Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-02-2019, 10:28   #1
thomasj

"The great DART elephant!"

RTE does daily archived news items (reported from today , in previous years)

Today's article is on the DART, and it's overruns.

It includes a quote from the then transport minister Jim MItchell that it would never make a profit.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/021...-dart-overrun/
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-02-2019, 10:50   #2
Del.Monte

The DART doesn't make a profit and only got the nod from FG as a belated electoral stunt which didn't work.

The same feature could be put together about the Luas. The Sunday Business Post and the Indo opposed it from Day.1. - I have the press cuttings and will stick them up when I get a chance.
24-02-2019, 14:47   #3
Lord Glentoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.Monte View Post
The DART doesn't make a profit and only got the nod from FG as a belated electoral stunt which didn't work.

The same feature could be put together about the Luas. The Sunday Business Post and the Indo opposed it from Day.1. - I have the press cuttings and will stick them up when I get a chance.
I rather fancy writing something about it when I’m no longer a family carer - shall relish raking over some of the nonsense pronouncements made as “fact” by people still in the public eye.

It isn’t only Trump and Brexit that generated fake news.

Edit - I haven’t brought the SBP since they printed an article in 2004 full of citations from unnamed sources that the ride was the “worst” they had ever experienced on a “train”, or that the reasoning behind trams for Dublin was that, again, unnamed people considered them to be “quaint”.

Honourable mention also goes to the old Sunday Tribune that stuck up graphics about tunnelling for an underground that implied that an underground would be dug by unseen moles and that the spoil would mysteriously vanish.

And that’s just a small part of the guff the Luas project generated in the papers.

Last edited by Lord Glentoran; 24-02-2019 at 14:54.
24-02-2019, 18:08   #4
Zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
RTE does daily archived news items (reported from today , in previous years)

Today's article is on the DART, and it's overruns.

It includes a quote from the then transport minister Jim MItchell that it would never make a profit.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/021...-dart-overrun/
Shocking that they ripped up the old railway line.
(3) thanks from:
24-02-2019, 18:49   #5
Rulmeq

Send a message via MSN to Rulmeq
Just noticed one of the other videos up there: Seamus Brennan confirms Dublin will have metro to airport by 2007. https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/073...ublin-airport/
Advertisement
24-02-2019, 18:55   #6
coylemj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
Shocking that they ripped up the old railway line.
Which railway line was ripped up to make way for the Dart?
24-02-2019, 19:34   #7
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylemj View Post
Which railway line was ripped up to make way for the Dart?
They re-layed the DSER / DWWR track. That post was, I suspect, a jibe at the ill informed nonsense coming from the Greens etc about the metro; as they make similar claims about the Luas upgrade
(4) thanks from:
25-02-2019, 00:53   #8
Losty Dublin

Quote:

1) Wasn't it a Fianna Fail led government that okayed it, or was it Cosgrave's watch that made the call?
2) There was no SBP until 1989. Perhaps you mean the Tribune; it started up in 1980.
25-02-2019, 01:17   #9
Effects

Quote:
Why does it have to make a profit? It provides a public service.

Do hospitals make a profit?
Advertisement
25-02-2019, 01:49   #10
Qrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
Why does it have to make a profit?
Neoliberalism
Thanks from:
25-02-2019, 03:50   #11
whisky_galore

Dublin couldn't possibly function without it now.

Just goes to show that many of our transport ministers, including the incumbent, aren't particularly bright.
25-02-2019, 08:23   #12
Lord Glentoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Dublin couldn't possibly function without it now.

Just goes to show that many of our transport ministers, including the incumbent, aren't particularly bright.
Plenty of our transport “experts” quoted in the newspapers are not as smart as they’d like to think they are.

As for ministers, generally they have followed the lead of their civil servants who, for some reason, tend to heed those “experts” who believe the sky will fall if any suggested rail project would come in on time and un-mutilated.
25-02-2019, 08:29   #13
punisher5112

Dart needs to be sped up, it needs more trains/carriages, we need proper park and ride facilities at the likes of greystones which would be a huge help on morning traffic to Dublin.

Rosslare train should only run from bray to Wexford and update the line and frequency this would speed things up so much.
(2) thanks from:
25-02-2019, 08:57   #14
Del.Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losty Dublin View Post
1) Wasn't it a Fianna Fail led government that okayed it, or was it Cosgrave's watch that made the call?
2) There was no SBP until 1989. Perhaps you mean the Tribune; it started up in 1980.
I'll dig out the newscuttings soon. The Sunday Business Post reference was regarding their opposition to the Luas not the DART.
(2) thanks from:
25-02-2019, 08:59   #15
Del.Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Dart needs to be sped up, it needs more trains/carriages, we need proper park and ride facilities at the likes of greystones which would be a huge help on morning traffic to Dublin.

Rosslare train should only run from bray to Wexford and update the line and frequency this would speed things up so much.
There's has already been a long discussion about this on another thread. By your logic the Enterprise should terminate at Malahide too?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion