Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2019, 13:23   #46
Charles Babbage

Of all the issues that arise in Dublin, this issue might seem one that something can be done about. This problem is located where a bus depot and garda station are within the next few stops. Those involved haven't for the most part opted out of society and would not be keen on a conviction as it would stop you getting a J1. Definite action, perhaps at the start of the academic year, would set the tone and things could be dampened down and there is something of herd instinct here, if things are calmed others will then be less inclined to act the maggot.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-03-2019, 17:04   #47
expectationlost

well you can be discipined gor conduct outside the college

UCD Student Code
http://www.ucd.ie/governance/resourc...e-studentcode/
Quote:
Breaches of Discipline
Any act or omission, which affects adversely the rights of any other member of the academic community, or which
disrupts the orderly and responsible conduct of any University activity, or which violates any University Regulation,
shall constitute a breach of discipline, examples of which could include but are not limited to:
Quote:
6.18 Any activity, whether committed inside or outside the University, which adversely affects, or is likely to
adversely affect, the reputation of the University, its students or members of staff.
11-03-2019, 17:23   #48
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectationlost View Post
well you can be discipined gor conduct outside the college

UCD Student Code
http://www.ucd.ie/governance/resourc...e-studentcode/
Excellent stuff !

Presumably all students will have been required to accept and sign this Student Code ?

If so then it offers a very strong rod with which to birch the offenders.
If the UCD authorities and Bus Companies can be enticed to bring the Student Code to the forefront,then with clear CCTV footage,it should be relatively easy to find a willing volunteer to be the first dope to be expelled for acting the Jinnet in public.

So,it's a waiting game now.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 23:15   #49
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditas View Post
It was happening when I started there in 92!
Seems to die down for a year or two and then flare up again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLight View Post
No, the crux of the issue is that this has been happening for YEARS and nothing has changed....
I travelled that route regularly in 1989/1990 (not as a UCD student) and it was going on then.
12-03-2019, 01:54   #50
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Over in London the assault screen is sealed meaning the driver cannot open even if he/she wished noticed this in other cities too. Would drivers be unhappy if they did that here too?
I'd start looking for another job straight away. I experimented with the screen up all the way recently, on a late run on the 75, and hated it. It felt claustrophobic and I couldn't hear anyone properly. I think it creates an unfriendly and 'distant' atmosphere between the driver and passengers. If I wanted to speak to people through a screen, I'd get a job in a bank. The chance of taking a punch from a passenger is so low on the routes I drive that it feels completely unnecessary.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2019, 11:26   #51
dashcamdanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Da sells Avon View Post
I'd start looking for another job straight away. I experimented with the screen up all the way recently, on a late run on the 75, and hated it. It felt claustrophobic and I couldn't hear anyone properly. I think it creates an unfriendly and 'distant' atmosphere between the driver and passengers. If I wanted to speak to people through a screen, I'd get a job in a bank. The chance of taking a punch from a passenger is so low on the routes I drive that it feels completely unnecessary.
As long as you realize that if you do get attacked and hurt, the first question your company will ask is " ......"
I think you know the answer to that.

It may also affect any payed time off to recover from injury inflicted or a claim.

In sh1t hole areas in Dublin mine is up.

I have been attacked more than once.

If UCD was on my route. I would not be stopping for a bunch of lads either. No way in hell I need that BS in my day.
12-03-2019, 13:05   #52
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Da sells Avon View Post
I actually agree with YDsA's opinion on "The Screen".

Modern Operating companies place a huge emphasis upon "Customer Focused" staff,and have incorporated allsorts of filters into their recruitment processes in an attempt to ensure that pleasant welcoming simle for every customer boarding.

However,such principles depend upon the Customer also buying fully into it,something which cannot be a universal "given" in this business.

My experience in Busdriving predates the "Assault Screen" and incorpoates some Two Person Operation,where it has to be said,some rough behaviour occurred also.

However,such behaviour was VERY rare,and would be a conversation point for months afterwards.

There was a far more personal interaction involved in a Conductor Scenario,as he/she was totally focused upon the Human Factor element of the deal,leaving the Driver to focus on the driving.

However,any Busdriver operating a vehicle in which a Security Screen is provided,would need to fully accquaint themselves with their employers Health & Safety Policy for Driving Staff,as it could place certain responsibilities on the Staff Member regarding the use of relevant PPE,as the screen would be described.

These is NO problem at all in not using any of these protections...UNTIL something happens,and that something,can happen without any warning at all.

The Dublin Bus issue was researched quite comprehensively back in 2008 (?)

https://arrow.dit.ie/aaschssldis/3/

The arrival of One Person Operation altered this delicate relationship for ever,and the situations we see today became more common. (NOT specific to Dublin by any means)

https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/re...iour-on-buses/

https://planetradio.co.uk/hits-radio...behaviour-bus/

https://www.tfgm.com/press-release/civil-injunctions

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...ial-behaviour/

Those are only a pop-up selection of cases,with,I believe the Greater Manchester proposal of injuncting named individuals,being the one most suited to the UCD situation.

It does also offer the greater Student Body some opportunity to reflect upon what exactly they are prepared to do,in order to recover their reputation,which currently is dragged through the muck with regularity along the N11.

Doing nothing is always an option,however it has to be the silent one.
(2) thanks from:
14-03-2019, 09:09   #53
Xterminator

Hmm. those saying the bus driver sitting behind a screen would be a defense to allow gangs on the bus are ignoring another key point.

DB have to provide a safe environment for their customers as well as there staff. The other passengers wont be safe behind a perspex screen and would also be at the mercy of the yobs. Its hard to envisage that some people would like to see the one person charged with their safety unable to leave their berth by design to come to a passengers aid?

The real solution is the enforcement of sanctions on the thugs using available cc tv footage etc. there will always be people who misbehave but if the serial offenders lost their UCD privileges, and their peers saw the law enforced, it would go a long way towards solving issues like this.
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 18:49   #54
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterminator View Post
Hmm. those saying the bus driver sitting behind a screen would be a defense to allow gangs on the bus are ignoring another key point.

DB have to provide a safe environment for their customers as well as there staff. The other passengers wont be safe behind a perspex screen and would also be at the mercy of the yobs. Its hard to envisage that some people would like to see the one person charged with their safety unable to leave their berth by design to come to a passengers aid
But what you suggest a bus driver does to come to the aid of passengers? He/she is not a LEO and can do little more than switch off the engine, radio control to call the emmergency services and wait for the emmergency services to arrive or for the situation to come to a conclusion in the mean time ie. the culprits do a runner. There is little more the driver can do.

As for assault screens rightly or wrongly they are something which many urban bus operators have installed across the continent and further afield. Like or not it is in companies and passengers interests to provide a safe working environment for employees as assaults lead to drivers on leave due to injuries suffered in assaults, poor staff retention rates, difficulties attracting new entrants and ultimately a loss in service be that due to a failure to provide enough drivers or drivers refusing to work in at certain times in certain areas.

There is certainly many things that can and should be done to prevent these disturbances but buy and large this is something that is down to agencies such the DoJ, DoF and AGS rather than the NTA, DB and GAI to do.

One thing I would suggest which in my opinion would prevent some of this behaviour is security on certain services deemed high risk similar to the Luas it would provide extra protection for drivers and passengers. They could be deployed on services serving UCD after 21:30 and on the likes of the 13, 27, 40 and 77a.

Last edited by Stephen15; 14-03-2019 at 19:11.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion