Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mushrooms growing in potting compost??

Options
  • 15-04-2019 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I repotted an indoor aloe Vera plant a few weeks ago, used potting compost I had left in shed from last year. I notice a mushroom in it a few days ago, looks like a supermarket button mushroom but rusty/ brown colour on top. I took it out but i noticed today another one popping through. Is it from the potting compost? Do I need to re- pot or do I just keep harvesting mushrooms!??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Harvest mushrooms if you want but if I was you I'd get a positively correct ID before eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bomchikkawawa

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Harvest mushrooms if you want but if I was you I'd get a positively correct ID before eating.

I just want to know if it’s likely it’s the compost and if I need to re- pot with new compost.are the mushrooms likely to affect the plant? Will the mushrooms keep growing in the pot themselves if I don’t re-pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They could be pookys.dont eat them they could put you tripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

I just want to know if it’s likely it’s the compost and if I need to re- pot with new compost.are the mushrooms likely to affect the plant? Will the mushrooms keep growing in the pot themselves if I don’t re-pot?

The potting compost being a bit older might explain the spores of the mushroom landing on it and I think it's most likely it is just living off the material in the compost. The chances of it being a fungi that is pathogenic to aloe vera are very very small and if anything it should be helping break down the material in the compost to leave more nutrients available for the plant.

The mushrooms are the fruiting body of the fungus and they will likely stop being produced once the energy source of the fungus is depleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

The compost is probably spent mushroom compost that just happens to have a couple of fruiting bodies still active which implies the mycelium is intact.

You could look up how to raise mushrooms and see if you can start our own shroomery..it's unlikely but its fun to try things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Here is a link to a guide to fungi, edible and inedible.
    https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here is a link to a guide to fungi, edible and inedible.
    https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/

There were yellow ones here last autumn but was not sure if they were chanterelles or the poisonous imitations.. growing on a grassy bank

If in doubt, don't eat. Not as if we were starving...

Advertisement