Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2019

• 10-01-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭

First major of the year already. Below is the full mens draw. Alot interesting first round matches in there.

Djokovics Section

Djokovic vs Q
    Tsonga vs Kilzan
    T Daniel vs Q
    Andujar vs Shapovalov
    Goffin vs Garin
    Granoliers vs Copil
    Vesely vs Harrison
    Medvedev vs Q
    Fognini vs Munar
    jarry vs Mayer
    Ivashka vs Jaziri
    Carreno Busta vs Q
    Kohlschreiber vs Li
    Pella vs Sousa
    Karlovic vs Hurkacz
    Nishikori vs Q

Zverev Section

Zverev vs Bedene
    Chardy vs Humber
    Bolt vs Sock
    Simon vs Q
    Chung vs Klahn
    Querrey vs Herbert
    Wawrinka vs Gulbis
    Kyrgios vs Raonic
    Coric vs Darcis
    Ramos-Vinolas vs Fucsovics
    Djere vs Donskoy
    Krajinovic vs Cecchinato
    Pouille vs Kukushkin
    Marterer vs Q
    Popyrin vs M. Zverev
    Paire vs Thiem

Federer Section

Cilic vs Tomic
    Rublev vs McDonald
    Mmoh vs Albot
    Verdasco vs Q
    Bautista Agut vs Murray
    Delbonis vs Milman
    Nishioka vs Sandgren
    Gojowczyk vs Khachanov
    Tsitsipas vs Berrettini
    Carballes Baena vs Q
    Andreozzi vs Q
    Basilashvili vs Q
    Monfils vs Dzumhur
    Norrie vs Fritz
    Q vs Q
    Federer vs Istomin

Nadals Section

Anderson vs Mannarino
    Tiafoe vs Q
    Lopez vs Thompson
    Seppi vs Johnson
    Dimitrov vs Tipsarevic
    Cuevas vs Lajovic
    Kubler vs Fabbiano
    Opelka vs Isner
    Edmund vs Berdych
    Garcia Lopez vs Haase
    Polmans vs Kudla
    Schwartzman vs Q
    De Minaur vs Sousa
    Basic vs Q
    Ebden vs Struff
    Nadal vs Duckworth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Not be accused of being sexiest or anything like that here is the Ladies draw.

Halep Section

Halep v Kanepi
    Kenin v Q
    Cornet v Arruabarrena
    V.Williams v Buzarnescu
    Suarez Navarro v Burel
    Stosur v Yastremska
    Bouchard v )Peng
    Maria v S.Williams
    Kasatkina v Bacsinszky
    Q v Q
    Konta v Tomljanovic
    Zheng v Muguruza
    Giorgi v Jakupovic
    Q v Bogdan
    Brengle v Q
    Q v Ka.Pliskova

Osaka Section

Osaka v Linette
    Zidansek v Gavrilova
    Siegemund v Azarenka
    Voegele v Hsieh
    Q.Wang v Ferro
    Diyas v Krunic
    Q v Osuigwe
    Barthel v Sevastova
    Mertens v Schmiedlova
    Q v Gasparyan
    Parmentier v Potapova
    Aiava v Keys
    Cibulkova v Zhang
    Kr.Pliskova v Blinkova
    Kuzmova v Kozlova
    Q v Svitolina

Wozniacki Section

Kvitova v Rybarikova
    Begu v Petkovic
    Bencic v Siniakova
    Putintseva v Strycova
    Tsurenko v Alexandrova
    Niculescu v Anisimova
    Boulter v Makarova
    Q v Sabalenka
    Barty v Kumkhum
    Perez v Y.Wang
    Q v Hon
    Sakkari v Ostapenko
    Sharapova v Q
    Cirstea v Peterson
    Lapko v Larsson
    Van Uytvanck v Wozniacki

Kerber Section

Stephens v Townsend
    Jabeur v Babos
    Vondrousova v Rodina
    Watson v Martic
    Kontaveit v Sorribes Tormo
    Flipkens v Sasnovich
    Puig v Pavlyuchenkova
    Riske v Bertens
    Goerges v Collins
    Q v Vickery
    Mattek-Sands v Hives
    Q v Garcia
    Vekic v Mladenovic
    Q v Birrell
    Q v Pera
    Hercog v Kerber

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Fed looks to have it easy to round 4 (if anything is easy at 37) but then having to face the two best young guns seems unfortunate. (I expect Khacha to get past an unfit Cilic). Doubt if Nadal will be a factor. Djoker could hopefully get dragged into a few long ones against Tsonga and Shapo. Hard to believe Osaka is 12/1, easily the best player if she can get her attitude sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Wouldn't write off Nadal that easily. He hasn't had the best of luck here over the years, but if he's close to his best who in his section can honestly beat him? Unless Isner or Anderson have an absolute flawless serving day, barring further injury problems (and yes it is worth noting that he does have an injury cloud over him) I think he'll get to the semis fairly unscathed

Federer is just too much of an unknown at his age and didn't have the best of seasons from the summer onwards in 2018. I can't see him beating Djokovic at this stage of his career although he should get to the quarters anyway (probably v Cilic)

If Djokovic is fit and motivated I can't see him being beaten here

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

typical that Federer is the only one who is guaranteed to play a qualifier in the 2nd round!! does nothing to help the accusations of favoritism towards Federer.

