Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2019, 21:02   #1
Stephen15

Dublin Bus UCD Anti Social Behaviour

As has been recently talked about in the news and media unfortunately DB have been having trouble in UCD with anti social behaviour from drunken students with buses not stopping there after a certain time. Obviously I agree that drivers and passengers deserve a safe travelling/working environment.

But what I don't understand is why DB aren't using their standard procedure in place for dealing with such incidents like do in other areas with common anti social behaviour such as Neilstown, Jobstown, Finglas West and Ballyfermot with buses being pulled for an hour on the first incident and for the rest of the night at the second incident and this being publicised on their website and social media.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have a union agreement with other areas when there's anti social behaviour but this those not appear to be the case with UCD with it left as it appear purely up to the individual drivers discreation and no disruptive passengers being left in the dark.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 21:10   #2
Yakov P. Golyadkin

The 46a and 145 both serve this particular stop, pulling them would leave a lot of people without a service. It's also the case that the 39 starts in UCD so even if the 46a and 145 skip the stop there's still a service to the city centre.
More speculatively, I get the impression that the carry on is more of a nuisance than actively dangerous and individual drivers decide they don't want the hassle so skip the stop. It's been happening for at least ten years too, on more than one occasion I've been on a late 46a into town that stayed on the N11 rather than passing UCD.
09-03-2019, 21:35   #3
Iamxavier

I don't see how pulling the service is beneficial in the long run, why are the police not called to deal with such behaviour? The drunken twits don't care if the service is pulled. It only puts out everybody else who need the service.
09-03-2019, 21:41   #4
TheQuietFella

A few country lads up from the country bedazzled by all the bright lights and the company when all they're used to is the barn and walking up the boreen late into the evening! The novelty will come to pass....eventually!
09-03-2019, 21:51   #5
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakov P. Golyadkin View Post
The 46a and 145 both serve this particular stop, pulling them would leave a lot of people without a service. It's also the case that the 39 starts in UCD so even if the 46a and 145 skip the stop there's still a service to the city centre.
More speculatively, I get the impression that the carry on is more of a nuisance than actively dangerous and individual drivers decide they don't want the hassle so skip the stop. It's been happening for at least ten years too, on more than one occasion I've been on a late 46a into town that stayed on the N11 rather than passing UCD.
The 39 doesn't serve UCD so I assume you mean the 39a. I believe the 39a starts a couple of stops after UCD and doesn't go into the campus itself after a certain time. Generally in areas with anti social behaviour issues there is a procedure in place that is agreed with drivers to be adhered to and any driver not complying with it is disciplined accordingly.

I'm not sure exactly but I believe there have been issues with buses being damaged and students breaking the windows on buses meaning they have to be pulled from service and taken back to the garage also drivers have been threatened and students gotten on and refused to pay fares. Also believe there have been buses which have had bottles thrown at them which I would regard as potentially dangerous behaviour.
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 21:56   #6
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamxavier View Post
I don't see how pulling the service is beneficial in the long run, why are the police not called to deal with such behaviour? The drunken twits don't care if the service is pulled. It only puts out everybody else who need the service.
I'm sure the drivers are requesting Garda assistance when needed. Preventing and reducing anti social is the work of AGS not DB but DB have the role of keeping staff and passengers safe.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 22:07   #7
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15
The 39 doesn't serve UCD so I assume you mean the 39a. I believe the 39a starts a couple of stops after UCD and doesn't go into the campus itself after a certain time. Generally in areas with anti social behaviour issues there is a procedure in place that is agreed with drivers to be adhered to and any driver not complying with it is disciplined accordingly.
The last 39 departure leaves UCD at 11.10pm
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 22:10   #8
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
The last 39 departure leaves UCD at 11.10pm
I forgot about that one does it actually serve UCD most nights or start a few stops after UCD?

Last edited by Stephen15; 09-03-2019 at 22:13.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 22:27   #9
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15
I forgot about that one does it actually serve UCD most nights or start a few stops after UCD?
According to tweets online the 39/as don't stop in the bus park after 10pm
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 22:32   #10
poisonated

something like this has been happening for at least the last few years.
09-03-2019, 22:46   #11
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonated View Post
something like this has been happening for at least the last few years.
From what I gather that is true. The problem I have is that DB aren't publishing their arrangements for late night buses serving UCD if buses aren't serving UCD why aren't they telling passengers so they can make alternative arrangements like they would if the 27 is out of Jobstown for the night.

Why is DB treating UCD differently to Jobstown, Finglas, Neilstown or Ballyfermot etc. when it comes to anti social behaviour or are there other areas where buses are pulled from due to anti social behaviour but it isin't reported.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 23:00   #12
Charles Babbage

This would seem to be something that could be managed. Have a chat with the Gardai and put offenders off at the Donnybrook Garda station would get the message across. The 39A stop is on UCD property, making it possible for the college to throw the book at offenders. There needs to be a good effort made to maintain service and if Dublin Bus wish to amend their routes then they must publish the changes and ensure that electronic signs etc reflect the change, this does not seem to be happening.
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 23:43   #13
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Babbage View Post
This would seem to be something that could be managed. Have a chat with the Gardai and put offenders off at the Donnybrook Garda station would get the message across. The 39A stop is on UCD property, making it possible for the college to throw the book at offenders. There needs to be a good effort made to maintain service and if Dublin Bus wish to amend their routes then they must publish the changes and ensure that electronic signs etc reflect the change, this does not seem to be happening.
Or perhaps with the student residences they could introduce a curfew and close down the student bar until they can behave themselves. Some the sense of entitlement coming from the students is jsut ridiculous.
09-03-2019, 23:59   #14
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Or perhaps with the student residences they could introduce a curfew and close down the student bar until they can behave themselves. Some the sense of entitlement coming from the students is jsut ridiculous.

Are they getting drunk in the bar? Is the modern approach not to tank up on spirits in the residences and then go to town?
10-03-2019, 00:05   #15
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Babbage View Post
Are they getting drunk in the bar? Is the modern approach not to tank up on spirits in the residences and then go to town?
That's why they should have a curfew in the residences aswell

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion