Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the population of Dublin be dispersed to rural small holdings?

• 20-03-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

This short video is about China`s ghost cities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie6zd3Rwu4c
    They build cities and nobody is living in them. Obviously, China are preparing for the collapse of capitalism in the west. When the economies of the US and Europe do go into freefall, there will no longer be a high demand from these markets for Chinese goods. So, China is creating these cities so their citizens can move there (after western economies crash) and become consumers of the goods China will have previously exported to western markets.

This is a role reversal. China is set to become a consumer society. Western economies are really only fueled by low interest rates and the now dwindling wealth effects of QE. When western economies do crash, easy monitory policy will not work again, the scale of the problem will be too big. In short, the first world is set to become the third world.

To prepare, Ireland must go back to the small holder subsistant lifestyle of pre industrial China or to use another analogy, to pre famine Ireland. Why? If capitalism ends in the west, people will have to look after themselves. Or worse, the state will do it and that would be like Venezuela without the oil or sunshine.

Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes, you’re wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I know of another country that attempted this and it didn't turn out so well for them, Cambodia (under the Khmer Rouge)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The "Ghost City" phenomenon in China has more to do with their weird system of land zoning and taxation making property - utilised or not - an attractive mechanism for storing wealth, than them preparing for the end of Capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Don’t do drugs, kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

If you don't understand economics, then it's best to not come up with crazy economic conspiracy theories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland has far too many people living in rural locations already, we need more urbanisation but the focus should be on the other cities, we can't just think in terms of where Google or amazon wants to expand, they have a big role of course but everything should not be about the multi nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

How can they live there without broadband?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Ireland's current infrastructure is already insufficient to meet the needs of its people. Pushing a large number of the population out into rural areas where the infrastructure is even worse will quite literally kill Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I know of another country that attempted this and it didn't turn out so well for them, Cambodia (under the Khmer Rouge)

I am not suggesting it should be done by force. What I am asking is could large numbers of Dublin based people find such a move to be their best interests if western capitalism stops working?

I am not suggesting it should be done by force. What I am asking is could large numbers of Dublin based people find such a move to be their best interests if western capitalism stops working?

I can see formerly well-to-do families from Foxrock merrily subsistence-farming in the lush and windswept valleys of the Golden Vale, yes. No problem. It should take them at least a few months to starve to death. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What I am asking is could large numbers of Dublin based people find such a move to be their best interests if western capitalism stops working?
    By that time we will have our wall to keep them out.
    I'm running for prez on that platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

jimgoose wrote: »
    I can see formerly well-to-do families from Foxrock merrily subsistence-farming in the lush and windswept valleys of the Golden Vale, yes. No problem. It should take them at least a few months to starve to death. :pac:
    But wouldn`t they starve quicker by staying in Dublin?

But wouldn`t they starve quicker by staying in Dublin?

We produce food for 35 million people apparently. Don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Realitykeeper is one of my favourite posters. Just when you think his threads can't get any more bonkers, he comes out with this beauty.

Never change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I ain't getting on no plane, fool. Or in this instance, a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Weirdly I was reading an article about this very subject this morning. It's something that's very popular with eco-fascists.

Edit: here's the article

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2018/09/eco-fascism-ideology-marrying-environmentalism-and-white-supremacy

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwilldare

This short video is about China`s ghost cities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie6zd3Rwu4c
    They build cities and nobody is living in them. Obviously, China are preparing for the collapse of capitalism in the west. When the economies of the US and Europe do go into freefall, there will no longer be a high demand from these markets for Chinese goods. So, China is creating these cities so their citizens can move there (after western economies crash) and become consumers of the goods China will have previously exported to western markets.

This is a role reversal. China is set to become a consumer society. Western economies are really only fueled by low interest rates and the now dwindling wealth effects of QE. When western economies do crash, easy monitory policy will not work again, the scale of the problem will be too big. In short, the first world is set to become the third world.

To prepare, Ireland must go back to the small holder subsistant lifestyle of pre industrial China or to use another analogy, to pre famine Ireland. Why? If capitalism ends in the west, people will have to look after themselves. Or worse, the state will do it and that would be like Venezuela without the oil or sunshine.

Am I wrong?

What have you taken mate?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Haven't heard the end of capitalism theory since 2008.
    Good to hear the old ones again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,447 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it's lovely how completely wrong reasons why things happen can be twisted and presented as fact.

Ghost cities in China were not built for this reason, thus your entire premise collapses into it's own cesspool of broken thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I wouldn't unleash this shower of sh1te on the rest of this country, if anything Dublin should be walled off and quarantined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,089 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

El_Bee wrote: »
    I wouldn't unleash this shower of sh1te on the rest of this country, if anything Dublin should be walled off and quarantined.

As long as we dont have to keep subsidising rurual services then i would be ok with that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dublin would be fine if they could only repatriate all the Corkonians and Galwegians and ah feck it, all the mulchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's not much more than a large town. Get your ****ing act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Here's a conspiracy reality. Every time western economies go into free fall as you put it, there's a period of adjustment and the deck is re-stacked in the exact same manner with the same players in the right places. In short, outside of some catastrophic world wide disaster, the wealthy who run the world banks and economies aren't going away anywhere regardless of any economic free fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Is it the culchie government, culchie Garda, culchie landlords or foreign vulture funds you don't like? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Grayson wrote: »
    Weirdly I was reading an article about this very subject this morning. It's something that's very popular with eco-fascists.

Edit: here's the article

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2018/09/eco-fascism-ideology-marrying-environmentalism-and-white-supremacy

I swear you must be seeing fascists everywhere these days.

You remind me of those ones in 1950s America looking for Reds under the bed.

I just refer to them above as gobshytes.

jmayo wrote: »
    I swear you must be seeing fascists everywhere these days.

You remind me of those ones in 1950s America looking for Reds under the bed.

I just refer to them above as gobshytes.

They're just pricks that have found a new excuse for being pricks. And the World turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nice idea in theory, but so was Decentralization and look at how that failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Nice idea in theory, but so was Decentralization and look at how that failed.

The guy in Clare was very particular about who he'd think was suitable for it.

Usually young families and the householders having good intentions of gaining employment and mixing well with the locals.

Anyone I met who's come to Clare and settled down are doing well.

It didn't matter what part of Dublin you were from,there was no discrimination.

It was all about what you were willing to bring rather than take away.

Any families I met were your real Dubs, respectful, cultured and not undesirables.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement