Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Fianna Fail - Sinn Fein coalition inevitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,078 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No no.

1 in 5 homeless are from outside the EU and arrived here illegally.

That’s a lie or a misinterpretation. Do you have a link to back up your claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1039786/

The Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens, with 67% Irish and 12% from other EU countries.

The report, Homeless Action Plan 2019-2022, says that non-EU families present a "significant challenge" as some are here illegally or awaiting residency status, and there is a lack of clarity over their entitlement to housing and support services.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens, with 67% Irish and 12% from other EU countries.

The report, Homeless Action Plan 2019-2022, says that non-EU families present a "significant challenge" as some are here illegally or awaiting residency status, and there is a lack of clarity over their entitlement to housing and support services.

That doesn't say what you think it says.

It says "some' are here illegally or awaiting residency status. It then goes on to say that there's a lack of clarity over their entitlement to housing.

It doesn't say that all of the non Irish / Non EU families are here illegally, I questioned this myself earlier in the thread - as to how illegal immigrants qualify for social housing, and my guess is they don't.

That report is not saying they do or they do not, it's saying there's a lack of clarity to their legal entitlement to social housing, so it's impossible to say how many of the 21% are.

It could be 1%, it could be 21% it could be 0%

It says "some' are here illegally or awaiting residency status. It then goes on to say that there's a lack of clarity over their entitlement to housing.

It doesn't say that all of the non Irish / Non EU families are here illegally, I questioned this myself earlier in the thread - as to how illegal immigrants qualify for social housing, and my guess is they don't.

That report is not saying they do or they do not, it's saying there's a lack of clarity to their legal entitlement to social housing, so it's impossible to say how many of the 21% are.

Oh I agree.

It states 1 out of 5 are from outside the EU and illegally.

It’s a mixture of both in that stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

How many are EEA citizens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Oh I agree.

It states 1 out of 5 are from outside the EU and illegally.

It’s a mixture of both in that stat.

goalposts successfully moved. Above you say its a mixture, below you state as a fact that 1 in 5 are illegal
    No no.

1 in 5 homeless are from outside the EU and arrived here illegally.

maccored wrote: »
    goalposts successfully moved. Above you say its a mixture, below you state as a fact that 1 in 5 are illegal

Ok spiliuting hairs.

No 1 in 5 are from outside the EU and arrived here illegally.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s impossible to house everyone who rocks up looking for a house.

Or is that what people want?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Even if they were all here illegally, it doesn't make that much difference to the immediate problem. Being an illegal immigrant doesn't make them any less homeless.

Ok spiliuting hairs.

No 1 in 5 are from outside the EU and arrived here illegally.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s impossible to house everyone who rocks up looking for a house.

Or is that what people want?

But how did you arrive at that figure?

The report you quoted stated that "some" arrived illegally or are awaiting residency status.

How did you overcome the significant challenge, they themselves said they faced determining their housing entitlement?

Besides, as already mentioned, either or makes them no less homeless.

Even if they were all here illegally, it doesn't make that much difference to the immediate problem. Being an illegal immigrant doesn't make them any less homeless.

If ther rocked up in America or Australia without anyway to live and not enough funds to live on, would they be taken in and given a home? Time to weed out the chancers no matter where they come from.

• Advertisement

Can you blame the government for a person arriving homeless?????

• Registered Users Posts: 27,143 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It does mean though that the homeless figure is over-estimated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »

And what's Eoghan defining as 'homeless' this week? I think it's safe to say that even with the FG cooked numbers we are still breaking records, so Margret Cash and all that aside, it's not going well.

We digress, can't see any decent self respecting party siding with FF unless FF have a junior role, even then I'd lose respect for those who signed up.

My point all along.

The opposition every day bleating on about how FG have failed each of those 10,000 people yada yada

What a load of nonsense.

It’s a farce this whole “homeless” crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,746 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My point all along.

The opposition every day bleating on about how FG have failed each of those 10,000 people yada yada

What a load of nonsense.

It’s a farce this whole “homeless” crisis.

So what is the level of homelessness in your estimation?

And what's Eoghan defining as 'homeless' this week? I think it's safe to say that even with the FG cooked numbers we are still breaking records, so Margret Cash and all that aside, it's not going well.

We digress, can't see any decent self respecting party siding with FF unless FF have a junior role, even then I'd lose respect for those who signed up.

How are we digressing?

The information states that 1 in 5 of those listed as homeless seeking accommodation are non-Eu and that some of these are illegal immigrants. It has been stated that if you are non-EU and illegal, you are not entitled to be on the list. That means that the list overstates the problem.

Simple mathematics again, simple facts.

It's indefinable Francie. Even Eoghan saying we've a problem. The figures, who's ever you might prefer, showing things get worse. The record breaking, Varadkar himself saying he reckons only a few are pretending, we can move it to immigrants when we run out of our own to saddle the blame upon. It's a pointless discussion IMO. It's agreed by all elected and official quarters to be a worsening crisis. I think that's enough to be going on with.
    This stems from the old chestnut scaremongering post earlier in the thread suggesting SF would be worse and my suggesting they'd have a long way to go in many of the areas that poster listed to make things worse or show the same level of 'quality'.

