Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help on neighbours new stove chimney

Options
  • 08-04-2019 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi all us and our neighbours have a 3 storey house the 3rd story for both our houses is a built on roof box to the back of the house and there quite large rooms.

So my neighbours are after fitting a chimney for there stove less the 2m away from my 2nd story window but the chimney is just about on the 3rd floor eg I could touch with a sweeping brush from the large window in my roof box.

Is this legal our does the chimney need to go above the roof box as all I can smell in the house is smoke since they fitted the chimney.

The chimney was fitted by the owner of the house and he is not a builder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

Hi all us and our neighbours have a 3 storey house the 3rd story for both our houses is a built on roof box to the back of the house and there quite large rooms.

So my neighbours are after fitting a chimney for there stove less the 2m away from my 2nd story window but the chimney is just about on the 3rd floor eg I could touch with a sweeping brush from the large window in my roof box.

Is this legal our does the chimney need to go above the roof box as all I can smell in the house is smoke since they fitted the chimney.

The chimney was fitted by the owner of the house and he is not a builder.

Technical Guidance Document J has the relevant guidelines (page 19)
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C37240%2Cen.pdf

If the flue outlet is within 2.3m of any of your windows, it needs to terminate at least 1m above the window head height.

It’s a pretty serious issue as you are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. I would approach your neighbour ASAP with that diagram and ask them to rectify it immediately and not use the stove in the interim. Keep your windows closed in the meantime also. If you get nowhere with your neighbour, contact the building control section of your local council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Thanks for that I am going to get a tape out tommarow night to be 100% sure of the distance between the windows.

Considering they are after building a window that looks into out back garden and into our downstairs window!!!.

Have added a photo of it as well.

I would consider it shocking that it's in the middle of both there upstairs windows

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Some hack job, likely to kill themselves with that

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

Thanks for that I am going to get a tape out tommarow night to be 100% sure of the distance between the windows.

Considering they are after building a window that looks into out back garden and into our downstairs window!!!.

Have added a photo of it as well.

I would consider it shocking that it's in the middle of both there upstairs windows

That looks very dodgy though it may be more than 2.3m from your window. They’re definitely putting themselves at risk. I’d get the tape out! Even if it’s outside the 2.3m, it might be worth raising your concerns with them diplomatically as they probably don’t even have a clue what risk they’re putting themselves in

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Thats mental!!
    Dont mind the proximity to your window... if your house is within 2.3m of the chimney.... the chimney has to be at least 600mm above your roof line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

That has to be fixed, planning is not required but compliance with building regs is

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

I would be surprised if they are allowed to have a flu that close to what looks like pvc guttering.fire hazzard

So got the tape out last night.

It's 2.2m from my windows both upstairs and downstairs.

So I should have a leg to stand on.

So who do I report this to?.

As we share a lane way as you can see the photo and I had war with them this week as I told them to clean it!!! As it was like a building site down it and I could not even walk down the lane way!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Council environmental health.

I would be getting onto them right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

So got the tape out last night.

It's 2.2m from my windows both upstairs and downstairs.

So I should have a leg to stand on.

So who do I report this to?.

As we share a lane way as you can see the photo and I had war with them this week as I told them to clean it!!! As it was like a building site down it and I could not even walk down the lane way!!!.

It's an outlet of a flue below their own window. Directly below. That's nuts that the plumber thought that was safe. RGI would be a start but do they only cover gas boilers and not solid fuel outlets.

• Advertisement

No the naighbour fitted it them self's and he is not a builder at all.

Yes it is below the window on my 3rd storey of my house and will a long swilling brush u could touch if from that window.

Perfect with who to contact I need to make sure as it's going to war with them.

As the built a window looking into my own window as well and have started building again!!!

Advertisement