Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slava watches

Options
  • 17-04-2019 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Hi

i really like the look of one of their models i've just come across
    but theres very little info out there, its a 70's style cushion case

Granted they are cheap as chips
    but are they rubbish? are the movements trash?
    are they comparable to Seikos for example? or vostok?
    do they look cheap and nasty?

any info/advice welcome

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've had a couple over the years F. All early Soviet era quartz. They're OK, lower quality than Vostok in my humble, more "fashion" watches for that market. Cheap though so there's that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Post up a link to the model in question. As with any old watch, the maintenance or lack of it can decide it's reliability. The Slava below is accurate to within about 20 seconds a day which is not bad for an 80's mechanical.
    Also, quite funky looking, a lot more pink in reality.

478016.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well they made this:

46382940024_8e15841b52_b.jpgSlava chronoscope by Secondfox, on Flickr

46382940714_fc98504c3e_b.jpgslava chronoscope open by Secondfox, on Flickr

1/100th second mechanical stopwatch - try and pick up a Swiss equivalent :D (Tag Heuer do them I believe, not at Slava prices though).

46192800105_c5e9491872_b.jpgslava chronoscope birth cert by Secondfox, on Flickr

Seems like the movement was accurate to 0.03 seconds per 3 minutes when it left the factory ;) or 14.4 s/d (though no-one would be mad enough to be running a 1/100th stopwatch for 86,400 seconds :D - think power reserve is only something like 8 minutes anyway)

As for their look - as long as *you* like it - who cares what other people think? Especially if it's cheap as chips wear it and be happy with your purchase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

Many thanks for the feedback
    This is the one I fancy (the white version)
    Really like this style of watch, cushion case with 70s vibes, thanks

images_zpshs1swfsy.jpeg

1c4a031a-67ab-11e5-96ac-d2312b844c30_zpsvraakk5s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

One thing I found with russian/soviet watches is that they may not have a quick set date/day feature - I'd look it up myself to make sure.

I know the Vostok amphibias with dates don't use quick set date - it means if the watch is at the 18th and you need to set it to the 7th you have to go to 11pm - wind to 4am then back to 11pm then 4am then 11pm etc. etc. Can be a hassle to set (potentially!) - so that's what I'd advise checking first (if it has quick set).

Of course if you don't switch watches, don't care about incorrect date or don't find it a hassle to wind back and forth it won't be an issue. Just a potential pitfall to be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The Slava posted doesn't have a quickset for the date, just the day of the week using the little pusher at 2 o'clock.

Other than that, the white dialled one looks good. The watch in the bottom pic has the wrong second hand, it should be the lollipop style shown in the smaller picture.

Advertisement