Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 12:23   #31
thomasj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,216
Maybe it's time for UCD to hold these guys accountable for their actions. After all it's the reputation of the college at risk.
thomasj is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 12:25   #32
AlekSmart
Registered User
 
AlekSmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditas View Post
It was happening when I started there in 92!
Seems to die down for a year or two and then flare up again.
It dies down on an annual basis,restarting usually with each years freshers intake,when the previous years moulted birds,bring the fledglings on their first flights out of the nest.
Just as with a mating ritual,there is great competion to see who can be the MOST "Crazy" "Mad" "Wild" tutor,and who can be the equal in the new groups.

What usually dampens the entire thing down is the approach of exams,when the Student Body,as a group,are suddenly made aware that being able to do sums and joined up writing,does not necessarily guarantee them a worthwhile degree in anything of value to Business & Commerce. (Arts operates on a totally different plane ).

There is a very real correlation between this long standing vandalist codology,and the decline of Irish Universities standards,worldwide....

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-univ...56883-Jun2018/

The headline is deadly accurate....

Quote:
Fall of Irish universities in world rankings 'disappointing but not a surprise'
It is certainly not a surprise to Busdrivers (many of whom have Sons & Daughters attending these institutions),who are perhaps far more aware of developing trends,long before they become apparent to College Authorities,Councillors or,for sure...Parents.

In the short term,it is the College Authorities who have the most to lose here,as the standings of their Institutions continue to decline,except that there is no "Politically Correct" way they can find to deal with it.

The Bold Corner or Suspension may have worked in 1st and 2nd Level,but once you start playing in the Big Yard,you must expect far more exacting sanctions.

Meantime,all we will hear is the loud,repeated calls for "More Investment",which presumably will stretch to Taxi's on demand,for all Freshers and partners heading Townwards of a Tuesday Night ....

So don't fret,civilization will reclaim the N11 around June
AlekSmart is offline  
10-03-2019, 12:47   #33
turbowolfed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 57
I'm someone who does go to UCD (doing a master's) and doesn't live on campus, never even been in the student bar. I'm pretty dependent on the buses to actually pick me up so I can go home. There's been a good few times now I've had to stay back in the library and been left stranded at the bus stop.

I understand that there is anti-social behavior from some of the drunk young ones. It is annoying. Dangerous. They should have the book thrown at them if they're causing damage.

But UCD is huge and there's far more people just trying to get home after their day, then there are causing trouble. Ultimately i don't think it should be up to each bus driver to decide willy-nilly that they can just skip the stop and leave the rest of us in the lurch.
turbowolfed is offline  
10-03-2019, 14:19   #34
punisher5112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,339
In all honesty the drivers want an easy life and don't need any more added stress to the stressful environment the job is already.

Drivers are on their own and have no protection or backing from the company.

I could quote quite a few instances but I don't want to be identified.

I have waited for assistance after being assaulted for 3½ hours.

The inspectors which are on mega money should be out doing their jobs and not sitting in a depot watching TV behind the hatch.

Imo they do as little as possible and are only interested in catching a driver out on some Tyson they can book them.

I've asked for assistance of different ones over the years to be either ignored or told it's not in their job description and sure I could have told the person the issue etc etc.

Drivers are left in a very tough spot and do not want to go out of their way to upset or burden others but it's the only way and I'm surprised it's only hitting the news now as I know this has been going on in my time near 14 years at the company.
punisher5112 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-03-2019, 14:41   #35
Qrt
Registered User
 
Qrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
In all honesty the drivers want an easy life and don't need any more added stress to the stressful environment the job is already.

Drivers are on their own and have no protection or backing from the company.

I could quote quite a few instances but I don't want to be identified.

I have waited for assistance after being assaulted for 3½ hours.

The inspectors which are on mega money should be out doing their jobs and not sitting in a depot watching TV behind the hatch.

Imo they do as little as possible and are only interested in catching a driver out on some Tyson they can book them.

I've asked for assistance of different ones over the years to be either ignored or told it's not in their job description and sure I could have told the person the issue etc etc.

Drivers are left in a very tough spot and do not want to go out of their way to upset or burden others but it's the only way and I'm surprised it's only hitting the news now as I know this has been going on in my time near 14 years at the company.
Can I ask, do you use the screen all the time? I mean, drivers being subjected to abuse is disgusting and the perpetrators need to be shot out of a cannon to somewhere far far far away, but even on the 27, I often see drivers with the screens down.
Qrt is offline  
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 17:35   #36
punisher5112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrt View Post
Can I ask, do you use the screen all the time? I mean, drivers being subjected to abuse is disgusting and the perpetrators need to be shot out of a cannon to somewhere far far far away, but even on the 27, I often see drivers with the screens down.
It's a thing where it's up it's used as a punch bag, you can't hear a thing through it, it can be quite squashed in there too.