How are we digressing?

The information states that 1 in 5 of those listed as homeless seeking accommodation are non-Eu and that some of these are illegal immigrants. It has been stated that if you are non-EU and illegal, you are not entitled to be on the list. That means that the list overstates the problem.

Simple mathematics again, simple facts.

So FF will go into coalition with SF?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There is a difference between "presenting as homeless" and being on the housing list. Presenting as homeless doesn't mean you will be added to this housing list if you're not entitled to be on it.

The DRHE is saying that because 21 percent of people are non-EU nationals, they often have few/no entitlements and there is a limited amount they can do for them.

So FF will go into coalition with SF?

Fair enough, then it is digressing, but I am no more guilty than others on the thread.

I might have to revert to pictures of Mary-Lou walking behind banners :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

A FF/SF would see the country bankrupt again in six months. Sinn Fein's price for supporting FF would be massive social welfare and public sector pay increases. FF are bad enough on their own for this. With SF on board we'd make Argentina look a model of financial probity.

The people sleeping on the streets each night.

Around 170.

Fair enough, then it is digressing, but I am no more guilty than others on the thread.

I might have to revert to pictures of Mary-Lou walking behind banners :D

I said 'we'.
    SF supporting 'England out of Ireland', the shock and awe of it all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

FG haven't messed up on housing. Housing is going exactly as FG want it to go right now, this is what they are.

I've a house with a reasonable mortgage and I'm insulated from all this but any party that comes up with a plan that addresses housing for the average joe in a sustainable manner will get my vote.

A FF/SF would see the country bankrupt again in six months. Sinn Fein's price for supporting FF would be massive social welfare and public sector pay increases. FF are bad enough on their own for this. With SF on board we'd make Argentina look a model of financial probity.

I think FF should have been wound down TBH. How they keep a straight face is beyond me and how any party, SF included, could go into business with them under any pretense is low grade governing.
    We don't know if SF would bankrupt the place. We know FF have and we know FG oversee worsening crises. I don't think it makes sense to stick with alternating between two not fit for purpose entities because SF might do something. Fair point for any reservations but are we to stick with the FF/FG combo because they've the experience? Be it SF or whom ever, we seriously need a break from FF/FG IMO.

Bambi wrote: »
    FG haven't messed up on housing. Housing is going exactly as FG want it to go right now, this is what they are.

I've a house with a reasonable mortgage and I'm insulated from all this but any party that comes up with a plan that addresses housing for the average joe in a sustainable manner will get my vote.

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.com/2019/03/housing-costs-in-silc.html

Just came across this, makes for interesting reading. When it comes to housing, Ireland isn't as badly off as is commonly thought, relative to other countries, but people perceive that they are badly off.

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.com/2019/03/housing-costs-in-silc.html

Just came across this, makes for interesting reading. When it comes to housing, Ireland isn't as badly off as is commonly thought, relative to other countries, but people perceive that they are badly off.

Call Fine Gael and tell them it's all stuff and nonsense. I can write a blog telling you 'sure it's grand' because I'm doing okay re housing.
    People who can't pay rent without government aide despite working full time and people having to move back in with their parents might differ.
    The people who matter, government, state, international recognised organisations agree there's a crisis. That's good enough for me.
    Again, be tough for any party to match FG/FF on housing, health, justice etc.

Call Fine Gael and tell them it's all stuff and nonsense. I can write a blog telling you 'sure it's grand' because I'm doing okay re housing.
    People who can't pay rent without government aide despite working full time and people having to move back in with their parents might differ.
    The people who matter, government, state, international recognised organisations agree there's a crisis. That's good enough for me.
    Again, be tough for any party to match FG/FF on housing, health, justice etc.

You could write a blog, but it wouldn't be believable unless it had hard facts in it like that one does.

You could write a blog, but it wouldn't be believable unless it had hard facts in it like that one does.

There's many an and or but in that blog. It's open to interpretation. Do you think there's a crisis? If yes, this discussion is pointless. If no, I disagree, as does the UN and Fine Gael along with any other political party including the Greens. So not sure why you are obsessing on this line when nobody but yourself and wheels seem to want to.
    Rabble rabble FFG.

You offer zero solutions ever.

Nothing credible.

The fact your username is Leo Varadkars partner tells me all I need to know.

You are giving the by-rote stock codswallop you must have saved for cutting and pasting. I've done so many many times, to you directly in threads about housing and government.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105256351&postcount=48

You're the dodger in this.

Would SF do a worse job than FF/FG? Your answer; illegal immigrants on the homeless list. Quality.

• Advertisement

@ wheeliebin, that's a bit unfair, you've been shown by multiple posters (and the very source you linked to) that your 21%/1 in 5 argument was based on nothing more than mere speculation with a little splash of wisfulness on your part.

People have posted over and over again giving detailed information as to why your statement is incorrect (the report you linked to said it was uncertain how many it applied to)

You also seem to have latched on to the homeless crises FG have overseen, purposely ignoring all the other issues mentioned up thread.

You then come on implying someone is "rabble rabble rabble".

This is what I was referring to in my very first posts in this thread tbh. :D

Advertisement