Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2018, 15:54   #46
howiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
So, how is restricting would be Taxi drivers from driving a normal car help wheelchair users. Is there data available that shows us the optimal number of wheel chair accesible taxis? Maybe that 40% drop was warranted?

Uber had this covered as well by the way.
https://www.uber.com/en-IE/ride/uberwav/
Uber doesn't have this covered since any uberwav you get in Ireland will also be a taxi. But sure let's pretend they are the ones responsible.

If you can't see how making new entrants buy a wheelchair accessible vehicle over a normal vehicle would help wheelchair users then I don't know how to explain it any clearer.

I doubt the NTA would have introduced the restriction or the grant aid to help people buy wheelchair accessible vehicles if they didn't have data to support their policy.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2018, 15:55   #47
MJohnston

Quote:
Yes, we are so concerned with unfair competition, you have no problem or comment to make on unfair regulation with makes the entire industry unfair from the get go. Funny that.

An assumption does not make it true or correct.

The cost barrier is just that, a barrier. It is well known that for years, Dublin gangs used taxi's to launder their drug money. Having no barrier or a reasonable barrier of say €100 to cover administration, would just be as safe as a barrier of €100,000. Remember the pre-deregulation days of the 90's. Taxi drivers gave us that yarn as well, stating that people wouldn't use these newer taxi drivers as they would be 'all sorts of people' (a sly dig of non nationals, Irish Taxi drivers are quite racist in my experience). The issue should be centered about proper background checks, not stupid random fees on who can afford to be a taxi driver.

Ireland is a small market, hence why Uber probably could not have been bothered to come here earlier. Ireland also deregulated the taxi industry many years ago, so although the €6,300 fee is stupid and unwarranted it is not as bad as those elsewhere like in NY, or London or Sydney, where a taxi licences costs up to $500,000. These were the markets that Uber wanted to crack and crack they did.

However, my main point was that innovation originated by the likes of Uber, Lyft and developers in myTaxi/Halio. The Irish taxi industry just piggy backed on this.

Put it another way, was the NTA or the Irish Taxi Federation or whomever they are called involved back in 2009 or 2010 in developing an app like myTaxi or Halio?

Fine, but don't give them credit for innovating in their industry when it was forced on them by the PD's in the 2000 and spoon feed to them by the tech revolution.

Manner of the old heads are still crying about it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...case-1.2506103
You're just moving the goalposts on every single point here. I'll leave to argue with yourself, as I smell some vested interests/bitterness here that I can't be arsed with.
06-01-2018, 16:10   #48
end of the road

Quote:
Do you have a source for this? I can understand a certain % but all? No taxi industry in the world has this requirement as far as I know.
i said it's likely to become mandatory. not that it will definitely be come mandatory.

Quote:
Yes, €170 is fine, until you realise you need a wheelchair accesable car to avail of it. Which would be €20,000 min.
yeah it's a non-issue. the fee is low as an incentive to buy a wheelchair accessible car. a good car suitable for a high quality taxi is going to cost around 15-20000 euro anyway so you may as well buy a wheelchair accessible one and be fully accessible and future proof. any taxi driver is going to have to buy a car anyway whether it's replacing their old taxi or buying a car specially for taxiing in the first place as they are starting out.
06-01-2018, 16:12   #49
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebob View Post
Just back from London where I used Airbnb and Uber with great success......Uber was half the price of a taxi and there seemed to be one around every corner ..everyone loves them ..I know there's an argument about regulation of drivers but there's a lot of dodgy taxi drivers too just read the papers ...the drivers were polite ..spotless cars..and they don't tap on..
I used them to Malaysia, 3 people 6km 25c. It’s business model is s race to the bottom. Half the price of taxis , with similar overheads and about 30% of the fate going to UBER. There is no way a driver could support a family.
06-01-2018, 16:24   #50
markodaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
i said it's likely to become mandatory. not that it will definitely be come mandatory.
So, you just made that up then. OK

Quote:
yeah it's a non-issue. the fee is low as an incentive to buy a wheelchair accessible car. a good car suitable for a high quality taxi is going to cost around 15-20000 euro anyway so you may as well buy a wheelchair accessible one and be fully accessible and future proof. any taxi driver is going to have to buy a car anyway whether it's replacing their old taxi or buying a car specially for taxiing in the first place as they are starting out.
A wheelchair accessable taxi, €35,000 please
http://www.freedommobility.ie/viewan...?ad_id=1852433

Yea, its a non issue of course. Claiming that anyone can become a taxi driver for €170, when you have to fork out €35,000 in capital to avail of it.
What is your next point of economic wisdom? Claiming we already pay for water?
Advertisement
06-01-2018, 16:26   #51
markodaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiya View Post
Uber doesn't have this covered since any uberwav you get in Ireland will also be a taxi. But sure let's pretend they are the ones responsible.

If you can't see how making new entrants buy a wheelchair accessible vehicle over a normal vehicle would help wheelchair users then I don't know how to explain it any clearer.

I doubt the NTA would have introduced the restriction or the grant aid to help people buy wheelchair accessible vehicles if they didn't have data to support their policy.
You give too much credence to the NTA then. The NTA are a public body, would they not release this data or maybe they have no data to begin with.
06-01-2018, 16:31   #52
howiya

Quote:

Yea, its a non issue of course. Claiming that anyone can become a taxi driver for €170, when you have to fork out €35,000 in capital to avail of it.
So now you've gone from €20,000 to €35,000...

Throw wheelchair accessible into a search on the likes of carzone and you don't have to spend that much money

https://www.carzone.ie/search/result...2520accessible

You also conveniently ignore the fact you can get up to €10k grant aid towards your wheelchair accessible vehicle
(3) thanks from:
06-01-2018, 16:39   #53
howiya

Quote:
You give too much credence to the NTA then. The NTA are a public body, would they not release this data or maybe they have no data to begin with.
As they are a public body you can send them a FOI request if you want the data.

How would they not have data? They licence each taxi, so they know whether a vehicle is wheelchair accessible or not. They know how many taxis are licensed. Simple percentage calculation.

Then there's this survey we do called a census which tells public bodies information about the country's population.

I don't think I'm giving the NTA too much credence at all. It's not rocket science.
Thanks from:
06-01-2018, 16:47   #54
end of the road

Quote:

wo, wo, wo. hold on there a second. a few minutes ago it was 20000. now it's 35000, talk about shifting the goalposts when you got caught out.
the fact is, buying a good car is going to cost, a taxi is an investment for those who are serious about entering the industry. so if you are going to have to buy a good car, it may as well be a wheelchair accessible one, as it's going to cost the same as a number of other top brands. so it's a non-issue.
and yes we do pay for water via general taxation.
Advertisement
06-01-2018, 16:52   #55
MJohnston

Talking of the cost of vehicles - do Uber drivers not have to buy them too?
(5) thanks from:
06-01-2018, 18:41   #56
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Do you have a source for this? I can understand a certain % but all? No taxi industry in the world has this requirement as far as I know.
All Small Public Hire Vehicles in the UK must be wheelchair assessable. Private Hire however aren't.
Thanks from:
06-01-2018, 18:43   #57
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes View Post
Uber insure the trips. You are spreading a myth. Even if they didn't I'd have no problem with a law requiring them to insure the trip.
Unless Uber is checking that their drivers and their cars are certified to operate as PSV's then such insurance will be null and void in Ireland.
Thanks from:
06-01-2018, 19:08   #58
Phil.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilescraneo View Post
Yes, Dublin needs MORE cars on the roads. That will solve our traffic and shoddy public transport problems!
Yes well we're back to the days of long walks or long waits for taxis at the weekend, so bring it on I say.

And it's not just the weekend, the company I work for were told by the taxi company they use it's very hard to guarantee a cab Mon-Fri, so give hour's if not days notice, there's just too much work on the street they were told.

Last edited by Phil.x; 06-01-2018 at 19:13.
Thanks from:
07-01-2018, 00:40   #59
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
so how are you covered for the rest of the time?, not working etc because your insurance policy won't cover you full stop if you are at any point using the vehicle for reward...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losty Dublin View Post
Unless Uber is checking that their drivers and their cars are certified to operate as PSV's then such insurance will be null and void in Ireland.
Under the current framework, but we are suggesting it should be changed. Also Many of us have no problem with requiring licensing (albeit I don't know what good it does) but such license should not have unreasonable barriers to entry.

Under a framework like that you could require uber have insurance covering the trips (if the driver's insurance doesn't).
07-01-2018, 01:08   #60
DaCor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.x View Post
And it's not just the weekend, the company I work for were told by the taxi company they use it's very hard to guarantee a cab Mon-Fri, so give hour's if not days notice, there's just too much work on the street they were told.
Your company would be well advised to switch taxi providers then.

A regular fare, that's the one that pays the mortgage

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion