Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-12-2011, 13:01   #46
Commuter109

heard people giving out the other morning that the new 7.05 express route that was working well thus far has deviatated up a blanch slip road in the morning (again I think for the sake or one or maybe two people) and this is having a knock on effect on those trying to get into town and the green?

anyone know whats happening?

Tks
Advertisement
05-12-2011, 13:36   #47
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter109 View Post
heard people giving out the other morning that the new 7.05 express route that was working well thus far has deviatated up a blanch slip road in the morning (again I think for the sake or one or maybe two people) and this is having a knock on effect on those trying to get into town and the green?

anyone know whats happening?

Tks
More than likely one of those few individuals mentioned has managed to get the mobile number of the area inspector and made a personal plea to which the Inspector has responded.

Thus,rather than maintain the principle of "Greater Good" the Inspector will default to the easier option of a slap-on-the-back and the "He's a great fellah altogether" approach.

The private sector tend to be somewhat more robust when addressing these type of Mé Féin pleas....but Both of the CIE Road Passenger entities tend to cut n run in the face of a persistent individual...it's just easier that way....
Thanks from:
05-12-2011, 17:33   #48
LXFlyer

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=251

Quote:
Route 109, Dublin/Navan/Kells/Virginia/Cavan

Customers please note that from Monday, 12 December 2011 to Sunday, 8 January 2012 inclusive, services on Bus Éireann route 109 will not serve the stops within Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. Instead customers travelling to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre will be set down at the current bus stop located beside the inbound Slip road. Customers travelling from Blanchardstown Shopping Centre will be picked up at the current bus stop located on the Blanchardstown Slip road.

This arrangement is to eliminate any potential for delays due to traffic congestion during the busy Christmas shopping period. Bus Éireann regrets any inconvenience this may cause customers.

updated 5 December 2011
That should allay some of the fears expressed on this forum.
Thanks from:
05-12-2011, 17:41   #49
irish_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxflyer View Post

That's great news. It was such a disaster going through blanch village at the best of times.
05-12-2011, 19:10   #50
Vic_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxflyer View Post

That's great news. It was such a disaster going through blanch village at the best of times.
It should be knocked on the head for good, it is a joke that a long distance bus to Cavan has to waste 15 minutes going in circles around a retail park when even some of the local city buses are now avoiding it.

Now something needs doing about the outbound route as cabra/Navan rd is getting unbearable from late afternoon onwards.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-12-2011, 20:45   #51
Commuter109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_08 View Post
It should be knocked on the head for good, it is a joke that a long distance bus to Cavan has to waste 15 minutes going in circles around a retail park when even some of the local city buses are now avoiding it.

Now something needs doing about the outbound route as cabra/Navan rd is getting unbearable from late afternoon onwards.

Absolutely agreed, I've said it in previous posts. The number of people getting on at the stops outside of Bus Aras is minimal, I've seen instances in the last few weeks where not a sinner is getting on at Phibsborough, Cabra or Ashtown. Yet the vast majority of commuters are paying the price in terms of longer journey time home.
05-12-2011, 20:58   #52
tom23

ten steps forward, 25 steps backwards. What part of Express does Bus Eireann not understand? Why should 40 odd passengers have to endure the 4-5 mins of the 'Express' Bus going up the inbound Blanchardsdstown slip road so 1 person yes one person gets off? This express was working flawlessly up till last week, so the 'one' person can get of... so while everyone else pays full whack on a ten journey ticket, our one passenger who gets off at Blanchardstown can get that extra bit of TLC with a cheaper ticket and the greater good will suffer. As I was saying this service was going brilliant but it was to good to last. back now to getting the twenty past six because really it is less stress and I give myself a window of 30 mins to be early.

So I spend an average 100 mins journey home to Navan and the one good service thats provided gets to go though one of the busiest roundabouts in Blanch so the 'One' passenger can get of. Christ Bus Eireann do NOT MAKE SENSE.
Thanks from:
05-12-2011, 22:42   #53
Geog1234

A need for a 109X and position on Blanchardstown slip road.

Regarding Blanchardstown slip road the hard shoulder of the dual carriageway adjacent to the slip road, which had been used informally as the drop-off point for years, is no longer the "stop" and this has been the case since May when all buses inbound to the city are required to divert up the slip road at Blanchardstown and drop at the Dublin Bus stop (if there are passengers onboard wishing to alight). This stop is mentioned as the drop-off point in the 109 timetable PDF. This is not something at the discretion of individual staff but the only allowable stopping place and, from a safety perspective, seems quite valid. On the few odd occasions I've alighted here (am not a regular user of the stop) trekking from the informal drop-off point on the hard shoulder up the verge of the slip road was at times like trekking through a muddy field so dropping people at a proper stop with a footpath makes a lot more sense if public transport usage is to be encouraged and also from a safety and legal perspective.

But clearly, at the very minimum a few peak-time journeys each way need to be formally designated as Expressway per se and not picking-up/dropping off at all between Navan Square and O'Connell St. Perhaps marked as 109X in the timetable. At present there is no official Express journey on Route 109.

Drivers of such journeys would need to clarify that all passengers were going to O'Connell St. (or further) by an announcement prior to departure from Navan Square.
06-12-2011, 00:07   #54
tom23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geog1234 View Post
Regarding Blanchardstown slip road the hard shoulder of the dual carriageway adjacent to the slip road, which had been used informally as the drop-off point for years, is no longer the "stop" and this has been the case since May when all buses inbound to the city are required to divert up the slip road at Blanchardstown and drop at the Dublin Bus stop (if there are passengers onboard wishing to alight). This stop is mentioned as the drop-off point in the 109 timetable PDF. This is not something at the discretion of individual staff but the only allowable stopping place and, from a safety perspective, seems quite valid. On the few odd occasions I've alighted here (am not a regular user of the stop) trekking from the informal drop-off point on the hard shoulder up the verge of the slip road was at times like trekking through a muddy field so dropping people at a proper stop with a footpath makes a lot more sense if public transport usage is to be encouraged and also from a safety and legal perspective.

But clearly, at the very minimum a few peak-time journeys each way need to be formally designated as Expressway per se and not picking-up/dropping off at all between Navan Square and O'Connell St. Perhaps marked as 109X in the timetable. At present there is no official Express journey on Route 109.

Drivers of such journeys would need to clarify that all passengers were going to O'Connell St. (or further) by an announcement prior to departure from Navan Square.
Totally agree on there been a 109x. There gas thing about this is that they would fill it to the roof if they marketed it and explained it to passengers. Every morning I hear people asking is this the M3 express? But the point you make the its not really an express because it will stop when ever a request is made. Its a pain because most people are going to City Centre.

As for the bus going inbound to city going to the slip road, this has happened only since Thursday.

But a designated 109x would be ideal, no fantastic. I can't see it happneing, though I wonder would a lobby group of passengers using this service be interested in getting this going.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 23:49   #55
tara83

Totally agree. Express buses are required at peak times. Even an express which uses the Port tunnel route to Dunshaughlin & Navan would have both sets of commuters home earlier. Since all the additions the bus is progressively getting worse
07-12-2011, 12:20   #56
crank_1975

Does anyone know what is going on that is making the journey from Busaras to the M50 so long? I've been getting this bus for six years and in the last month it is taking at least 30 minutes longer than it used to. Is it the new Tesco in Cabra?

As previously mentioned, some of the buses should be going through the port tunnel, even one an hour would make a huge difference.
07-12-2011, 14:03   #57
Commuter109

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank_1975 View Post
Does anyone know what is going on that is making the journey from Busaras to the M50 so long? I've been getting this bus for six years and in the last month it is taking at least 30 minutes longer than it used to. Is it the new Tesco in Cabra?

As previously mentioned, some of the buses should be going through the port tunnel, even one an hour would make a huge difference.
Absolutely, to the best of my knowledge, the 109 has always gone the Cabra / Phibsborough route, and it's always been a pain in the neck for the vast majority.

My only experience of the port tunnel was last year when the works in the phoenix park caused chaos on that side of town so somebody in BE had the good sense start using the port tunnel and my recollection is that you were in Blanch in circa 25 minutes/ half an hour. (that coupled with the M3 could now leave travel times from Bus Aras to Navan at about an hour I'd say which would be great)

(That said a bit of common sense dictates that on evenings where there is something on in the 02 the Cabra route may be as quick, but that is hardly realtime information, all big gigs etc.. are advertised well in advance)

Why they didn't stick with it I don’t know, I can only assume that, the vast majority (me included!!) who it suited didn't commend them on it and the few that it didn't suit kicked up stink so BE reverted to the old route as it was the easy option for them.

Agree with the r109x too, how hard can it be to put a big X after 109?

Tom's comments have merit; everybody is probably complaining here individually as opposed to a concerted effort to waken BE up to the realities of life as a commuter and the wastage in terms of commuting time for the majority on a prime route.

Might be an idea if people mail their concerns to BE and copy and paste the replies here (obviously email addresses etc.. can be deleted to preserve anonymity )

I think it's that kind of action that led them to reconsider and hopefully amend the Clonee debacle. This happened as far I know because fair few people had emailed BE and generally complained about it.
07-12-2011, 16:57   #58
thomasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank_1975 View Post

Traffic is always bad outbound in the evening. There is no outbound bus lanes on the old and new cabra road or the navan road as far as the halfway house so bus passengers are noticing this as well as car traffic.

The phoenix park disruption is ongoing as well so thats a factor as well
08-12-2011, 21:19   #59
tara83

For the past 2 days it has taken over 1 1/2hrs to get from Bus Aras to Dunshaughlin. Yesterday I was on the 17.15 bus and on route we picked up no one at any of the stops and today on the 16.45 bus we picked up 3 people in total. I don't understand why they don't have express buses which take the Port Tunnel and less regular buses via the Navan Road. This is without a doubt the worst year for travel times.

I regularly email Bus Eireann but some of the responses have been laughable. The customer service level is very poor
09-12-2011, 09:35   #60
Commuter109

I regularly email Bus Eireann but some of the responses have been laughable. The customer service level is very poor[/QUOTE]

I've had responses verging on insulting, but when I’ve when I’ve pointed out the inadequacy of the response, (which is usually a copy and paste from some announcement that's already on the website followed by a "thank you for contacting us, customer's views are important" blurb) in a reply, cc ing management and asking for the relevant contact details in the NTA if BE can’t be ars*d answering the question, I have found that their subsequent reply is a lot more considered!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion