Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-10-2011, 10:40   #16
Commuter109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex70 View Post
Complete disaster this morning 40 minutes late, anybody with same issues. BE customer services could not explain the changes.

No,but I had an issue yesterday evening, worked later than usual to get what I thought was to be a 6.30 express via m3 to Navan according to the new timetable. Got there there were two buses, one for Cavan, and one serving Navan using the same route via Clonee, Dunslaughlin etc.. jumped on the Navan bus asked the driver where the express service was and despite being polite he was none the wiser, to paraphrase him said he didnt know what was happening with the new time table, and they were in the process of making even further changes again.

Was there a 5.30 express as per the timetable does anybody know????

No point in emailing Bus Eireann, I have done it twice re the new timetable with legitimate questiions and after a reminder to response to me they simply copy and paste the announcement on the website, thank me for contacting them and dont actually attempt to answer and query raised.

Scandalously really.
Commuter109 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-10-2011, 10:55   #17
tom23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter109 View Post
No,but I had an issue yesterday evening, worked later than usual to get what I thought was to be a 6.30 express via m3 to Navan according to the new timetable. Got there there were two buses, one for Cavan, and one serving Navan using the same route via Clonee, Dunslaughlin etc.. jumped on the Navan bus asked the driver where the express service was and despite being polite he was none the wiser, to paraphrase him said he didnt know what was happening with the new time table, and they were in the process of making even further changes again.

Was there a 5.30 express as per the timetable does anybody know????

No point in emailing Bus Eireann, I have done it twice re the new timetable with legitimate questiions and after a reminder to response to me they simply copy and paste the announcement on the website, thank me for contacting them and dont actually attempt to answer and query raised.

Scandalously really.
I have similar experience asking drivers / inspectors, no one seems to have any in-depth knowledge of the new time table, asked a guy giving out leaflets in Bus Aras, sorry I don't know he said, call customer service, I did and they did not know either, am not exaggerating! I work in a call centre and if we answered questions liked that you would be gone.

7.05 works, gets me into the green on time. Thank you. But I wish BE staff where more informed as it makes huge difference.
tom23 is offline  
25-10-2011, 16:05   #18
crank_1975
Registered User
 
crank_1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 162
How exactly were we notified of this? If I hadn't checked Boards I would have never known about these changes. I missed the 5.10Pm bus from Wilton Terrace yesterday and I assumed it had left early (as it did this regularly). Little did I know that it will be leaving early every day (@ 5PM) from now on. Would it not make sense for notices to be put up on the actual buses where we might notice them (pardon the pun)? Of course things that make sense and BE are never seen together.

I also caught the M3 express from Kells at 7am this morning and it went to UCD but according to timetable this should only go to Busaras? Pity as this was great for getting me into work in the morning.

I see that the online discount has gone down to 5% from 10% as well, bah humbug....
crank_1975 is offline  
25-10-2011, 16:36   #19
Vic_08
Registered User
 
Vic_08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom23 View Post
Got the 07.05 Express both mornings and was pretty pleased. Plenty of seats getting on at the Ardboyne. Though coming home on the 4:15 timetable says it does not serve Dunboyne but we went through Clonee and the Sheef of Wheat Dunboyne. Can't understand that, I asked the Bus driver and he did not know. I rang BE customer service and got no where, have lost faith in that service as I had previously sent an email asking specific questions and got the web story cut and pasted in a reply.

Regardless the express works and is better than nothing.

The 4.15 as well as all other services go via Clonee (pick-up only) and Bracetown/sheaf of wheat (PU/SD) except the 09.30, 10.30, 11.30, 12.30, 13.30, 14.30, 15.30 to Cavan (first stop Navan), 16.30, 17.30, 18.30 to Cavan (first stop Kells), 17.30, 18.30 to Navan only.

The line for Dunboyne in the timetable is there for the 2 services a day that serve Dunboyne town (08.00, 10.00 ex Dublin, 15.15, 17.15 ex Kells)

I fully understand the irritation felt by regular commuters that dislike the diversion off the motorway at Clonee. This is to serve the stop at Bracetown, not Clonee and from what I have heard it was kept on the 109 after the M3 opened due to some lobbying. It is pointless, I would be surprised if more than 10 people a day use this stop and the hourly 105 would be more than adequate for the numbers using it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tom23 View Post
I have similar experience asking drivers / inspectors, no one seems to have any in-depth knowledge of the new time table,
That is because they don't. At best all any driver will have is a copy of the published timetable and a list of the specific duties he will need to operate across his roster which in the case of a route like the 109 will be only a fraction of the duties scheduled.

The inspectors should have a bit more of a clue as they ought to have access to a full rota detailing which driver and bus is supposed to do each service although I wouldn't guarantee that they have been made available to them either.

It all boils down to management who point blank refuse to consult with and properly inform operational staff about changes. All that ever happens is a bit of to and fro with the unions AFTER the changes have been decided but that is more down to altering shifts and pay related changes than actual timetables.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tom23 View Post
I work in a call centre and if we answered questions liked that you would be gone.

But presumably your management make some effort to ensure you have the correct information to give to your customers? Ours simply do not.

As an example, on occasion passengers will ask me for details on how to get to places beyond the route/s that I drive. At present I have no way to confidently answer such a question. All I have is a 15 month old network timetable that is so out of date now with all the cancellations and alterations in the last 2 years that any info I give out from it may well be wrong anyway. That timetable was not even issued to me, I grabbed it one day when I saw a box of them hidden away in an office. a lot of drivers don't even have one of them and there is no chance of getting an updated one as they have decided not to print them this year to save money.


All I can say to passengers who find the timetable and service lacking is to contact senior management and complain directly, complaining to drivers or even inspectors is useless as we are not the ones writing the timetables and have no power to do anything about your problems.
Vic_08 is offline  
Thanks from:
26-10-2011, 22:54   #20
tom23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_08 View Post
The 4.15 as well as all other services go via Clonee (pick-up only) and Bracetown/sheaf of wheat (PU/SD) except the 09.30, 10.30, 11.30, 12.30, 13.30, 14.30, 15.30 to Cavan (first stop Navan), 16.30, 17.30, 18.30 to Cavan (first stop Kells), 17.30, 18.30 to Navan only.

The line for Dunboyne in the timetable is there for the 2 services a day that serve Dunboyne town (08.00, 10.00 ex Dublin, 15.15, 17.15 ex Kells)

I fully understand the irritation felt by regular commuters that dislike the diversion off the motorway at Clonee. This is to serve the stop at Bracetown, not Clonee and from what I have heard it was kept on the 109 after the M3 opened due to some lobbying. It is pointless, I would be surprised if more than 10 people a day use this stop and the hourly 105 would be more than adequate for the numbers using it.





That is because they don't. At best all any driver will have is a copy of the published timetable and a list of the specific duties he will need to operate across his roster which in the case of a route like the 109 will be only a fraction of the duties scheduled.

The inspectors should have a bit more of a clue as they ought to have access to a full rota detailing which driver and bus is supposed to do each service although I wouldn't guarantee that they have been made available to them either.

It all boils down to management who point blank refuse to consult with and properly inform operational staff about changes. All that ever happens is a bit of to and fro with the unions AFTER the changes have been decided but that is more down to altering shifts and pay related changes than actual timetables.





But presumably your management make some effort to ensure you have the correct information to give to your customers? Ours simply do not.

As an example, on occasion passengers will ask me for details on how to get to places beyond the route/s that I drive. At present I have no way to confidently answer such a question. All I have is a 15 month old network timetable that is so out of date now with all the cancellations and alterations in the last 2 years that any info I give out from it may well be wrong anyway. That timetable was not even issued to me, I grabbed it one day when I saw a box of them hidden away in an office. a lot of drivers don't even have one of them and there is no chance of getting an updated one as they have decided not to print them this year to save money.


All I can say to passengers who find the timetable and service lacking is to contact senior management and complain directly, complaining to drivers or even inspectors is useless as we are not the ones writing the timetables and have no power to do anything about your problems.

Thanks for the reply. Will take your advice and will email BE Senior Management, though I doubht I will get a reply.
tom23 is offline  
Advertisement
01-11-2011, 12:06   #21
Kutebride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 218
Found 109 post to moan ha!

........and of this a.m. to park your car in ardboyne hotel cu$@k fecker is charging THREE EURO. I have walked to my stop for 6 years but of course the year I have to drop child to my minder the hotel charge. back to train from dunboyne for me.

As for timetables: new timetable 0735 says terminates at Bus Aras. This peed me off as its the earliest bus I can get nowadays so anyway I was on the 0735 and lo and behold it goest to the green, phew

I am not aware of any bus going from Navan on the M3 only stopping in Dublin. Please advise where on timetable it notes this, not that I cant get anything before 0730
Kutebride is online now  
01-11-2011, 14:15   #22
Commuter109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 211
"I fully understand the irritation felt by regular commuters that dislike the diversion off the motorway at Clonee. This is to serve the stop at Bracetown, not Clonee and from what I have heard it was kept on the 109 after the M3 opened due to some lobbying. It is pointless, I would be surprised if more than 10 people a day use this stop and the hourly 105 would be more than adequate for the numbers using it."

I thought as much there is no logical way that one could justify this stop vis a via the numbers that use it. Take the peak times buses, (save those that are using the M3 in its entirety). I've only seen possibly one person get on at Bracetown in the last number of months. On the way home the numbers vary between zero and two on a very busy day for that stop.

How could anybody justify taking the 40 or 50 people via Clonee etc.. and adding maybe 10 minutes to their journey, to appease one or two commuters??

If lobbying got it put there in the first place then, lobbying (and lets face it it affects 99% of commuters on that route) should be used to attempt to stop this farce of buses having to go around the country and travel at 40 kMPH through a village to appease a tiny minority on what is possibly one of the busiest routes in the country when there is a perfectly good one billion euro, 120kmph motorway adjacent to it.

I would encourage people to use the Bus Eireann Facebook site or email them (not that they ever respond) and report their progress here.

Still none the wiser about the purported "express buses" from Bus Aras, to Navan in the evening i.e a 5.30 and 6.30. Went to get a 6.30 on Thursay, same old story, inspectors told me that they had no idea what was going on as management were telling them nothing.

They pointed out a 109 and said that "he should be using the M3 but don't quote us on that" Off course the bus filled up and we went the old way, I asked the driver in Navan what was the story with this supposed M3 bus at 6.30 and he answered " don't ask me, I wouldnt know, you'll have to ask them above in the Busaras."

I have emailed bus Eireann off course and have had the same experience as commuters above, i.e they dont answer or if pushed, give you a generic copy and paste of the website that doesnt answer your question.!!

The 7.05 express from Navan in the morning seems to be working well in fairness, has anybody got a straight answer or know what the hell is happening with the buses that according to the new timetable use the m3 on the way home, i.e the 5.30 and 6.30

And if that Bracetown stop is adding to your journey, do something about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tks
Commuter109 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
03-11-2011, 13:04   #23
NufcNavan
Registered User
 
NufcNavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,682
Really is stupid the way the buses now go through both Blanch AND Clonee. Adds way too much time to the journey.
NufcNavan is offline  
03-11-2011, 13:42   #24
crank_1975
Registered User
 
crank_1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 162
This service has disimproved dramatically. They have taken a number of double decker buses off the route and replaced them with the old single deckers (I was on one on Wednesday which said Bus Scoile on it!!).

There used to be a bus that left Wilton Terrace at 5PM and went to Kells via Busaras and the M3 and would get into Kells about 6.50PM. It now leaves at 5PM and for the last three days has got to Kells at about 7.15PM, its the same route etc but is now taking 35 minutes longer???

I thought that this was the busiest route that Bus Eireann run? Surely the service should be better.
crank_1975 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-11-2011, 14:07   #25
Commuter109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NufcNavan View Post
Really is stupid the way the buses now go through both Blanch AND Clonee. Adds way too much time to the journey.

Yep, absolutely, was on the 6.30 to Navan yesterday evening, and the number that gone on/off the bus were as follows:

Blanch stop No 1 - zero
Blanch Stop No 2 - zero
Bracetown/ Damastown - zero



It really is time that Bus Eireann started thinking about the majority as opposed to the small minority on this route.

The same goes for using the Cabra Road route. Your average bus at peak hours takes on Board maybe 40 people in the Busaras, it then proceeds out through Phisborough and Cabra and picks up another 5-6 people en route. This is usually a very busy route and when they are doing any works in Phoneix Park, like at present, it's even worse.

Last year they had the good sense on some buses to use the port tunnel way out of town during the major works in the park and it worked! you were getting out to Blanch in circa a half an hour. (I know there are complaints currently about some of the kells/ cavan buses which use to use this route starting to use the Cabra road again)

The 5 or 6 people that get the bus at the matter/ phibsborough church/ Cabra - could come in the Busaras like the rest of us mere mortals who arent lucky enough to be working along that route have to do.

Leaving aside the phantom 5.30 and 6.30 Navan bus that is meant to use the M3 and nobody Knows anything about (well definately the 6.30 anyway). I think using the port tunnel and cutting out the divesrion through Clonee, could leave Dunshlaughlin commuters home in well under the hour and leave the trip to Navan at an hour/ an hour and ten which would be a welcome relief to the vast majority of bus users.

We've spent billions on the port tunnel/ upgrading the M50 / the M3, it's time to start using them

Any thoughts?
Commuter109 is offline  
Thanks from:
03-11-2011, 15:33   #26
Faddymackshyte
Registered User
 
Faddymackshyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter109 View Post
The 5 or 6 people that get the bus at the matter/ phibsborough church/ Cabra - could come in the Busaras like the rest of us mere mortals who arent lucky enough to be working along that route have to do.

It's not just 5 or 6 a day, there are about 5 or 6 every hour that need to get the bus at the Mater/Phibsboro and then you're also forgetting to add the people in Cabra and Ashtown. So I'd hazard a guess that there are roughly 8/9 people on the peak time journies that use those services around Cabra/Phibsboro. Plus what would be the point in going into Bus Aras when the bus doubles back out towards that way???

I've seen so many single decker buses recently that it's driving me mad. By the time it reaches me, it's full up. I have no idea what is happening with buses going to Dunshaughlin/Navan between 5.30-6pm. It's shambolic really.
Faddymackshyte is offline  
03-11-2011, 18:59   #27
NufcNavan
Registered User
 
NufcNavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter109 View Post
Yep, absolutely, was on the 6.30 to Navan yesterday evening, and the number that gone on/off the bus were as follows:

Blanch stop No 1 - zero
Blanch Stop No 2 - zero
Bracetown/ Damastown - zero



It really is time that Bus Eireann started thinking about the majority as opposed to the small minority on this route.

The same goes for using the Cabra Road route. Your average bus at peak hours takes on Board maybe 40 people in the Busaras, it then proceeds out through Phisborough and Cabra and picks up another 5-6 people en route. This is usually a very busy route and when they are doing any works in Phoneix Park, like at present, it's even worse.

Last year they had the good sense on some buses to use the port tunnel way out of town during the major works in the park and it worked! you were getting out to Blanch in circa a half an hour. (I know there are complaints currently about some of the kells/ cavan buses which use to use this route starting to use the Cabra road again)

The 5 or 6 people that get the bus at the matter/ phibsborough church/ Cabra - could come in the Busaras like the rest of us mere mortals who arent lucky enough to be working along that route have to do.

Leaving aside the phantom 5.30 and 6.30 Navan bus that is meant to use the M3 and nobody Knows anything about (well definately the 6.30 anyway). I think using the port tunnel and cutting out the divesrion through Clonee, could leave Dunshlaughlin commuters home in well under the hour and leave the trip to Navan at an hour/ an hour and ten which would be a welcome relief to the vast majority of bus users.

We've spent billions on the port tunnel/ upgrading the M50 / the M3, it's time to start using them

Any thoughts?
Agree with 80% of that apart from the Cabra/Mater bit. I think you've underestimated how many people get on at this stop every day. Compare that to a place like Clonee where I'd say there's days where nobody gets on there.

The 109 is Bus Eireann's cash cow, yet they should be treating their passengers a lot better than this. Meath people treated like second class citizens as always.
NufcNavan is offline  
03-11-2011, 21:46   #28
shannon82
Registered User
 
shannon82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 276
the 4.30 express is becoming a laugh too, depending on the driver some people from Kells are being turned away to make room for Cavan commuters.

Its taking 50+minutes to get to Blanch now a big difference to the 22minutes thats on the timetable
shannon82 is offline  
04-11-2011, 13:59   #29
Commuter109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 211
[It's not just 5 or 6 a day, there are about 5 or 6 every hour that need to get the bus at the Mater/Phibsboro and then you're also forgetting to add the people in Cabra and Ashtown. So I'd hazard a guess that there are roughly 8/9 people on the peak time journies that use those services around Cabra/Phibsboro.

Okay, for a start I'm glad to hear that others aren't entirely happy with the r109 service.

And just to put things into persepctive, I'm not suggesting that it's all bad, as I have said previously the two morning buses from navan that use the M3 are a welcome addition and are to be commended.

Also glad to hear that others feel the same about having to go through Clonee to serve Bracetown etc...

On the above quote re 8/9 people using the stops at Cabra/Phibsborough/ashtown, couple of comments

I'm not suggesting that all R109 services reconsider using the Cabra route, just the peak times services home in the evening. Getting down the NCR and through Phibsborough/ Cabra at one o clock in the day and 9 a clock at night etc is fine.. but between 4-7.30 or so it's a different kettle of fish.

8/9 people out of a bus full (not sure what Bus Eireann buses hold 50-60 maybe??) is still a minority of commuters.

just a suggestion! but for people getting the bus at the matter or phibsborough, it's not that far into the Bus Aras in fairness and Cabra and Ashtown isn't that far the first roadside stop at Blanchardstown. (typically these would be probably a €1.20 fare on Dublin bus) In fairness there are bus users working on the southside that have to get a luas the to green and then a bus down to bus busaras etc..

I just think that it is something worth thinking about. The reality of the situation is that unfortunately its not something that is going to happen in the short term.

But something needs to be done about the Blanch stops and diversion through Clonee asap. using the slip roads around Blanch is going to a complete nightmare once xmas shopping season kicks off.
Commuter109 is offline  
05-11-2011, 15:13   #30
Commuter109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 211
Code:
 
"Plus what would be the point in going into Bus Aras when the bus doubles back out towards that way???"
Just to pick on this point, if the limited few made their way into Bus Aras or Blanch, the whole point is that the bus wouldnt have to go the Cabra route, it could use the port tunnel.

was on the seven o clock yesterday which went up through the Blanch SC, (jesus that is going to be a nightmare in the near future), nobody got on or off , then off through Clonee to serve Bracetown, (surprise, surprise, nobody got off or on)

Going to email Bus Eireann again about the Clonee stop, will email management and cc the NTA and the dept of transport, aswell in an effort to get a response, because info@buseireann.ie is a joke altogether.

The economic reality of the situation is we ain't gonna get a train and its not like everybody can sell their houses and move back nearer to dublin!!!!! so I think people have to lobby to make this route as efficient as possible and as soon as possible.
Commuter109 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet