Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2019, 10:29   #1
grahambo
Subscriber

Dublin ranks 3rd in terms of the amount of time spent in cars due to congestion

Read this in the news this morning.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...rs-904088.html

Had a check of the Data myself.
http://inrix.com/scorecard/

I think "Impact Rank" is the volume of cars/people in an area, Dublin comes 52nd in this out of 200.

However if you sort by the amount of time an average commuter spends in their car as a result of congestion, Dublin ranks 3rd, with an average of 246 hours per commuter spent in their car every year.

I'm not surprised, there is a war on cars/private transportation in Dublin at the minute. But what the councils don't seem to get is that Irish people like their cars, and are prepared to sit in them, stuck in traffic for 10 days a year!

We've a hell of a long way to go with regards transport in Dublin.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 10:37   #2
CrankyHaus

Things seem to be getting better.

In recent years we've had extension of the Luas (though part of it may be flawed), some improvements of cycle lanes and expansion of bus services beyond the Dublin Bus monopoly. We've a long way to go obviously. Decent park and rides to service those coming in from the commuter belt seems to be something we could improve upon.
(4) thanks from:
13-02-2019, 10:46   #3
CatInABox

Mod: Xbox, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyHaus View Post
Things seem to be getting better.

In recent years we've had extension of the Luas (though part of it may be flawed), some improvements of cycle lanes and expansion of bus services beyond the Dublin Bus monopoly. We've a long way to go obviously. Decent park and rides to service those coming in from the commuter belt seems to be something we could improve upon.
Realistically, we'll need the Dart Expansion and the Metrolink to be built before park and rides become viable. Almost all PT in and out of the city is running at capacity, or near enough to it that any increase in passenger numbers will push it over.

No one is going to get out of their car to be left behind on the platform.
13-02-2019, 10:58   #4
CrankyHaus

I never really take PT at rush hour so I wasn't aware of that but if it's true then definitely greater PT capacity is required.

There are options other than PT though. I know people who drive in from Drogheda on the M1/N1, park at Whitehall and cycle from there. Co-location of Dublin bike stations with such car parks may be something to consider as a complement to more PT.

Last edited by CrankyHaus; 13-02-2019 at 11:31.
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 11:12   #5
grahambo
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInABox View Post
Realistically, we'll need the Dart Expansion and the Metrolink to be built before park and rides become viable. Almost all PT in and out of the city is running at capacity, or near enough to it that any increase in passenger numbers will push it over.

No one is going to get out of their car to be left behind on the platform.
I'd agree with you on that.
I go to work either extra early or a bit late to avoid being crammed into a Dart/Luas

I still think the number of hours spent in a car not moving, is shocking

As CrankyHaus said, things are definitely improving.
The Luas extension is great (or at least up until the part from the Liffey to Stephen Green)
New Signalling system for DART is an improvement (but again there were a number of important elements that were not thought out)

I think though that all the crap with public expenditure given the Childrens hospital mess will mean that all big projects such as: Metro, Further Luas extensions, DART underground, etc will be heavily scrutinized and/or put on hold (or even scrapped)
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 11:14   #6
Idbatterim

The absolute definition of a banana republic! The luas extension to bray and a spur further south to Hoover cars off the n11 is needed! Along with Dublin metro and dart underground, also the extension of green line to far side of m50 for another park and ride!

Ideally metro west equivalent and metro south west. But they are god knows how long off. What I outlined above should be in planning now!
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 11:25   #7
Hurrache

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post
I'm not surprised, there is a war on cars/private transportation in Dublin at the minute. But what the councils don't seem to get is that Irish people like their cars, and are prepared to sit in them, stuck in traffic for 10 days a year!
Doesn't matter if the council "don't get" it, that's not the problem here.
(3) thanks from:
13-02-2019, 11:30   #8
Idbatterim

These morons build an entirely car dependent city. Then spend minuscule amounts on proper public transport solutions , actually scratch that , we don’t have a segregated metro here. They won’t get me out of my car for the vast majority of my trips. Bus journeys that are longer than frodos trek to Mordor!

How in gods name does this kip not have twenty four hour bus services and luas should be operating longer too !
13-02-2019, 11:40   #9
CIARAN_BOYLE

I work in city centre. I moved my start time to 8am to avoid traffic.

My morning bus can be full in the mornings but usually isn't.

I don't see much more capacity in public transport at rush hour. more people moving their hours from 9-5 would be a good thing.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 13:06   #10
sharper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambo View Post
If there's a war then private cars are winning. Traffic measures meant to improve the total number of people moving about (by prioritising public transport) routinely fail at the last minute in favour of private cars.

Transport capacity for single occupancy vehicles is an unsolvable problem. The more space you allocate the more cards on the road you get.

A lot of people think the financial crisis of 2007 is long over but we're still carrying the weight of having the capital investment slashed to maintain day-to-day expenditure. Even as we inch towards the next crisis we have no real plans or funding for the major improvements needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIARAN_BOYLE View Post
I work in city centre. I moved my start time to 8am to avoid traffic.
I think the earliest possible Dublin Bus (leaving a bit after 7am) and I find traffic is already very heavy. In some places people would need to be leaving before 6am because 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm seem to be the new peak hours for traffic.
13-02-2019, 13:29   #11
Macha

Higher density development. If you don't do that, the rest is an uphill battle.
13-02-2019, 13:34   #12
grahambo
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
If there's a war then private cars are winning. Traffic measures meant to improve the total number of people moving about (by prioritising public transport) routinely fail at the last minute in favour of private cars.

Transport capacity for single occupancy vehicles is an unsolvable problem. The more space you allocate the more cards on the road you get.
You're totally right that most of the cars heading into town have only one person in them and it's without a doubt the most inefficient way to do things.
I think for a lot of people though, they're either dropping kids off at school/creche before hand and it's just to much hassle to go home get on a train/bus/luas and then do the whole lot in reverse in the evening.

I think though that those that do NOT have kids to look after first, should be using a motorcycle / bicycle / maybe even a twizy!!!!

But even then there's a problem
Motorbikes / Bicycles both face the problem of parking and thieves
Bicycles have issues with cycle lanes
Motorbikes have a stigma attached to them that they are dangerous.

Twizy would only work if everyone has a twizy

Quote:
A lot of people think the financial crisis of 2007 is long over but we're still carrying the weight of having the capital investment slashed to maintain day-to-day expenditure. Even as we inch towards the next crisis we have no real plans or funding for the major improvements needed.
Well there's plans.... there's just no money...

Quote:
I think the earliest possible Dublin Bus (leaving a bit after 7am) and I find traffic is already very heavy. In some places people would need to be leaving before 6am because 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm seem to be the new peak hours for traffic.
Again no money, late night services need to be paid for by someone ya know?
(2) thanks from:
13-02-2019, 13:55   #13
Idbatterim

Quote:
I think though that those that do NOT have kids to look after first, should be using a motorcycle / bicycle / maybe even a twizy!!!!

But even then there's a problem
Motorbikes / Bicycles both face the problem of parking and thieves
Bicycles have issues with cycle lanes
Motorbikes have a stigma attached to them that they are dangerous.
Its not the motorbikes that are dangerous! You could be the best motorbike driver, do you drive on Dublins roads everyday with the morons I do? Not a chance I'd put myself my life at the mercy of the said morons!
(4) thanks from:
13-02-2019, 14:08   #14
Idbatterim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macha View Post
Higher density development. If you don't do that, the rest is an uphill battle.
totally agree, build on Irish glass bottle site and possibly even the port, can house hundreds of thousands and they can walk or cycle to work! Get them out of house shares in the suburbs and free them up for families!
13-02-2019, 14:16   #15
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idbatterim View Post
The absolute definition of a banana republic! The luas extension to bray and a spur further south to Hoover cars off the n11 is needed! Along with Dublin metro and dart underground, also the extension of green line to far side of m50 for another park and ride!

Ideally metro west equivalent and metro south west. But they are god knows how long off. What I outlined above should be in planning now!
Extending the green line is not going to work until the Metro is built and the line between Charlemont and Sandyford is upgraded to Metro as the Green line is currently at capacity.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion