Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Delays in providing diagnosis proof - help!

• 22-02-2019 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have been diagnosed on the spectrum with ASD through the HSE.

As a result of my autism I find it impossible to work any more than 20 hours a week.

I have been really struggling financially, and needed help a long time ago.

I have been assessed and diagnosed by a consultant.

They said I'd get a letter over a month ago, with a turn around time of 2 business days. Well here I am still waiting, after two phone calls a week and a couple of emails later, over a month.

Has anybody else had experience of this sort of delay? what is involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What are they saying to you when you ring?

Presumably they have your gp's name, have you checked with your gp to see if they have been notified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

This is why we went with a private consultant. You get your report within two weeks.
    My psychologist basically "tore the HSE a new one" for anyone reading my psychologist report. If I was a medical professional or educational institution I would be ashamed to have any knowledge of that report or my name associated with it. HSE and department of education psychologist dont know their ass from their elbow.

My doctor was a useless bitch and refused to acknowledge a €500 from one of 4 top psychologists in the country. Then I said (the doctor - client relationship was a dead duck at this stage) I was going to let the medical counsel deal with it. There is a way of reporting people to the medical boards and civil service ombudsman if you have a educational disability. They take that seriously. Luckily for my doctor my psychologist told them to get their act together. I got hooked up with a really great Social Officer in Waterford and they were supportive all the way. National Learning Network were fantastic. If you work within the system people will be offering to help you. Educational and training opportunities are amazing.

You also need to get onto "Employability". They will get your work supplemented by €5 an hour to make you attractive to employers. Start chasing people!!! Where is my disability travel pass. It gives you great leverage with housing.

I wish you the best of luck and loads of happiness in the future. If your life is only half as good as mine has improved you will be fine.

You need to learn how to ask certain questions (so that it is easier to get action than it is to have to respond without consulting the Legal department):
    Are you withholding my report?
    You do realised I should have been diagnosed when I was in Primary school?
    Where are my autism resources?
    Do you realise I am entitled to extra tuition/ laptop/ resources.

Kind regards and remember to help other autistic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ExoPolitic

This is why we went with a private consultant. You get your report within two weeks.
    My psychologist basically "tore the HSE a new one" for anyone reading my psychologist report. If I was a medical professional or educational institution I would be ashamed to have any knowledge of that report or my name associated with it. HSE and department of education psychologist dont know their ass from their elbow.

My doctor was a useless bitch and refused to acknowledge a €500 from one of 4 top psychologists in the country. Then I said (the doctor - client relationship was a dead duck at this stage) I was going to let the medical counsel deal with it. There is a way of reporting people to the medical boards and civil service ombudsman if you have a educational disability. They take that seriously. Luckily for my doctor my psychologist told them to get their act together. I got hooked up with a really great Social Officer in Waterford and they were supportive all the way. National Learning Network were fantastic. If you work within the system people will be offering to help you. Educational and training opportunities are amazing.

You also need to get onto "Employability". They will get your work supplemented by €5 an hour to make you attractive to employers. Start chasing people!!! Where is my disability travel pass. It gives you great leverage with housing.

I wish you the best of luck and loads of happiness in the future. If your life is only half as good as mine has improved you will be fine.

You need to learn how to ask certain questions (so that it is easier to get action than it is to have to respond without consulting the Legal department):
    Are you withholding my report?
    You do realised I should have been diagnosed when I was in Primary school?
    Where are my autism resources?
    Do you realise I am entitled to extra tuition/ laptop/ resources.

Kind regards and remember to help other autistic people.

Thanks for the reply, I eventually got the letter and it said that in his opinion I meet the criteria, however this was only his opinion and not through an ASD assessment and thus the letter was useless.

I was fuming, 5 weeks waiting for that, after a year of chasing!
    I was told by the doctor there that the HSE categorically do not diagnose ASD within adults.
    I booked myself in with a private clinical psychologist and got a cancellation appointment that come up the very next day.

A lot of money down, and a few bouncy bills later because of this (bugger knows what I'm going to do about that) I have the new promise of a diagnosis to be emailed to me this week. The C.Psy said that I have aspergers (now ASD), attention deficit disorder, low grade depression and anxiety disorder.

I said that I think the anxiety and depression was brought on by the HSE taking so long and trying to live off of less than is possible to do so.

I already have some limited help from the NLN, but I can't really avail of all of their services without a proof of diagnosis.

Also how does it give you great leverage with housing?

Advertisement