I use to be erected put it up but had too much hassle upstairs where they would ask was it up each time something would happen.

I've only started having it up all the time that over a year and God did it feel weird and also at night the shining of lights and reflection can be difficult too.
punisher5112 is offline  
10-03-2019, 17:42   #37
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Glentoran View Post
Says a lot that the same nonsense isn’t happening around Trinity. Country bais dazzled by being away from Mammy’s leash, I reckon.
those trinity students often live in town, wouldnt get the bus ha.


its all to do with the increase in cocaine use, we've reached peak boom again and the amount of people wandering round town high as a kite only awake because of columbian magic, some of the calmest pubs in the city now will have some young lads roaring at each other and kicking off because of it.
Eric Cartman is offline  
10-03-2019, 17:46   #38
Atlantic Dawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 47,881
Why does the CCTV of people onboard wrecking the buses not make its way on to Crimecall for these individuals to be identified?
Atlantic Dawn is online now  
10-03-2019, 18:08   #39
boombang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
How is stuff like this allowed happen in this country, why not just put 4 plain clothes Gardaí on every bus going through that area each evening and arrest every single person acting the clown, problem solved, hardly a need to setup a research group and have a study on the problem.
Ireland, the land of non enforcement. From Pat Hickey, the Banks, to Balbriggan and Finglas. Nobody has the balls to stamp out anti social behaviour of one sort or other.
boombang is offline  
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 18:17   #40
Stephen15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
It's a thing where it's up it's used as a punch bag, you can't hear a thing through it, it can be quite squashed in there too.

I use to be erected put it up but had too much hassle upstairs where they would ask was it up each time something would happen.

I've only started having it up all the time that over a year and God did it feel weird and also at night the shining of lights and reflection can be difficult too.
Over in London the assault screen is sealed meaning the driver cannot open even if he/she wished noticed this in other cities too. Would drivers be unhappy if they did that here too?
Stephen15 is offline  
10-03-2019, 18:46   #41
expectationlost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
Why does the CCTV of people onboard wrecking the buses not make its way on to Crimecall for these individuals to be identified?
or to the UCD authorities?
expectationlost is offline  
10-03-2019, 18:48   #42
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by expectationlost View Post
or to the UCD authorities?
GDPR sadly.

You'd need to pay an editor to blur all the faces not involved, which at bus angles might yield unusable footage , you also have a problem with a lot of young people dressing the same, two young lads with that stupid shaved sides mop on top haircut both in black bubble jackets and one throws a bottle and you accidentally show the other one getting off the bus and you're done.
Eric Cartman is offline  
10-03-2019, 20:17   #43
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by expectationlost View Post
or to the UCD authorities?
You’re aware of the population of UCD when you make statements like that, right? How would that work, DB would pass photos of ten students to some random staff member in UCD and ask them if they’ve seen them before?
markpb is offline  
Thanks from:
11-03-2019, 06:23   #44
AlekSmart
Registered User
 
AlekSmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
You’re aware of the population of UCD when you make statements like that, right? How would that work, DB would pass photos of ten students to some random staff member in UCD and ask them if they’ve seen them before?
The essence then,being the Irish Solution....do nothing,and do it repeatedly.

As others have pointed out,this idiocy has been ongoing now for decades,and worsening every year.

Safest thing (for a career administrator) is to avoid the spotlight,do NOT be the one who gets too embroiled in a "Joe Duffy" post match review,and let the Busdriver be the responsible person for the actions of a LARGE amount of the UCD Student Body,both on & off the Bus.

This stuff is NOT just the actions of a few.
AlekSmart is offline  
11-03-2019, 11:17   #45
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekSmart View Post
The essence then,being the Irish Solution....do nothing,and do it repeatedly.
That's not what I said at all. Making suggestions that are completely unworkable is worse than doing nothing. All it does it gives the person saying it a feeling that they are contributing and let's them wonder why others aren't as clever as them. If the problematic passengers were getting on at a different bus stop, what would happen? Would we be suggesting that DB canvas the local residents association for help policing the issue? Of course, not. The right solution for this is for AGS to act on it. Of course, that's unlikely to happen so all we can do is canvas our politicians to add additional resources to AGS or, preferably, for the creation of a transport police force.
markpb is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet