Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-12-2018, 14:36   #1
ongarboy

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37637372.html

Just reading this heartbreaking story of a young boy who crossed at the pedestrian lights when the pedestrian man turned green and was knocked down and killed by a motorist with 32 previous convictions including a 3 year ban. Amazingly his family have forgiven the driver which just shows how amazing the human spirit can be.

The reason I'm writing is that I cross the junction of Guild Street and Mayor Street as a pedestrian every day in the IFSC in Dublin and it really angers me the way I see so many cars (mainly those coming from Beckett Bridge/North Wall Quay towards Sherrif St) breaking red lights. This morning, I observed the light going red and not one, not two, not three but 4 cars still proceeded to drive through the junction despite the pedestrian man being green and for which we all had to wait for the cars to pass before proceeding to cross.

I'm seeing this ignoring of red lights by motorists everywhere in Dublin these days. It used to just be amber gambling. Is this an upward trend associated with people's increased sense of impatience or has it always been there? More people will be killed like little Cian as long as this habit is not policed. I acknowledge that cyclists and pedestrians can similarly ignore ROTR but the consequences of a reckless motorist will always be so much worse in these circumstances.
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 15:01   #2
stevek93

About one year ago I was crossing the road the pedestrian man was green for me to walk, while I was crossing a car turned left into my path and the driver proceeded to shout abuse at me I was in his way, he then got out of his car and proceeded to shout more abuse at me.
18-12-2018, 15:10   #3
amcalester

It seems to have gotten much worse, time to introduce red light cameras.

I saw a motorcyclist collide with a truck that ran a red light and turned across the motorcyclist, waited for the Guards to arrive to leave my details/make a statement but they didn't care. Left my name and never heard anything back.

Just today I saw 3 cars that were stopped at a pedestrian crossing all break the red light once the pedestrian had crossed. They got less than 50 up the road before they rejoined the traffic jam so not sure why they bothered.
18-12-2018, 15:20   #4
Toots
Administrator

Something very similar to what's described in the OP happened to me and my son about 4 years ago. By the grace of God, I saw the car coming through the junction and I had a split seconds warning to pull my son back. The driver didn't stop, and it still haunts me how close we may have come to a situation like that poor family.
18-12-2018, 15:25   #5
Macy0161

Well it's pretty endemic on the N11 anyway. Obviously more noticeable when you're stopped at the front of the lights and can see the side road lights and see how many go through clear red, on until you actually have a green light. Worst ones are Whites Cross and Kilmad Road/ Stillorgan Park Road, but pretty much every set everytime I'm stopped you see it. I'm sure the main carriageway is as bad, it's just not as obvious when you're not waiting for green. Another bad one is the right turn at the Beacon inbound on the Drummartin Link Road.

The thing is, better compliance would mean shorter sequence times, so Red Light Cameras (which are the only answer) would probably benefit traffic flow.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 15:27   #6
steamsey

IMO it's worse. Traffic is so bad now all over that people are rushing to get that light and don't mind being pushy or blatantly breaking red lights to save those precious seconds. It's pretty normal now to accelerate through an amber / just gone red light. In general, road manners have disimproved - it's not just red lights that are the problem.
18-12-2018, 15:27   #7
cruizer101

I think it has got worse myself. In town regularly see people activley accelerate through orange and also red lights.
Funny thing is half the time they gain nothing as they are just joining another queue of traffic.
Couple of mobile red light cameras could help solve the issue pretty quickly, once few people get fines word would spread.
Thanks from:
18-12-2018, 15:29   #8
Del2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcalester View Post
It seems to have gotten much worse, time to introduce red light cameras.
Cameras are no good because the person only finds out a few weeks later that they went through a red. Have the Gardaí spend a few days/weeks enforcing something other than exceeding the posted speed limit or DUI and you'll see our driving standards improve. A bolloxing at the side of the road making them late and a fine is better than a letter a few weeks later.

Running reds is getting worse. I was stopped coming from the Square to get onto the N81 and I'd say about 10 cars went through on the red on the main road before a car stopped. It's gotten so bad that I now have to consider is it safe for me to brake when the lights go amber in case the cars behind me won't.

Look at the USA. No one runs lights and they all stop at Stop signs because it's rigidly enforced but everyone DUIs, over here very few DUI but everyone runs lights and ignores signs.
Thanks from:
18-12-2018, 15:32   #9
amcalester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post
Running reds is getting worse. I was stopped coming from the Square to get onto the N81 and I'd say about 10 cars went through on the red on the main road before a car stopped. It's gotten so bad that I now have to consider is it safe for me to brake when the lights go amber in case the cars behind me won't.
Strangely this is where I saw the motorbike hit the truck.
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 15:38   #10
What Username Guidelines

That story is absolutely heartbreaking. Couldn't finish it beyond the part about the parents visiting his grave every night to read him a bedtime story. Jesus.

I think it has gotten far worse in the last 12 months. There are some particular junctions in the city that are worse than others. I cycle into the city (and yes, cyclists do seem to have a bad name for red light jumping, but I don't represent all cyclists) and as OP mentioned, there is a far greater risk to the way cars break lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Obviously more noticeable when you're stopped at the front of the lights and can see the side road lights and see how many go through clear red, on until you actually have a green light
This is a great point. On the bike, I'm always stopped at the top of the queue, so it's far more obvious. In a car you wont see it as much unless you're at the lights, but you will see cyclists and pedestrians breaking lights. Interesting data here too

Red light cameras and stricter enforcement are urgently needed.
18-12-2018, 15:53   #11
Dravokivich

The issue with red light cameras is you don't have to stop for them and amber sequences are far too short in most circumstances.

I always watch what's going on around me even if the pedestrian light is green (where applicable). And I constantly encourage my son to do so also. I wont cross a road if i see a car approaching. Even if they'd need to turn onto the road im on and they dont have an indicator on.
18-12-2018, 16:03   #12
Weepsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
The issue with red light cameras is you don't have to stop for them and amber sequences are far too short in most circumstances.

I always watch what's going on around me even if the pedestrian light is green (where applicable). And I constantly encourage my son to do so also. I wont cross a road if i see a car approaching. Even if they'd need to turn onto the road im on and they dont have an indicator on.

How do you mean? Amber is the one you stop on unless it's unsafe to do so. It doesn't matter a jot how the long the sequence is, as soon as that's amber that means you should be ready to stop unless you really can't.

People keep going however, and treat it like " ah you've a few seconds til you have to stop" and 4-5 cars squeeze on through. In reality, only that first car should ever be in a position that it has to proceed through an amber light because it is close to the stop line.

You stop on amber. Simple as. It's written in very plain english in the Road Traffic Act.

Last edited by Weepsie; 18-12-2018 at 16:07. Reason: Proper Nouns Man!!
18-12-2018, 16:04   #13
greenwaving

I cycle through the city everyday and contrary to popular belief I stop at amber/red lights. I do see several cyclists break the lights daily but the number of cars/heavy trucks/vans doing it is endemic. And it is not vehicles chancing amber lights - it is vehicle after vehicle driving through blatant reds sometimes when pedestrians have already started to cross.

Forget about the guards doing one off campaigns to target it - get the cameras in and hit them with fines every single time they do it as well as with points for repeat offenders. Last week I saw a massive truck sail through a red light on the north quays followed by a van driver when I, with other pedestrians, was almost halfway across the road on a green man. They ignore the red lights and the pedestrians who are almost in their paths putting lives at risk. But I doubt they would be so careless to risk fines or losing their licence through points.
18-12-2018, 16:07   #14
Macy0161

Start dishing out Penalty points from Red Light Cameras and word will soon get out.

When I lived in the UK, they had Red Light Cameras on rotation (like their fixed speeding cameras), and compliance was always better at the ones they were potentially at. iirc you could get done for speeding too, so it also meant zero incentive to floor it to make the lights either.

Gardai enforcement on stuff like this that can be enforced more effectively (no subjectivity at all) by camera's is a complete waste of resources. It's clear cut, it doesn't need someone to observe and decide like other poor behaviours.
18-12-2018, 16:24   #15
ongarboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weepsie View Post
How do you mean? Amber is the one you stop on unless it's unsafe to do so. It doesn't matter a jot how the long the sequence is, as soon as that's amber that means you should be ready to stop unless you really can't.

People keep going however, and treat it like " ah you've a few seconds til you have to stop" and 4-5 cars squeeze on through. In reality, only that first car should ever be in a position that it has to proceed through an amber light because it is close to the stop line.

You stop on amber. Simple as. It's written in very plain english in the Road Traffic Act.
I totally agree with you. I've been beeped at for stopping as the light went from amber to red because I "held up" a driver behind me! That's more of the mindset of these drivers....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion