Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-03-2019, 12:50   #511
westtip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
Don't write off **/*** just yet. The rail review will find against the case for rail, they can hardly do otherwise, but the review has your then go to the minister for consideration before being published.
No review ever gets into the public domain in the same format as it left the consultant's desk, it is always tweaked for political nuance, and this one will be no different.
The report will go to Ross, if he's still minister, and will.tgen be worked on so as to appease the **/*** lobby. Expect the addition of a vague paragraph about future changes in demographic ladiladila, just enough to avoid coming down absolutely against rail in the next few decades.
That's all they need to stop the greenway, they don't need facts, just vague nonsense about freight' or 'industry' that will.be enough to maintain continued stagnation, giving hope to the realists as well as the rail buffs, and not upsetting landowners who want to absorb the route into their holdings.
Absolutely agree I can see the waffle machine working overtime on this one.
westtip is offline  
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 16:10   #512
Lord Glentoran
Registered User
 
Lord Glentoran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
So it would appear that the sole legacy left to the west of Ireland by **/*** is that they put up barriers to funding in the west of Ireland, despite all the weight of evidence that makes it clear that a greenway won't have any impact on any decision regarding investment in new railway projects.
From that document it is clear that the west was going to get a big slice of the funding, until the intervention stopped it.
Does the content masked by asterisks fall under the ginger beer/lemon curd sandwiches/chicken dinner ruling now?
Lord Glentoran is offline  
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 12:41   #513
Isambard
Registered User
 
Isambard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,895
The Tarka Valley Railway , Devon UK being created alongside the Tarka Trail cyclepath. It can be done.


Before and after pictures




Isambard is offline  
15-03-2019, 13:31   #514
westtip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
The Tarka Valley Railway , Devon UK being created alongside the Tarka Trail cyclepath. It can be done.


Before and after pictures




Are those pictures been taken in the same direction/perspective, where is the bridge in the top picture, but yes your point is well made, it is a pity Mayo County Council can't take this view for the proposed Velo-Rail section of the closed railway on the Western Rail Trail route 6km north and south of Kiltimagh. That's the project with no planning permission that has received a 500k bung from Minister Ring in three tranches of 200k, 100k and more recently another 200k.

Oh and don't you mean it the other way round, the trail is being created alongside the closed old railway not the railway being created alongside the trail, what came first as they say, the chicken or the egg.
westtip is offline  
15-03-2019, 15:46   #515
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,496
It isn't uncommon for twin track disused railway lines to be rebuilt with one track and a parallel path.
Unless the original single line track was built with future dialling in mind, there would be great difficulty in running a parallel path alongside a rebuilt railway.
dolanbaker is offline  
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 16:00   #516
Isambard
Registered User
 
Isambard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by westtip View Post
Are those pictures been taken in the same direction/perspective, where is the bridge in the top picture, but yes your point is well made, it is a pity Mayo County Council can't take this view for the proposed Velo-Rail section of the closed railway on the Western Rail Trail route 6km north and south of Kiltimagh. That's the project with no planning permission that has received a 500k bung from Minister Ring in three tranches of 200k, 100k and more recently another 200k.

Oh and don't you mean it the other way round, the trail is being created alongside the closed old railway not the railway being created alongside the trail, what came first as they say, the chicken or the egg.
the bridge is there is the trees, look properly. The railway is being created alongside the Tarka Trail, a cycle route along a former railway. I thought I said that.... taken from almost exactly the same spot.
Isambard is offline  
15-03-2019, 16:01   #517
Isambard
Registered User
 
Isambard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker View Post
It isn't uncommon for twin track disused railway lines to be rebuilt with one track and a parallel path.
Unless the original single line track was built with future dialling in mind, there would be great difficulty in running a parallel path alongside a rebuilt railway.
it's a cycle path with a railway line being (re) built alongside it.
Isambard is offline  
15-03-2019, 16:44   #518
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
it's a cycle path with a railway line being (re) built alongside it.
Yes, but the point is that these types of rail rebuilds only work well if the original trackbed was for two tracks (or designed to be expanded to two tracks). On a light railway like the WRC, much of the route was not designed to be expanded to twin track so there is no space for both.
dolanbaker is offline  
15-03-2019, 16:56   #519
Isambard
Registered User
 
Isambard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,895
the point is it is a cyclepath that is having a railway line re-instated.

The formation across the both looks to be about 12 feet, easily accomodated on the WRC, the formation of which is quite wide. Their website says that the cyclepath may need to be moved by up to 6 feet in places. I imagine it's only the bridges that are the pinch points, and there aren't that many of them on the WRC
Isambard is offline  
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 18:00   #520
serfboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
the point is it is a cyclepath that is having a railway line re-instated.
Ah go away! Sure I thought that has never been done anywhere by anybody!

Re-instating railway lines on Greenways indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
I imagine it's only the bridges that are the pinch points, and there aren't that many of them on the WRC
And there's one less now at Turloughmore



(From Google Maps)
Attached Images
File Type: png turloughmore_ex_bridge.png (167.1 KB, 180 views)
serfboard is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2019, 10:24   #521
Muckyboots
Registered User
 
Muckyboots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker View Post
Yes, but the point is that these types of rail rebuilds only work well if the original trackbed was for two tracks (or designed to be expanded to two tracks). On a light railway like the WRC, much of the route was not designed to be expanded to twin track so there is no space for both.
The expected investment on the WRC to revive it as a railway is half a billion euro. That's if they mistakenly tried to use the old alignment which is totally unsuitable - but that's a different story. It would be fiscally short sighted and a carbon retrograde not to plan for cycleway alongside all reopened rail lines, whether new or existing alignments. The either / or argument should be put in the bin once and for all.
Muckyboots is offline  
17-03-2019, 11:32   #522
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckyboots View Post
The expected investment on the WRC to revive it as a railway is half a billion euro. That's if they mistakenly tried to use the old alignment which is totally unsuitable - but that's a different story. It would be fiscally short sighted and a carbon retrograde not to plan for cycleway alongside all reopened rail lines, whether new or existing alignments. The either / or argument should be put in the bin once and for all.
It would make more sense to simply invest in cycleways beside existing roads around the country, as in proper wide ones that cyclists ould actually use as opposed to staying on the road as it is easier to ride on.
dolanbaker is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2019, 12:22   #523
Isambard
Registered User
 
Isambard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker View Post
It would make more sense to simply invest in cycleways beside existing roads around the country, as in proper wide ones that cyclists ould actually use as opposed to staying on the road as it is easier to ride on.
no no no the whole idea is to get away from roads. They are not intended to be transport corridors, they are for leisure. I'm amazed you don't get that
Isambard is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2019, 13:04   #524
dolanbaker
Moderator
 
dolanbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
no no no the whole idea is to get away from roads. They are not intended to be transport corridors, they are for leisure. I'm amazed you don't get that
You can use parallel cycle routes to minor roads for leisure you know.
dolanbaker is offline  
Thanks from:
17-03-2019, 13:21   #525
Isambard
Registered User
 
Isambard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,895
where's the pleasure in riding alongside traffic with the noise and the fumes? What about the danger from crossroads and people's drives? Parked vehicles blocking the cycle lane?

It's not about getting from A to B
Isambard is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet