Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-12-2018, 18:31   #31
Dravokivich
Moderator
 
Dravokivich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
You don't need to learn anything, you see a green light, don't keep gunning it as if it will stay green. Be prepared that you may have to stop until you reach a distance that stopping before the line would be dangerous/difficult. You should always be able to stop on Amber unless you are essentially going to be over the line if you drop anchor, in which case, proceed. If it is red when you get there and you cannot stop in time, then you clearly were not paying enough attention with the amber lights.
Do I have to copy everything I write into each post I write? I'm far from the one gunning it.
Dravokivich is offline  
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 19:48   #32
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
Do I have to copy everything I write into each post I write? I'm far from the one gunning it.
Then I don't get your point, you said you weren't going to learn the timings of each junctions, I was just saying you really don't need too. Drive appropriately for the conditions, including lights and layout and it should not be an issue.

I don't get your point against cameras either? I really can't see the negatives.
CramCycle is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 19:50   #33
Dravokivich
Moderator
 
Dravokivich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
Then I don't get your point, you said you weren't going to learn the timings of each junctions, I was just saying you really don't need too. Drive appropriately for the conditions, including lights and layout and it should not be an issue.

I don't get your point against cameras either? I really can't see the negatives.
A picture can't tell that you've illegally entered a junction.
Dravokivich is offline  
18-12-2018, 20:41   #34
caviardreams
Registered User
 
caviardreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,318
Agree - as a pedestrian along the N11, cars frequently break green men, often at a decent speed as well if it is outside peak times and there is little traffic. Or as another poster alluded to, sometimes after pedestrians have crossed, even if the lights are still green for pedestrians, motorists will just get going again and drive through them. The turn up fosters avenue is particularly bad for this - I would say a car breaks the green man at least once a week that I see there.
caviardreams is offline  
18-12-2018, 22:31   #35
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6,649
My other bugbear is the drivers who just have to cross the white line, blocking either bike box area, or the pedestrian crossing area, because they're worth it, I presume. Then they inevitably blame the driver in front, because they got 'caught' in the junction, as if heavy traffic at key junctions during Dublin rush hour came as a total surprise to them.
AndrewJRenko is online now  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 22:37   #36
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,496
One of the causes of the "early red" syndrome it the fact that most motorists are aware that there is a gap in the timings when all lights are red, so they know that there is often two seconds before the next green the opposite way.

Maybe we should introduce the green/amber sequence into this gap, as used in the UK and several European countries, doing this will stop the red jumpers as they know that the cross traffic will appear almost immediately after the red light.
dolanbaker is offline  
18-12-2018, 22:38   #37
John_Rambo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
My other bugbear is the drivers who just have to cross the white line, blocking either bike box area, or the pedestrian crossing area, because they're worth it, I presume. Then they inevitably blame the driver in front, because they got 'caught' in the junction, as if heavy traffic at key junctions during Dublin rush hour came as a total surprise to them.

Saw a Taxi driver jump out of his car to redirect a blind man around his car after the white cane came in to contact with the car. Pretty disorientating for a visually impaired person when this happens, do you go in front or behind? And then, what's the orientation?

Taxi had no reason to be over the line, just inching his way forward, impeding the crossing for no reason. He manhandled the guy on to the footpath and walked back to the car like some sort of hero.
John_Rambo is offline  
(4) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 22:42   #38
Zebra3
Registered User
 
Zebra3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,957
Utter contempt for a red light for years now as motorists know there is basically no enforcement.
Zebra3 is offline  
Thanks from:
18-12-2018, 22:45   #39
italodisco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongarboy View Post
https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37637372.html


The reason I'm writing is that I cross the junction of Guild Street and Mayor Street as a pedestrian every day in the IFSC in Dublin and it really angers me the way I see so many cars (mainly those coming from Beckett Bridge/North Wall Quay towards Sherrif St) breaking red lights. This morning, I observed the light going red and not one, not two, not three but 4 cars still proceeded to drive through the junction despite the pedestrian man being green and for which we all had to wait for the cars to pass before proceeding to cross.

I'm seeing this ignoring of red lights by motorists everywhere in Dublin these days. It used to just be amber gambling. Is this an upward trend associated with people's increased sense of impatience or has it always been there? More people will be killed like little Cian as long as this habit is not policed. I acknowledge that cyclists and pedestrians can similarly ignore ROTR but the consequences of a reckless motorist will always be so much worse in these circumstances.
I'm down there 3 or 4 mornings a week as I jump between our offices and you're not wrong, those lights at that junction that lead you to the back of the convention center, holy sh!t is unreal!

Only a weeks ago I seen it around 8am there, green man, red light, guy starts crossing the road and a car skids and misses him by a foot or 2.

If nearly been hit there a few times too.

It's gotten so much worse, I've adopted a new approach, if someone drives through a red when I cross they'll be getting my lunch / coffee bounced off their car and god love them if they challenge me, just imagine there's kids crossing the road alone/ in buggies, wft are these morons thinking at all
italodisco is offline  
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 22:45   #40
harr
Registered User
 
harr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,867
Just sen this thread now as I was saying it to a friend last week, we have a dangerous crossroads near us controlled by lights. The amount of people taking the chance on red is madness, like it’s not like they are just over the line they are speeding up when the lights change. This set of lights also has two pedestrian crossings, it won’t be long till some poor unfortunate is sent flying.
As for the few one way bridge lights/ narrow road they are ignored completely and again at speed.
Already this year two people have crashed into on coming tractors on one particular bridge.
harr is offline  
Thanks from:
18-12-2018, 22:45   #41
Macy0161
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762
However, I can understand why some drivers do it... various light sequences with a 3 or 4 minute wait... you do it three times and you're home 12 minutes earlier. I wouldn't though.
Part of the reason for the length of sequences is to allow for the rampant red light jumping!
Macy0161 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 22:50   #42
jjpep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 525
Same in Galway. People rush through after they go red and end up blocking junctions and generally causing chaos.

No enforcement but also we are all too accepting of this behaviour.
jjpep is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 22:51   #43
gimli2112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
The issue with red light cameras is you don't have to stop for them and amber sequences are far too short in most circumstances.

I always watch what's going on around me even if the pedestrian light is green (where applicable). And I constantly encourage my son to do so also. I wont cross a road if i see a car approaching. Even if they'd need to turn onto the road im on and they dont have an indicator on.
you'll generally find they'll flip on the indicator if they think they're going to hit you. Maybe they think it's some kind of immunity switch.
gimli2112 is offline  
18-12-2018, 22:52   #44
Kermit.de.frog
Registered User
 
Kermit.de.frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 8,278
I see drivers now going through red lights every day of the week, not a care in the world.

Agree, no enforcement.
Kermit.de.frog is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-12-2018, 22:57   #45
magicbastarder
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 22,756
the worst junction i know for it is outbound from fairview to clontarf; drivers don't seem to think they've to wait for a green before taking a right onto alfie byrne road - and i'm not talking about gunning it through a couple of seconds after the light has gone red, i mean coming to a stop facing a red, and going 10 or 20s after the light has gone red.
this is 150m from the front door of a garda station.
magicbastarder is online now  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet