of my price range retail.
    BdJ really is a winner alright. Should have some more Private Blend listed soon!
    I got 30ml the last tike Pat, I'd go for that or stretch to 50ml if needs be
    Just as I'm here...540 rouge is getting low...any shout on the Penhaligons? You were looking but it was pricey?
    Let me know when you have some new stuff too .. I'm getting twitchy for new juice Pat:D
    Another new name Erik?! 540 - might do in a few months unless there's a lot of requests before then. That's the Lord George from Penhaligon's right? I'm actively keeping an eye out but even the cheapest prices are best described as 'saucy', especially given it's only a 75ml bottle. Just think the resultant splits would be a bit rich for Penhaligon's. (I will have a new Penhaligon's though, and very soon at that). Don't worry - I've got a big load of stuff already in hand waiting to go - as soon as I get my lazy ass around to writing the emails etc! During the week hopefully.
    I’d take 50ml, but can take more or less depending on what it takes to make a split work.
    OK, that's 80ml requested anyway so I'll see what I can do with it. I usually pick it up in central London - I'm actually in London Monday but not sure I'll be able to get into the store though (and not even sure if it's too late to reserve it at this stage). Great juice though! Does anyone know if the Dublin airport concession does it cheaper than retail? I'm very rarely in Dublin airport though.

Yes Pat..yes, tis me!
    I'm in no rush for anything...I just notice that some of my fave juices are running low...I'd be up for any Penhaligons fragrance...I have the Halfeti from you and it's def 1 of my top 5.....will keep an eye on the thread and mail you as well

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Martin maloney

experimenting with this a bit more. If you directly blend Beau de Jour signature version with a single spray of of PB like Tuscan Leather or Tobacco Vanille you get much more extended life out of the Beau de Jour, plus all the dynamics of the other frag. Still smell it after several hours compared to spraying it solo.

Definitely a great mixer frag :D

100% agree with the both of you ! 1 spray of TF Oud Wood and 1 Spray Tobacco Vanille is also a killer Mixture! :)

100% agree with the both of you ! 1 spray of TF Oud Wood and 1 Spray Tobacco Vanille is also a killer Mixture! :)

Oud Wood is one I only recently tried. Got a tester bottle when I was picking up my 50ml of Tobacco Vanille.
    In fact I made sure to get about 4 tester bottles filled to the rim.. gotta get my money's worth :P

It's fascinating, but I'm not quite ready to drop another €188 just yet!!

Will try that combo tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jam6o

Hey Pat - just wondering if you are planning on doing a split on oud wood, tuscan leather, soleil blanc or lost cherry?

PS how does the process work for a first timer?

Cheers

Jam6o wrote: »
    Hey Pat - just wondering if you are planning on doing a split on oud wood, tuscan leather, soleil blanc or lost cherry?

PS how does the process work for a first timer?

Cheers

Oud Wood: literally just did one - I'm actually splitting it tonight so will probably hold off on another for a while.

Tuscan Leather: yes, and soon!

Soleil Blanc: no particular plans but if enough people ask for it, I'd look at doing it early summer.

Lost Cherry: to my nose, it's simply not worth the money! But again, if enough folks are after it I'm happy to split it.

First post on this thread has details of the process in the 'small print' but of course I always PM / email full details before taking any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Pat can you please send me your number. Lads if any of have it could you please pm me

• Advertisement

February 2020 listing :

Notes

Bottle sizes
    Glass bottles: 10ml, 25 / 30 ml (same bottle), 50ml.
    Plastic bottles: 10ml, 20ml.

Note 20ml splits are available in plastic bottles only
    "Open splits" need to get a minimum number of people signed up to go ahead.

Shipping
    Courier: €12.50 for up to 5 or 6 bottles depending on size. This option must be used for glass bottles.
    An Post: €4.50 - only available for plastic bottles (10 / 20ml). Max seven 10ml or three 20ml bottles. Not tracked or insured!

Full payment details will be provided by PM / email - I take Revolut, bank transfer, or PayPal.

I also have the following available in hand as of 6/2/2020:

Creed - Aventus: €85 per 50ml.
    Thierry Mugler - Pure Malt: Whiskey accented designer scent, but not overly boozy. €9 for 10ml, or €16 for 20ml. Only 20ml left. Price reduced!
    Berdoues - Arz El-Rab: cedar, ginger, lemon and pepper - this is very wearable and smells a lot more upmarket than its price suggests; a little bargain. €12 for 10ml, €22 for 20ml, €31.50 for 30ml, or €42.50 for 50ml (in original 100ml bottle). 50ml left.
    Mancera - Royal Vanilla: Opens with soft, warm vanilla before toughening up with patchouli and amber. €11.50 for 10ml, €22 for 20ml, or €30 for 30ml.[/b] 30ml portion in original 120ml bottle if wanted.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CREED
    375x500.474.jpg

Green Irish Tweed *open split*
    Been a little while since I've split this - a bit surprising as it's the second most popular fragrance I've done (after Aventus). Not much to say that hasn't been said about this - where Aventus is brash, this is altogether more sophisticated and less in your face - its fresh, green, grassy scent is a lighter affair and very suited to an office environment. RRP €190 / 50ml.
    €80 for 50ml. One more request for this, and the bottle gets ordered!

................................................................................................................

375x500.470.jpg
    Tabarome *open split*
    First time listing for this, sometimes called Creed's most underrated fragrance. A fresh, herbal tobacco with that refreshing Creed brightness. Created for Winston Churchill allegedly. Pull the other one Creed! RRP €190 / 50ml.
    €22 for 10ml, €42 for 20ml, €61 for 30ml, or €92 for 50ml. 50ml portion comes in the original 100ml bottle and box.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PENHALIGON'S
    375x500.29223.jpg

As Sawira *on the way*
    Penhaligon's attempt to woo the Middle Eastern market with a saffron / rose / oud effort. Unisex. "The souk abounds in opulent gifts – if one knows where to look. An eau de parfum of heaped spices and fragrant flowers; saffron, bergamot, labdanum and oud. The search makes it all the more seductive. Bargain pricing for one of the Tradre Routes collection. RRP ~€200 / 100ml.
    €15.50 for 10ml, €29 for 20ml, €41.50 for 30ml or €61.50 for 50ml. 50ml portion comes in attractive original 100ml bottle and box.

................................................................................................................

IMAGINARY AUTHORS
    a_city_on_fire_imaginary_authors_50_ml_large.jpg?v=1571540010

A City on Fire *in hand*
    From cult American house Imaginary Authors, A City on Fire is......different. You want smoke? You got smoke! Opens with a very literal just - struck match smell, moves into strong smoke before drying down to herbs and resin. It's challenging - but I honestly found it easier to wear than its fearsome reputation suggests. Still though, a definite cold weather fragrance.
    €14.50 for 5ml (note volume), €25 for 10ml, or €48 for 20ml.

SWEDOFT
    135362_63a90fe36740e37cac4a2c4ee4534941_rasputin.jpg

Rasputin *in hand*
    Highly promising Swedish house. This fragrance is getting a good bit of attention on discussion groups. It's really rather good - quite an Eastern gourmand spicy fragrance, almost foody with star anise and cloves alongside chocolate, incense, musk and oud.
    €16 for 10ml, or €30 for 20ml. 20ml left.

Mysterious Shadow *in hand*
    Another Swedoft masculine Lavender, Bergamot, Patchouli , wood, and spices - perhaps some Parfums de Marly touches?
    €16 for 10ml. Only 30ml available.

MAISON MARGIELA
    375x500.53537.jpg

Whispers in the Library *open split*
    "The slowing down of time between books and the whispers of turning pages". Vanilla and pepper, drying down to cedar and other woods. RRP €110 / 100ml.
    €13.50 for 10ml, €26 for 20ml, €37.50 for 30ml, or €52.50 for 50ml. 50ml portion comes in original 100ml bottle and box.

TOM FORD
    375x500.29675.jpg

Noir Extreme *open split*
    The name is a bit misleading on this one - rather than being pitch black, it's actually a super cozy vanilla / amber concoction ideal for cold days. RRP €99 / 50ml.
    €16 for 10ml, €29 for 20ml, €42.50 for 30ml, or €61.50 for 50ml. 50ml portion in original 100ml bottle and box.

BURREN PERFUMERY
    Winter-Woods-Bottle-400x600.jpg

Winter Woods *in hand*
    Begorrah, it's an Irish fragrance! Burren have quietly been garnering a reputation for themselves, and their owners nave just featured on the Irish Times 2020 list of 50 'people to watch'. Inspired by the Burren's foliage, Winter Woods is a mix of herbs and woods and is made using natural and organic ingredients - by hand.
    €8.50 for 10ml. A few left.

Advertisement