Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2019, 16:47   #4861
CatInABox

Mod: Xbox, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
If you say so, I guess. Quality rebuttal there.

The city is already awash with bus lanes, most of the routes on the corridors have existing bus lanes. the cycle lanes are adding an additional 2 metres on each side of the route, hence the widening.

Its straightforward enough.
People from areas where the cycle lane is detoured off the bus lane are still complaining endlessly about this, so you're wrong there. Remove the cycle lanes and there'd still be complaining about it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-02-2019, 17:14   #4862
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
If you say so, I guess. Quality rebuttal there.

The city is already awash with bus lanes, most of the routes on the corridors have existing bus lanes. the cycle lanes are adding an additional 2 metres on each side of the route, hence the widening.

Its straightforward enough.
That's just not true, there are bus lanes where painting them on wasn't impinging too much on space allocated to private cars but this has resulted in numerous and extremely troublesome pinch points in the network where the road narrows and car becomes king. Bus connects address the pinch points and delivers cycling infrastructure which separates cyclists from buses, increasing the speed of both by removing conflict.

For example ask anyone who gets a bus from Blanch to the City Centre, they'll tell you old cabra road and Prussia st, i.e. the part with no bus lane represents about half the journey time. This will be resolved by bus connects. Similar issues on the Rathfarnham corridor.
Thanks from:
28-02-2019, 17:26   #4863
Kfagan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
I thought it might be the case where there was another article or even a tweet where they explained themselves more fully but there really doesn't seem to be anything out there in relation to these better/cheaper solutions.

The meeting of the Rathgar Residents Association on bus connects seemed to have a specific focus and it wasn't the health of public transport

https://www.rathgarresidentsassociat...tation-process
Their alternative is the Metro South West suggestion. So nothing doable in the same timeframe as Busconnects.
28-02-2019, 20:32   #4864
sharper

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post
we need massive P&R facilities with a luas/DART running parallel to the M50 and hubs to local services at the main junctions - M1, M3, N4, N7, N11 - along with looking at upgrading some of the link roads between the M3-M4-M7 (an outer half M50)
How are this plan going to get implemented without anyone opposing it? How will it stop politicians winning votes by lying about it?

I generally reject the idea that Ireland is special or unique or that we need "Irish solutions" to problems that are common elsewhere. If you're going to cede that of course busconnects will fail because of opposition I don't see how you can then propose an alternative plan that needs the same things as busconnects in order to happen.

A different way of looking at it is every infrastructure plan will be opposed so you may as well come up with the best plan you can and then plough on ahead. Ultimately something like busconnects will happen, the only question is whether it happens before or after the existing transport infrastructure becomes a crisis with similar attention as currently placed on housing and health.
28-02-2019, 20:57   #4865
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post
With me so far?
Honestly my eyes glazed over in the first sentence when I realised you'd missed the joke.
Advertisement
28-02-2019, 21:14   #4866
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
Honestly my eyes glazed over in the first sentence when I realised you'd missed the joke.
D'oh! Apologies.. My bad!

Although, it's genuinely hard to tell as the motorist seems to get blamed for everything transport-related these days
11-03-2019, 14:31   #4867
sharper

Community forum dates for phase 3 are up https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/community-forum/

Quote:
  • Bray to City Centre Corridor in the Talbot Hotel Stillorgan (Park Hotel), Stillorgan Road, Blackrock, Dublin, A94 V6K5, on Monday 8th April from 18:30 – 20:00.
  • Ballymum to City Centre & Finglas to Phibsborough Corridors in the Ballymum Axis Arts Centre, Main Street Ballymun, Dublin 9, D09 Y9W0 on Wednesday 10th April from 18:30 – 20:00.
  • UCD Ballsbridge to City Centre & Blackrock to Merrion Corridors in the Clayton Burlington Hotel, Leeson Street Upper, D04 A318 on Tuesday 16th April from 18:30 – 20:00.
  • Ringsend to City Centre Corridor in The Convention Centre, Spencer Dock, North Wall Quay, North Wall, Dublin 1, D01 T1W6 on Thursday 18th April from 18:30 – 20:00.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion