Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

lordlame wrote: »
    He has paulie on his Instagram story

Already mentioned in the off topic thread where it belongs...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JK released a video of a spar before the Mendes fight, Conor gave his 2 cents on it.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1113877076585721856?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    JK released a video of a spar before the Mendes fight, Conor gave his 2 cents on it.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1113877076585721856?s=19

A bit backhanded, I'm getting a "if I listened to you then, I wouldn't be the superstar I am, and because I listened to you in the Khabib fight, I'm not where I should be" vibe.

A bit backhanded, I'm getting a "if I listened to you then, I wouldn't be the superstar I am, and because I listened to you in the Khabib fight, I'm not where I should be" vibe.

They had a bit of chat after as well.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1113903167882788864?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    When he does retire, there will be a proper event with sponsorship, fanfare, bunting and jugglers.

It won't be a tweet.

It’s looking more likely that it’ll be a sentencing that retires him if he keeps going the way he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭rob316

McGregor back in Dublin. He's at the w2w finale in the green isle cornering his buddy Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You know where I can get some good drugs man

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    When he does retire, there will be a proper event with sponsorship, fanfare, bunting and jugglers.

It won't be a tweet.

Most likely a Proper event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

6 years ago today he beat Brimage.

ASOT wrote: »
    6 years ago today he beat Brimage.

I remember it like yesterday watching that, got awful carried away and said that's it, he's gonna best Aldo and win the belt, just a matter of time. I quickly quietened that part of my brain as it was ludicrous :)

Absolutely buzzing after that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

dulux99 wrote: »
    But he just looks an eejit now to those who don't follow it closely.

He doesn't really care about what they think as long as he makes money.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Brimage fight, wow. Lifetime ago
    Got up outta bed at 6am to watch that. Unbelievable sense of pride and I told you so seeing it go down.
    How things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Brimage was an absolute punchbag to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The Nal wrote: »

Still he was 3-0 in the ufc going into that fight, absolutely tailor made style for McGregor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Nal wrote:
    He had a decent showing on TUF. And a reputation as a hype killer due to some decent wins. He's extactly who a CW champ entering the UFC should be fighting imo.

It's obvious looking back that Conor is elite tier and Brimage wasn't. But that wasnt the narrative at the time. People were talking about Conor getting found out against ranked opponents, Brandao's jiu jitsu, top ten guys like Poirier, wrestlers like Mendes etc.
    Beating Aldo the way he did was the turning point. In terms of both his perception and attitude.

Mellor wrote: »
    Beating Aldo the way he did was the turning point. In terms of both his perception and attitude.

Except it was too good, and some dumb people seem to think he just got lucky.
    Just people too willing to cut him down and not acknowledge his skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,323 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Effects wrote:
    Except it was too good, and some dumb people seem to think he just got lucky. Just people too willing to cut him down and not acknowledge his skills.
    I'm not anti-Conor but you can't just go in one fight and decide how good or bad he is.
    On the plus side are his performances against Aldo, Poirier, Mendes and Alvarez but then there's the Diaz fights where he didn't look so good and the Khabib fight where he looked bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not anti-Conor but you can't just go in one fight and decide how good or bad he is.
    On the plus side are his performances against Aldo, Poirier, Mendes and Alvarez but then there's the Diaz fights where he didn't look so good and the Khabib fight where he looked bad.

Agree on the Khabib fight but certainly not either Diaz, 2nd round of the first fight he ran out of gas badly but first round lit him up ( first time at that weight against a much bigger man) ........2nd fight he lit him up again for the first 2, gassed again or the third ......won the 4th and tied the last for my money.......no way could he be described as not looking good, 2nd fight especially

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

McGregor confirmed on twitter what was heavily speculated about on here at the time, he broke his foot 3 weeks out from the Khabib fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Advertisement

tumblr_m76dmbSTx31r4gei2o1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dulux99 wrote: »
    McGregor confirmed on twitter what was heavily speculated about on here at the time, he broke his foot 3 weeks out from the Khabib fight.

Makes the case for "deserving" a rematch a lot more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I actually buy it.

Bill Cosby was pretty adamant that it was all false / fake news also lol

Broken Foot Conor just needs another chance and he'll get the job done.

Why bother fighting if you're not 100%? Especially against someone like Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Effects wrote: »

I imagine very few fighters compete at 100%. Most will have some form of injury or the likes picked up from a camp or before.
    Nature of the business really.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Nature of the business really.

Ah yeah, I totally agree. But I guess it depends what level the injury is at and what affect it will have on your performance.
    3 week recovery on a broken foot doesn't sound like enough recovery time to me. Especially as you have to keep training and try and avoid further damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I don't pretend to have any notable mma technique acumen or insight - though the world and his wife noted his style of engagement seemed different that night.

Anybody with genuine insight/ knowledge care to comment? Was it stylistic choice/ injury/ or merely his capability on the night? Where on the spectrum are we? Just fear of takedown?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ah yeah, I totally agree. But I guess it depends what level the injury is at and what affect it will have on your performance.
    3 week recovery on a broken foot doesn't sound like enough recovery time to me. Especially as you have to keep training and try and avoid further damage.

He has this thing about not pulling out of fights, so in his mind, he keeps training until a doctor tells him he can't fight, or th.e likes
    Anybody with genuine insight/ knowledge care to comment? Was it stylistic choice/ injury/ or merely his capability on the night? Where on the spectrum are we? Just fear of takedown?

Combo of all the above I'd say. Mostly fear of the takedown though, with the rest adding to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Conor never makes excuses for his bad performances. Just let's us all know he had a cold, or a sore knee, or a damaged foot, or he was fighting an 8 foot tall 275lb monster, but definitely not making excuses.

Advertisement