jr86 wrote: »
    Wouldn't write off Nadal that easily. He hasn't had the best of luck here over the years, but if he's close to his best who in his section can honestly beat him? Unless Isner or Anderson have an absolute flawless serving day, barring further injury problems (and yes it is worth noting that he does have an injury cloud over him) I think he'll get to the semis fairly unscathed

Federer is just too much of an unknown at his age and didn't have the best of seasons from the summer onwards in 2018. I can't see him beating Djokovic at this stage of his career although he should get to the quarters anyway (probably v Cilic)

If Djokovic is fit and motivated I can't see him being beaten here

Cilic is only coming back from injury, if Tomic is up for it he could be take a scalp here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

bada_bing wrote: »
    typical that Federer is the only one who is guaranteed to play a qualifier in the 2nd round!! does nothing to help the accusations of favoritism towards Federer.
    Ehm, you do know how the draws work don't you? Federer getting a qualifier doesn't show any favoritism towards him, it's not something that anyone has any control over.
    It's also not necessarily a good thing. The qualifier will be match fit, ready to go, and there are some dangerous names in there (Kokkinakis, Brown, Troicki jump out).

Johnmb wrote: »
    Ehm, you do know how the draws work don't you? Federer getting a qualifier doesn't show any favoritism towards him, it's not something that anyone has any control over.
    It's also not necessarily a good thing. The qualifier will be match fit, ready to go, and there are some dangerous names in there (Kokkinakis, Brown, Troicki jump out).

Speaking of qualifiers, I see British player Dan Evans is going well in the qualifiers as well. He had a good run in Australia not that long ago before getting banned for drug offences be interesting to see how he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Floppybits wrote: »
    Speaking of qualifiers, I see British player Dan Evans is going well in the qualifiers as well. He had a good run in Australia not that long ago before getting banned for drug offences be interesting to see how he does.
    He's already pulled off a Shot of the Year contender anyway -

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Andy has announced his plans to retire after Wimbledon next year!
    https://twitter.com/stu_fraser/status/1083518286283694080

I feel gutted for him as he was still hungry to get back and win more titles, but it was clear from his matches last year that the injury was still there as you could see that he was hobbling a bit with the hip. Apparently he still experiences pain when doing simple things like putting on socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Can't see anyone but Nadal winning this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Can't see anyone but Nadal winning this one.

Christ, what are you basing that on? It will be an achievement for him to compete without retiring injured imo

Christ, what are you basing that on? It will be an achievement for him to compete without retiring injured imo

Speak to you in 2 weeks .... Nadals "injury" and pulling out of Brisbane a few weeks ago just made it 99.9998% sure he'd win AO rather then 99.9999%

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Speak to you in 2 weeks .... Nadals "injury" and pulling out of Brisbane a few weeks ago just made it 99.9998% sure he'd win AO rather then 99.9999%

Ah, so this is where the_monkey has disappeared to :pac: Didn't realise you had another account again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Novak to win

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Djokovic and Kerber to win I think. Wouldn't be surprised if Serena lost her 3rd consecutive grand slam final.

Although Djokovic is deservedly favourite, I don't think he is the certainty that some people are suggesting. Khachanov is my outside bet, great value at 25/1 and capable of playing quality hard court tennis (2018 USO, 2018 Paris Masters).

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Although Djokovic is deservedly favourite, I don't think he is the certainty that some people are suggesting. Khachanov is my outside bet, great value at 25/1 and capable of playing quality hard court tennis (2018 USO, 2018 Paris Masters).

djokovic certainly is the favourite, but the severe heat promised for the first few days seems to affect him more than most, he could get dragged in to a long match or two in the heat (possibly excerbated by the way he might be put on an outside court which is closer to the sun, at midday)

Can't see Nadal wining this, he never seems to get the breaks in OZ.

lostcat wrote: »
    djokovic certainly is the favourite, but the severe heat promised for the first few days seems to affect him more than most, he could get dragged in to a long match or two in the heat (possibly excerbated by the way he might be put on an outside court which is closer to the sun, at midday)

Can't see Nadal wining this, he never seems to get the breaks in OZ.

He had a good strong start against Duckworth .... not to bad from someone that 2 weeks ago was injured.

hmm

It's tough watching Murray hobbling around the court. I thought he was going to concede the match when he lost the second set and now he has set point. :)

It really will be quite fitting if it is indeed his last match

I was sure he was headed for an easy straight sets loss here but he's putting up one hell of a fight.

Sheer determination and grit - the story of a wonderful career

• Advertisement

Love if he could push it to 5 sets here .... 5/5 in 4th .... lets see ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Have to admit I didn’t really like Murray for a long time but he grew on me over the years and I’m absolutely rooting for him here. Heroic stuff.

6/6 tie break .... business end of things here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Given what he's going through , surely this has to rank as his greatest match?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Some atmosphere for a R1 match!

Gone to a 5th!

Wouldn't write off Murray winning the tournament yet!!!

:)

Boom !!
    Wow ... 1st round match !!

T E N N I S !

jr86 wrote: »
    Gone to a 5th!

Wouldn't write off Murray winning the tournament yet!!!

:)

I would be nice to think that, but what this match is going to take out of him is going to cost him in the next round. If he does win I can't see him recovering enough for the next match.

This is heroic stuff! Can't believe what I'm seeing. For those that need convincing of Murrays Big4 status, get to a tv now!

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    I would be nice to think that, but what this match is going to take out of him is going to cost him in the next round. If he does win I can't see him recovering enough for the next match.

I'm obviously taking the piss sure he'll probably pull out if he wins this

Advertisement