Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-03-2019, 20:41   #256
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanW View Post
What stuck out at me the most was that fully 1 hour of this (30 minutes each way) was lost trying to clear the whole College Green/Westmoreland/D'Olier St. mess - from which private motorists are banned. This is the state of public transport services in Ireland. Slow, infrequent, often indirect, often overcrowded and/or uncomfortable, and that's if you're lucky enough that it even exists in the first place.

The point is worth re-iterating. 30 minutes to clear one junction alone. A junction private motorists cannot use, and so cannot contribute to its problems.
It didn't seem to take 30 minutes to clear the whole College Green/Westmorland St mess this morning in rush hour - maybe more like 3 minutes;

https://streamable.com/xt3u6
Advertisement
16-03-2019, 13:59   #257
SeanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
It didn't seem to take 30 minutes to clear the whole College Green/Westmorland St mess this morning in rush hour - maybe more like 3 minutes;

https://streamable.com/xt3u6
Thanks for this video. It is indeed very informative, but perhaps not in the way that you intended.

Your view, as I understand it, is that the main problem with Dublin is that some people drive. The slow/overcrowded/nonexistent public transport and the dire housing situation have not as yet featured in any of your posts - despite the indisputable fact that both inadequate public transport and long commutes are central causes of congestion. But no, it's all just one-dimensional motorist bashing.

I assumed that the reason for this bizarre myopia was that you did not live or work in Dublin. However, as you so helpfully illustrated, it has another explanation.

Your video suggests that you live close enough to Dublin City Centre that you can commute by bicycle to and indeed beyond the D'Olier/Westmoreland/College Green mess.
It also suggests that because you happen to be able to get around it relatively easy, by your mode, on your particular route, its problems aren't all that real to you individually. Thusly from your perspective those who have experienced issues here are overstating the case.

Your vision does not extend beyond the handlebars of your bike. Your analysis of the situation is facile, and your conclusions so far at variance with reality in almost every imaginable way that it beggars belief.

I can assure you that the problems that make Dublin a congested, un-livable mess for many people are in fact real, and my experience of them seems to be much broader than yours. I know because my landlord sold the house I'd been living in just over a year ago and I had to do the B&B scene for a few months last year because I simply couldn't find anything else for no matter how much money I was willing to offer - and that was a considerable sum! It was no big deal because I'm a young-ish man with a decent job, plenty of savings, and a family home I could go to at the weekend.
But in the course of that I got to experience the joy of commuting from a wide variety of Dublin locations, Park West, Glasnevin, Navan Road, Lucan etc. It was nightmare, each place was worse than the last in terms of commuting time and stupid delays traveling relatively short distances.
I also encountered families living in said hotels and it was not uncommon for me starting some stupidly long (time wise but short in distance) commute to see families preparing to take their children to school from the cheap hotel rooms the whole family was living in. This is the reality of life in Dublin today.

You want to know why there's travel chaos, homelessness and a myriad of other problems in Dublin? It's because they have been allowed to fester, mainly by people with small horizons and intentional mental blind-spots.
Simply because you may not affected by many of these problems (homelessness, slow/nonexistant/overcrowded public transport and so on) doesn't mean that they are not real.
They most certainly are, and the motorists you seem to despise so much are - at worst - symptoms of much deeper malaise. A malaise that to solve is going to require actual solutions, solutions I have not read in this thread.
(2) thanks from:
16-03-2019, 14:11   #258
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Thanks for this video. It is indeed very informative, but perhaps not in the way that you intended.
So we're just going to forget about how you said it takes 30 minutes for a bus to get through College Green at peak time, when it clearly doesn't?
16-03-2019, 15:32   #259
SeanW

Quote:
So we're just going to forget about how you said it takes 30 minutes for a bus to get through College Green at peak time, when it clearly doesn't?
All your video showed was that it takes you a few minutes on your bicycle, on your particular route. More power to you as far as I'm concerned, but your experience is not broadly representative.

I remember commuting on different variations of the 25 bus to get between Lucan and Merrion Sq. which was my worst experience (albeit by a thin margin) while doing the B&B scene. Each way 2 hours minimum on a commute of less than 10 miles. 1/2 hour of that trying to get around the D'Olier St/Westmoreland/College Green mess.

In the evening The queue of buses to get from Pearse St. to Westmoreland Street and out to the quays was unreal, despite the fact that motorists are banned from that movement. The reverse was true in the morning, and in all cases the quays were also very slow, despite having bus lanes all the way.

What all of this proved to me beyond any doubt is that the time for blaming motorists and faffing around with buses is long, long over. It's time to get the diggers out building Metros, DARTs and decent quality houses/apartments for people.

Last edited by SeanW; 16-03-2019 at 17:54.
Thanks from:
18-03-2019, 09:46   #260
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
All your video showed was that it takes you a few minutes on your bicycle, on your particular route. More power to you as far as I'm concerned, but your experience is not broadly representative.
Were you wearing blinkers? Look around the video - the road is largely clear, with small queues at each set of lights. No-one is taking 30 minutes to get through College Green on a bus there.

You're right to say it's not necessarily representative. It's just one rush hour trip. For me, it seems to be fairly representative of my experiences getting through College Green. There were longer delays last year when the Luas Cross City started, there were delays of maybe 5 minutes, at a stretch 10 minutes - but nothing like 30 minutes.

I can only conclude that your description of 30 minute delays is a large exaggeration for your own reasons.
Advertisement
18-03-2019, 14:37   #261
Qrt

Quote:
Were you wearing blinkers? Look around the video - the road is largely clear, with small queues at each set of lights. No-one is taking 30 minutes to get through College Green on a bus there.

You're right to say it's not necessarily representative. It's just one rush hour trip. For me, it seems to be fairly representative of my experiences getting through College Green. There were longer delays last year when the Luas Cross City started, there were delays of maybe 5 minutes, at a stretch 10 minutes - but nothing like 30 minutes.

I can only conclude that your description of 30 minute delays is a large exaggeration for your own reasons.
30 mins was approximately the delay experienced when Luas Cross City had its first Monday morning rush hour to deal with, couldn’t clear the bridge because a few taxis blocked it was the common thing.
18-03-2019, 16:16   #262
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrt View Post
30 mins was approximately the delay experienced when Luas Cross City had its first Monday morning rush hour to deal with, couldn’t clear the bridge because a few taxis blocked it was the common thing.
And it took a month or two for them to sort that out, right?
18-03-2019, 18:01   #263
Qrt

Quote:
And it took a month or two for them to sort that out, right?
No clue really, I just know it was an absolute sh!tshow for ages. It still is mind, the luas signals still allow for the longer trams to block the quays if the first attempt is blocked (which is a chronic issue at Rosie Hackett/Burgh Quay)
18-03-2019, 18:34   #264
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrt View Post
No clue really, I just know it was an absolute sh!tshow for ages. It still is mind, the luas signals still allow for the longer trams to block the quays if the first attempt is blocked (which is a chronic issue at Rosie Hackett/Burgh Quay)
There's certainly not 30 minute delays happening regularly these days.
Advertisement
Today, 10:14   #265
The Enbalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtheroad View Post
I live near a dart station and the amount of people who drive as close to it as they can each morning and then leave their expensive metal box randomly parked on a road is disgraceful. And several of these people could benefit from the walk or cycle to the station.

You should get off your bicycle and tell them that.
Today, 11:21   #266
Shai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enbalmer View Post
nah, I'd rather ask them about it on the rare occasion when they're walking about. Much safer that way.
Today, 11:31   #267
John_Rambo

Quote:
Why would he do that? Silly & unhelpful post.

It just proves that people are willing to get out of their cars and use public transport instead of driving in to the city centre, it is, in essence park and riding. I live close to a DART station and see the same thing, people driving in the rain to park and ride. I also see people parking and scooting/cycling from suburbs close to the city.

Just proves how many people would be willing to use light rail/metro systems if they were close to their homes.
Thanks from:
Today, 14:57   #268
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Rambo View Post
Quote:

Just proves how many people would be willing to use light rail/metro systems if they were close to their homes.
This is a fairly unrealistic expectation though. Safe, dry secure bike locking and lockers for scooters and other devices would be a big help.
Today, 15:13   #269
The Enbalmer

Quote:
This is a fairly unrealistic expectation though.

Quote:
Safe, dry secure bike locking and lockers for scooters and other devices would be a big help.

And that isn't?
Today, 15:30   #270
Shai

Quote:
And that isn't?
cost of building light rail / metro stations close to everyone's homes VS cost of providing secure bike and scooter storage

gosh, I sure wonder which of those numbers will be bigger
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion