Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong wheels for touring bike.

• 19-04-2019 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm looking to buy a nice set of wheels for my touring bike, ideally ones which are not machine made.

I have a cheap enough pair on my bike and the rear wheel is a bit of a disaster in that I can never get the dishing/trueness right for an extended period of time and I've broken a few spokes. It's just a cheap wheel.

Can anyone recommend where to look? Some have suggested spa cycles?

I have rim brakes and am looking for as bombproof a wheel as possible, don't care about weight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why not get a set made to order?

If you're in the Dublin area Derek Humphries in Finglas will sort you out 01 8342170.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As above. Get 36 spoke wheels, and while youre at it, get a dynamo hub for the front.

Mavic A319 or 719. I've had mine 2 years and they've been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Hi folks, I'm looking to buy a nice set of wheels for my touring bike, ideally ones which are not machine made.

I have a cheap enough pair on my bike and the rear wheel is a bit of a disaster in that I can never get the dishing/trueness right for an extended period of time and I've broken a few spokes. It's just a cheap wheel.

Can anyone recommend where to look? Some have suggested spa cycles?

I have rim brakes and am looking for as bombproof a wheel as possible, don't care about weight.

Dt swiss tk540 rim, royce/hope hubs or the like.

To make a strong wheel you need a strong rim and a good bracing angle(your wheelbuilder will sort that with rim/hub choice). Conservative 3 cross build with a high spoke count and you are sorted.

Run of the mill build for a good builder.

I'd pick a rim which allows 30mm tyres minimum to allow lowish pressure.

Pick a hub which you can service and you'll have a wheel set for life that will just need to rerim

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

For the ultimate indestructible touring wheels, it's has to be Rigida/ Ryde Sputnik, One third the price of Mavic and much tougher...coupled with Sapim Strong triple butted spokes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

For the ultimate indestructible touring wheels, it's has to be Rigida/ Ryde Sputnik, One third the price of Mavic and much tougher...coupled with Sapim Strong triple butted spokes....

Should I worry much about choice of hub?

I was looking at this, what do you think?

https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s176p349/SPA-CYCLES-Handbuilt-Wheel-Rear-Sputnik-Deore

I have a dynamo hub front wheel which seems ok, it's the rear that's giving me way more trouble so I'm thinking of replacing the rear first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I got a rear wheel DTSwiss, 32 spoke RR511 rim built on to an ultegra hub made up for Audax rides by my lbs. Fully loaded it has to support about 100kg+ of bike, rider and kit. She's done thousands of km and has never skipped a beat.

Advertisement