Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike Hate

• 18-04-2019 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Even as an avid cyclist you do have to smile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Nothing changes

478052.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Even as an avid cyclist you do have to smile

I see a horse drawn cart on wire spoke wheels, first built for a bicycle or perhaps tricycle.

Prior to that the poor horse would have been pulling a 4 heavy wheeled device with each spoke strong enough to support the wheel load in compression rather the the ingenious suspension wheel with each spoke always in tension

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

I see a horse drawn cart on wire spoke wheels, first built for a bicycle or perhaps tricycle.

Prior to that the poor horse would have been pulling a 4 heavy wheeled device with each spoke strong enough to support the wheel load in compression rather the the ingenious suspension wheel with each spoke always in tension
    A horse-drawn quadri-cycle you might say ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If he had worn a high viz vest he wouldn't have been hit at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dahat wrote: »
    If he had worn a high viz vest he wouldn't have been hit at all...

No they would have gone round again and made sure to run over the right way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Why do people get so bloody worked up over cyclists?? People should just get off their fookin phones, take a few deep breaths and relax the fcuking kacks. Life is too short to be blowing the head gasket over having to drive slowly behind a cyclist for a few short moments.

People need to seriously catch a grip of themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had some horse riding friends post that picture up on facebook so I linked an infographic from the British Horse Society that says one horse was killed each day and 43 riders also killed by drivers. Shut them up quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Borderfox wrote: »
    I had some horse riding friends post that picture up on facebook

Wonder where it came from ? A cycling mate put it on whatsapp and I grabbed it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

It's obvious that for a lot of people, they do not regard cyclists as being fully human. The hatred which pours out on every cycling related story shows not only how people feel about cyclists, but how they feel about other people. It's quite depressing really. People want to just live in a bubble interacting with friend or family only, and that's it. I think the hatred of cyclists is just one expression of a larger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gerry wrote: »
    It's obvious that for a lot of people, they do not regard cyclists as being fully human. The hatred which pours out on every cycling related story shows not only how people feel about cyclists, but how they feel about other people. It's quite depressing really. People want to just live in a bubble interacting with friend or family only, and that's it. I think the hatred of cyclists is just one expression of a larger problem.

The main thing here is how the media and the non-cycling public just put all people who cycle a bicycle into one single homogeneous group i.e. "Cyclists" :mad:

"Cyclists" is a term which should be banned.... Mainly because people who cycle are one of the most diverse groups of people you could find, and who don't all meet up once a week as if in one giant club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    who don't all meet up once a week as if in one giant club!
    Did you not get your invite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

and who don't all meet up once a week as if in one giant club!

Lots of us do. Sunday morning, 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

just one thing i don't like about cyclist, why they don't go single file when a car waiting to over take then go back.
    know some will do,
    i know ",because we don't have too,we as much right on the road as you ,which is true, you should wait and be more patience"
    i know it will cut the conversion between the 2 for a few seconds by going single file.
    whats for general consensus of this with cyclist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    just one thing i don't like about cyclist, why they don't go single file when a car waiting to over take then go back.
    know some will do,
    i know ",because we don't have too,we as much right on the road as you ,which is true, you should wait and be more patience"
    i know it will cut the conversion between the 2 for a few seconds by going single file.
    big cyclist myself, however riding 2 abreast or more is just taking the piss as well as endangering yourself and a wally motorist determined to pass at all costs with incoming traffic ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

When the road is narrow and there is not enough room for a driver to overtake a double line our club tend to single up.

In other cases the thinking often is that the opposite side of the road needs to be clear for a driver to overtake safely and a double line is shorter and easier to pass than a long single line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

big cyclist myself, however riding 2 abreast or more is just taking the piss as well as endangering yourself and a wally motorist determined to pass at all costs with incoming traffic ahead
    Refreshing post, was half expecting to be slaughtered .
    (ps would never try to over take 2 unless i believe there was plenty of room which rarely is)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

It's important to be considerate to all road users but riding single file in the scenario you're describing would probably be the most dangerous option. It's inviting the driver to pass in the same lane because of oncoming traffic which means coming dangerously close to the cyclists.

It is not the right of cyclists to behave selfishly but neither is it the right of drivers to make progress at their desired speed at all times, especially when it would be unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The main thing here is how the media and the non-cycling public just put all people who cycle a bicycle into one single homogeneous group i.e. "Cyclists" :mad:

"Cyclists" is a term which should be banned.... Mainly because people who cycle are one of the most diverse groups of people you could find, and who don't all meet up once a week as if in one giant club!

A person who cycles is a cyclist just as one who commutes is a commuter. What other term do you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

It's important to be considerate to all road users but riding single file in the scenario you're describing would probably be the most dangerous option. It's inviting the driver to pass in the same lane because of oncoming traffic which means coming dangerously close to the cyclists.

It is not the right of cyclists to behave selfishly but neither is it the right of drivers to make progress at their desired speed at all times, especially when it would be unsafe.
    i agree but i have seen and personally believe some drivers get pissed off seeing cyclists 2abreast etc, where as single file the motorist is more at ease, of course there are dicks and will attempt a stupid move on narrow roads, however i believe cyclists should drop into single file when a vehicle approaches from behind. Personally i am very aware of this as sadly a close friend died cycling home from work -a large vehicle approaching from behind and then taking a left turn, this happened quite a few years ago now when most folk only had 1 car in the driveway! Stay safe!

is_that_so wrote: »
    A person who cycles is a cyclist just as one who commutes is a commuter. What other term do you have in mind?

Human...

Do you call everyone driving a Van a "Vannist?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Human...

Do you call everyone driving a Van a "Vannist?"

Well they drive so they are drivers.

davef1000 wrote: »
    Lots of us do. Sunday morning, 10am.
    Did you not get your invite?

Which bike do I need?

Gravel, CX, Road, Tri,/Aero XC MTB, Enduro/DH MTB, Ebike, commuter, tricycle?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well they drive so they are drivers.

Gold Star for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

know some will do,

OK, in the following answer I'm not speaking for "my people :pac:", just my own opinion:

I find the whole "single file/double file" is in many cases a complete red herring. The reason I say this is that in many cases when drivers complain about cyclists not in single file it is on roads where the driver cannot pass a single cyclist safely unless the other side of the road is free and they can cross to there to overtake.

When I hear drivers beeping their horns at cyclists on a narrow road where this is the case, I see an incompetent driver who fails to grasp the basics of safe overtaking of slower, more vulnerable road users , because in such cases, single file / double file etc is irrelevent.

just one thing i don't like about cyclist, why they don't go

Which "cyclist" who was he or she?

You would have to ask all the "Cyclist"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If our group is out for a spin we will single out only when its safe to do so, I have had to go back to drivers and explain this to them and they are fine (although there are one or two that wont accept this)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

(ps would never try to over take 2 unless i believe there was plenty of room which rarely is)

I don't do group cycling, so I have no real insight, but what you say here is the rationale usually given for groups cycling two abreast: it makes the driver wait until there's sufficient room to pass. Plus it allows the passing manoeuvre to be over in half the time.

This is a really well-worn topic of conversation on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

know some will do,

It depends....
    Depends on how many cyclists are in the group
    Depends on the road type/conditions
    Depends if there is oncoming traffic
    Depends on the experience/ inexperience on the motorists

Lots of factors to consider. But if you have theee four or more cyclists in a group, the safest option (for everyone) it to cycle two abreast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

07Lapierre wrote: »
    It depends....
    Depends on how many cyclists are in the group
    Depends on the road type/conditions
    Depends if there is oncoming traffic
    Depends on the experience/ inexperience on the motorists

Lots of factors to consider. But if you have theee four or more cyclists in a group, the safest option (for everyone) it to cycle two abreast.

Agreed and the people who don't understand are people who don't cycle. And when someone does take up cycling they then realize vulnerable they are on the road.

A lot of it is the social media ability to be a faceless warrior who can slate/shoot abuse at people online, when drivers are in their metal boxes they feel the same invincibility.
    As we have seen with drivers who have killed cyclists the sentences are light so there is no fear factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

know some will do,

The irony of the lads driving round with four empty seats complaining of others taking up too much space. Do you pull over in heavy urban traffic when a faster cyclist comes up behind? What's the general consensus of this with drivist?

Advertisement