Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avengers: Endgame [** SPOILERS FROM POST 613 **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Incorrect - I just watched the movies as movies and didn't analyse every sentence or shadow in the background looking for clues. It's a kids movie at the end of the day so any information that needs to be presented and retained should be fairly obvious

Uhm, one of the movies is literally called "Captain Marvel" and STARS the "blonde lady" you're complaining about, while "Dr. Strange" is about a magician filled with scenes where characters draw those "holes" as portals. It's a big part of the main. Don't get snarky about background details, these are foreground, on-the-poster elements. So maybe watch the movies as movies, but paying attention helps too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Homelander wrote: »
    So a) you claim it's a kids movie yet b) you still couldn't follow it despite there being an entire titular movie 'Captain Marvel' which you also claim to have seen. You're either trolling, or just have the attention span of a lemur.

You nerds get very tetchy.

I haven't seen the Captain Marvel movie - but will go back and watch it in the hope that the new knowledge I gain makes End Game seem like a piece of art that should be stored in the national gallery

pixelburp wrote: »
    Uhm, one of the movies is literally called "Captain Marvel" and STARS the "blonde lady" you're complaining about, while "Dr. Strange" is about a magician filled with scenes where characters draw those "holes" as portals. It's a big part of the main. Don't get snarky about background details, these are foreground, on-the-poster elements. So maybe watch the movies as movies, but paying attention helps too ;)

I will watch the blonde lady be all MARVELlous (see what I did there)
    I watched Dr. Strange - wasn't impressed and kept thinking about Sherlock but that can't be helped - it was his best role to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have watched all the movies and none really impressed me
    I haven't seen the Captain Marvel movie

Ok...complaining that parts and characters didn't make sense despite watching all the movies, then backtrack and state that in fact, you haven't seen all the movies. I would imagine a great many franchises, trilogies and sequels don't make sense without having seen the preceding material.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You nerds get very tetchy.

I haven't seen the Captain Marvel movie - but will go back and watch it in the hope that the new knowledge I gain makes End Game seem like a piece of art that should be stored in the national gallery

Mod note: Keep it civil please, comments like this are nothing but trolling.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    Ok...complaining that parts and characters didn't make sense despite watching all the movies, then backtrack and state that in fact, you haven't seen all the movies. I would imagine a great many franchises, trilogies and sequels don't make sense without having seen the preceding material.

I mixed up seeing Captain American and Captain Marvel - my bad.
    As soon as I am over the disappointment of end game I will try to watch Captain Marvel and the puzzle shall be complete. In theory.

Sure if not I can just time travel back to a day pre the beginning of the marvel universe and watch all the movies, for the first time, in sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,095 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As soon as I am over the disappointment of end game I will try to watch Captain Marvel and the puzzle shall be complete. In theory.

Sure if not I can just time travel back to a day pre the beginning of the marvel universe and watch all the movies, for the first time, in sequence.
    Yes very easy to get male American Soldier story confused with female American Alien story.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yes very easy to get male American Soldier story confused with female American Alien story.

In this day and age I don't notice gender just potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think given your reaction and apparent disdain for most of the Marvel movies, you're probably just better off not watching Captain Marvel. Honestly, it'll make you feel worse, if anything. All you'll miss is seeing who Captain Marvel is, how she got her powers, her connection to Nick Fury, and the mid-credits scene just shows her briefly meeting the Avengers. It's not going to solve the vast majority of issues you have with Endgame, and you'll probably just have more issues with Captain Marvel.

Honestly, it's fine to just accept you don't like these movies, and just not watch them. It seems like watching Captain Marvel (which is a fairly average Marvel movie anyway) would be the worst thing you could do.

Penn wrote: »
    I think given your reaction and apparent disdain for most of the Marvel movies, you're probably just better off not watching Captain Marvel. Honestly, it'll make you feel worse, if anything. All you'll miss is seeing who Captain Marvel is, how she got her powers, her connection to Nick Fury, and the mid-credits scene just shows her briefly meeting the Avengers. It's not going to solve the vast majority of issues you have with Endgame, and you'll probably just have more issues with Captain Marvel.

Honestly, it's fine to just accept you don't like these movies, and just not watch them. It seems like watching Captain Marvel (which is a fairly average Marvel movie anyway) would be the worst thing you could do.

I think you might have a point and I'll just live in ignorant bliss not knowing the full story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Should I give this a 2nd chance or is it still as bad and as boring as I thought it was the first time I saw it

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Should I give this a 2nd chance or is it still as bad and as boring as I thought it was the first time I saw it

Hardly worth your time but that is my opinion some of the more die hard fans might say its the best thing ever and should be watched multiple times to understand the real complexity of the characters.

I would also avoid Black Panther - that was another terrible movie, just so bad and somewhat pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'll just live in ignorant bliss not knowing the full story.

Definitely. But the main thing is not to let that get in the way of complaining about stuff they put in other movies but not repeated in the ones you want to cherry pick to watch.

It's really on marvel for not making a 23 hour long endgame that includes everything that happened in all the previous movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I would also avoid Black Panther - that was another terrible movie, just so bad and somewhat pointless.

Who?

Definitely. But the main thing is not to let that get in the way of complaining about stuff they put in other movies but not repeated in the ones you want to cherry pick to watch.

It's really on marvel for not making a 23 hour long endgame that includes everything that happened in all the previous movies.

Don't be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Hardly worth your time but that is my opinion some of the more die hard fans might say its the best thing ever and should be watched multiple times to understand the real complexity of the characters.

More than 1700 posts on here tells you it might be you two that are wrong. There's a good reason why Marval films are so popular. Also Black Panther is a masterpiece

Greyfox wrote: »
    More than 1700 posts on here tells you it might be you two that are wrong. There's a good reason why Marval films are so popular. Also Black Panther is a masterpiece

1700 post in a forum dedicated to a movie, with the same person posting multiple times, isn't a sign this is a great movie.
    Go across to After Hours and you will see a post about the etiquette of taking a dump at work with nearly 3000 post's.

Real question - do you really think Blank Panther is a masterpiece and if so why - I am genuinely curious as to why the movie go so much hype (I have a fair idea why)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭pah

Black panther was a decent watch. Had a more compelling villain than many of the previous movies but a masterpiece it is not.

Killmonger was the best antagonist in the MCU. And he can barely be called an antagonist tbf. He made BP worthwhile.

Black Panther was okay, Killmonger being the particular highlight. Enjoyed many of the performances too, particularly Okoye and Shuri, and parts of the film looked fantastic. An enjoyable watch but not one of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Killmonger was the best antagonist in the MCU. And he can barely be called an antagonist tbf.

He was absolutely an antagonist, he simply wasn't a villain. :D

Penn wrote: »
    Black Panther was okay, Killmonger being the particular highlight. Enjoyed many of the performances too, particularly Okoye and Shuri, and parts of the film looked fantastic. An enjoyable watch but not one of the best.

I thought some of the CGI was terrible in parts.
    Story line loose enough
    Had the movie been made 10 years earlier it would have gotten half the praise.
    You have to admit the majority of the praise was down to having an all black cast rather than the movie being exceptional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or maybe just people really liked the movie because it had a strong cast, story, characters and compelling villain? Yeah the CGI & final battle was rubbish, but the rest was solid.

It does happen you know. It's not always about the SJWs hiding under the beds.

Is Martin Freeman black?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Is Martin Freeman black?

Him and Andy Serkis were the Tolkien white dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Is Martin Freeman black?

No, that's Morgan Freeman you're thinking of :pac:

Him and Andy Serkis were the Tolkien white dudes.

Respect to the pun.

giphy.gif

pixelburp wrote: »
    Or maybe just people really liked the movie because it had a strong cast, story, characters and compelling villain? Yeah the CGI & final battle was rubbish, but the rest was solid.

It does happen you know. It's not always about the SJWs hiding under the beds.

True but it was definitely a major factor in the praise and the numerous awards received. Everybody jumping on the band wagon.
    Would it be safe to say black panther won more awards then any other Marvel movie in the past combined and even if you included future awards it would probably be head and shoulder ahead and that has very little to do with the quality of the movie.

True but it was definitely a major factor in the praise and the numerous awards received. Everybody jumping on the band wagon.
    Would it be safe to say black panther won more awards then any other Marvel movie in the past combined and even if you included future awards it would probably be head and shoulder ahead and that has very little to do with the quality of the movie.

It was the first MCU film featuring a black lead (smart arses lurking in the background pointed out that it wasn't the first Marvel film with a black lead tho'), it was always going to be noteworthy and it'd be disingenuous to pretend otherwise; in American pop culture that's a big deal, so good for them :)

But that's not what you're implying; you're dubious that those of us here like the film that much, and that it's only for virtue signalling that we do. It's a flawed film, but deserves its praise as being in the top tier of MCU films. "Masterpiece"? Eh, it's not the word I'd use but I get it...

Look, it's plainly obvious you don't like the MCU films, they're not for you, having watched the Season Finale of a 'show' you neither like nor watch. You don't like Black Panther either, OK fine, but leave it at that, instead of the eyebrow waggling that we're all being very SJW... :)

• Advertisement

I think a large part of the praise it got wasn't the fact it had a black cast, but rather how it showed African culture, and stayed true to that culture while also blending it with the premise of the movie. I remember reading things about how someone at Marvel initially suggested they should all speak with British accents because of how developed Wakanda is and how regal they're meant to be (especially as royal characters) until his suggestion was rightly marked as being nonsense, and of course they should speak with African accents. The filmmakers also went to great lengths to ensure the women had natural hair (eg. not chemically straightened), there were snippets of real regional dialects, styles etc.

But yes, given its huge ethnic cast and setting which made it an outlier in terms of movies of that scale, it got a lot more attention and praise than it likely would have otherwise. But it also wasn't a bad movie by most standards, and in many cases awards are given based on their cultural impact, not just quality. Black Panther had a significant cultural impact in large part due to its black cast and setting.

Advertisement