Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2019, 11:31   #346
markodaly

Uber style scheme would put users at risk of MURDER!!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...er-907639.html

Yeap, no scaremongering here from the The National Private Hire Taxi Association (NPHTA).
As a nation, we are a joke sometimes with this overly emotional outlook.

Ironically, it is well known that in Dublin criminal gangs owned and operated many Taxies as a front for money laundering and extortion. Not only that but many an ex-criminal drive taxis.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 12:05   #347
makeorbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
Uber style scheme would put users at risk of MURDER!!
What a very progressive line for them to take!

In recent weeks, I've moved from using Uber to INdriver. INdriver puts a different twist on car pooling - with customers having the ability to offer an amount for a fare. The drivers come back in real time and either match that price or counter-offer. It's a very interesting approach and one that's going to disrupt the disrupter.

Whilst I love the innovation that Uber has brought, their market dominance is letting them get away with murder (the only murder that's involved here!). Here, they're taking up to 30% from the driver. I don't think its reasonable for this to go above 20%.

With INdriver, I'm getting better fares - whilst the driver is getting a better deal also. Furthermore, I get to see what car the driver has and can select a car on that basis.
15-03-2019, 12:50   #348
Hurrache

I was away for a while working, arrived in the airport at my destination, downloaded the app and set up my account there and then. It was brilliant and used it a few times daily. Not all cars were the latest and greatest but they were all clean and comfortable, most had the likes of wet wipes/tissues etc for you to use, as well as a variety of charging cables to plug into. This was in America in fairness where they have a different take on the service industry which I don't think will translate as well over there, but it's a good model.

I was a regular user of Hailo before the rebranding and it turned to ****e.
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 17:54   #349
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeorbrake View Post
What a very progressive line for them to take!

In recent weeks, I've moved from using Uber to INdriver. INdriver puts a different twist on car pooling - with customers having the ability to offer an amount for a fare. The drivers come back in real time and either match that price or counter-offer. It's a very interesting approach and one that's going to disrupt the disrupter.

Whilst I love the innovation that Uber has brought, their market dominance is letting them get away with murder (the only murder that's involved here!). Here, they're taking up to 30% from the driver. I don't think its reasonable for this to go above 20%.

With INdriver, I'm getting better fares - whilst the driver is getting a better deal also. Furthermore, I get to see what car the driver has and can select a car on that basis.
Doesn't seem to be downloadable in Ireland, probably because of Ireland's metered fare policy, you pay only up to the maximum metered fare, if you bid and offer a lower than metered fare you must still run the meter and charge the agreed fare.
16-03-2019, 09:53   #350
makeorbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
Doesn't seem to be downloadable in Ireland, probably because of Ireland's metered fare policy, you pay only up to the maximum metered fare, if you bid and offer a lower than metered fare you must still run the meter and charge the agreed fare.
Sorry, should have clarified - I'm using this overseas. It's available for use in 18 countries.

The difference I'm finding with inDriver is that there's more likely to be drivers that just switch it on as they happen to be driving a certain direction. A few of them have confirmed as much to me.
Advertisement
16-03-2019, 11:46   #351
n97 mini

I used Uber extensively in the US in 2016 but in the intervening years Lyft had arrived and I found that in some cities by 2018 Lyft cars outnumbered Uber 4 to 1. So it doesn't really have a monopoly.

I've used it extensively in NI and Britain too. As mentioned above it can be a lot easier to get an Uber than a taxi, e.g. outside Manchester Piccadilly there can be long queues for taxis. Obviously there is no queue for Uber. Cheaper too.

Are Hackney licences still a thing? They seem to be available from doing a quick google, but I haven't seen one in years. I'd have thought they'd be compatible with UberX.

Last edited by n97 mini; 16-03-2019 at 12:46.
16-03-2019, 18:51   #352
makeorbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
I used Uber extensively in the US in 2016 but in the intervening years Lyft had arrived and I found that in some cities by 2018 Lyft cars outnumbered Uber 4 to 1. So it doesn't really have a monopoly.
I get your point but I guess it depends on the market you're in. Where I'm located these days, there's no competition...but inDriver is making ground up fast...i have not used anything else since I found it. Uber takes 30% off drivers here and also plays games on the customer end with their algorithm. I really love the innovation but I never like to see anyone market dominant and gouging.
16-03-2019, 19:00   #353
Losty Dublin

Quote:

I've used it extensively in NI and Britain too. As mentioned above it can be a lot easier to get an Uber than a taxi, e.g. outside Manchester Piccadilly there can be long queues for taxis. Obviously there is no queue for Uber. Cheaper too.

Are Hackney licences still a thing? They seem to be available from doing a quick google, but I haven't seen one in years. I'd have thought they'd be compatible with UberX.
There ares still Hackney's, yes. Rare in the cities and older metered areas as taxi plates were generally available and better for work and what passengers were used to seeing, more common in taxi-less towns and in rural areas.

Hackneys can use ÜberX in Ireland but they and their drivers still need to be licensed as per Irish Laws and adhere to agreed fares when booked or hired.
Thanks from:
17-03-2019, 00:42   #354
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losty Dublin View Post
There ares still Hackney's, yes. Rare in the cities and older metered areas as taxi plates were generally available and better for work and what passengers were used to seeing, more common in taxi-less towns and in rural areas.

Hackneys can use ÜberX in Ireland but they and their drivers still need to be licensed as per Irish Laws and adhere to agreed fares when booked or hired.
So the fares could be based on what UberX estimates. That's curious. Why are the likes of Clare Co Council considering introducing and "Uber like" system when it sounds like Uber+hackneys could fill that gap.
https://drcd.gov.ie/rural-uber-type-...minister-ring/

I've several rural based friends who had hackneys years ago, but now there are none. Indeed where I live in Leixlip, about 15 years ago there were three cab companies, predominantly served by hackneys. Now there's only one firm and the drivers are all taxis.
Advertisement
17-03-2019, 16:14   #355
Losty Dublin

Quote:
So the fares could be based on what UberX estimates. That's curious. Why are the likes of Clare Co Council considering introducing and "Uber like" system when it sounds like Uber+hackneys could fill that gap.
https://drcd.gov.ie/rural-uber-type-...minister-ring/

I've several rural based friends who had hackneys years ago, but now there are none. Indeed where I live in Leixlip, about 15 years ago there were three cab companies, predominantly served by hackneys. Now there's only one firm and the drivers are all taxis.
Over time many hackney plate owners moved towards using taxi's for the benefit of working from a street or rank. Others got out of the business over the last decade when insurance quotes skyrocketed and cab regulations tightened up. There are places in Ireland where hackneys dominate the cab market. Often they run as 8 seater cabs or mini buses with passengers sharing the fare for a longer run, with booking taken by phone or word of mouth instead of a central despatch.

There is a scheme for limited local hackney licences in place; perhaps this is what you have heard off in Clare?

There is nothing to stop Uber from running a hackney service itself in Ireland once it is registered as a Despatch Operator and the cabs are licensed Hackney or Limo's and driven by licensed drivers. Bar a shortage of hackneys, that is.
Thanks from:
17-03-2019, 18:06   #356
n97 mini

The rural licences, even though cheaper, have been a failure. Only 14 in the whole country as of mid 2016 according to the IT. Probably even less now as 18 licences were originally issued.

I wonder what's stopping Uber registering as a dispatch operator.

The Clare Uber thing is newer. Check the link in my post above.
17-03-2019, 22:14   #357
Losty Dublin

Quote:
The rural licences, even though cheaper, have been a failure. Only 14 in the whole country as of mid 2016 according to the IT. Probably even less now as 18 licences were originally issued.

I wonder what's stopping Uber registering as a dispatch operator.

The Clare Uber thing is newer. Check the link in my post above.
Uber are registered as a Dispatch Operator.
Thanks from:
10-05-2019, 22:34   #358
magicbastarder

interesting analysis give that uber's IPO didn't go as well as they'd hoped. note - this is from about half a year ago.

https://twitter.com/juliangough/stat...55901854429186
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion