Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2019, 09:01   #16
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.Monte View Post
There's has already been a long discussion about this on another thread. By your logic the Enterprise should terminate at Malahide too?
But if it were to be s much faster journey I see it as a plus. Transportation is way too slow and way too many hold ups.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-02-2019, 11:19   #17
goingnowhere

Its important to remember

1. Inflation in the 1980's was insane
2. The EEC provided a grant, sent the cheque but the Dept of Finance pocketed the cash
3. CIE took a loan out from the EIB at an insane interest rate to cover the lack of the EEC grant

So actually on paper
1. If you factor the VAT, interest and inflation the DART was on budget
2. The bulk of the operating loss was interest payment on the loan

And the DART did make a profit in the mid 1990's as the loan was split out and paid separately and is now paid off.
25-02-2019, 12:28   #18
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Every single positive move with regards to Public transport in Dublin stretching back to closing Grafton St to traffic has been intensely opposed in media. There is a huge amount of money to be made from our current arrangements and the dependency on the car. Buying cars, insuring them, parking them and taxing them makes all sorts of people money. Car parks in particular offer land owners in high demand areas an easy low maintenance return. Those incentives to oppose merges with natural Nimbyism to create a toxic mix. It is profitable to oppose progress in these areas. It gains money, votes and airtime.

The necessary solution is painfully obvious, but we simply don't have the balls to do it.
25-02-2019, 12:46   #19
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Dart needs to be sped up, it needs more trains/carriages, we need proper park and ride facilities at the likes of greystones which would be a huge help on morning traffic to Dublin.

Greystones has a good 400 parking spaces adjacent to the station, most of which are free to rail passengers. Is there a need for additional spaces here?
25-02-2019, 13:06   #20
Del.Monte

Two classic pieces of anti-rail tosh from two well known transport experts before the opening of the original Luas lines.
Advertisement
25-02-2019, 13:43   #21
London Correspondent

Unfortunately anti rail tosh isn’t just for cosseted pundits in the meeja. We see it at the heart of the decision making process as well.
25-02-2019, 13:53   #22
cgcsb

Just glad I was only a kid in those days, I'd have a heart condition now otherwise.
25-02-2019, 14:34   #23
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
Just glad I was only a kid in those days, I'd have a heart condition now otherwise.
There's no change, it's just as bad now.
25-02-2019, 14:39   #24
cgcsb

Quote:
There's has already been a long discussion about this on another thread. By your logic the Enterprise should terminate at Malahide too?
There could be a case for terminating at Donebate if the metro is extended there.
Advertisement
25-02-2019, 14:41   #25
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
There's no change, it's just as bad now.
Well except we have the luas in place, it is well regarded and extensions of the system are often called for. Also acceptance of the Northern half of metrolink as the only way forward is almost universal.
25-02-2019, 16:26   #26
end of the road

Quote:

there were actually 2 long running discussions. 1 in the train and rail systems forum and 1 in the main c&t forum. i will link them if i can find them.
Thanks from:
25-02-2019, 17:05   #27
end of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
there were actually 2 long running discussions. 1 in the train and rail systems forum and 1 in the main c&t forum. i will link them if i can find them.
here we go
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...7780805&page=7
from about post 266 on

a thread more or less dedicated to that discussion
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057889846
Thanks from:
25-02-2019, 17:39   #28
Markcheese

Politically, a government (and individual ministers) should always, always defer decision.
Commission a report, set up an action group, or a task force,give the appearance of interest and action, what ever, but under no circumstances should they actually start works.. Because it'll be all their fault...
There'll be no shortage of journalists and experts who'll say it's a vanity, a fiasco, a white elephant...
And its bound to have been estimated at one third the actual price, so it'll always go way over budget..
26-02-2019, 09:19   #29
Lord Glentoran

Quote:

Two classic pieces of anti-rail tosh from two well known transport experts before the opening of the original Luas lines.
Classic tosh from Vincenzo - that second piece tho https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/video-b...m-today-483906
Thanks from:
26-02-2019, 12:31   #30
Zebra3

Tbf, with regard to the Tallaght Luas, it’s a ridiculous amount of time for commuters to get from there to the CC.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion