Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship at 36

• 23-06-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm just wondering has anyone done an apprenticeship over the age of 35 ?
    I'm considering leaving my current job which I've been in for a very long time as Labourer/Driver.
    I've worked as a Labourer for carpentry companies while I lived in Canada and always enjoyed the work.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has taken up an apprenticeship at 36 and if employers would be more interested in younger people as an apprentice.
    I know the first year or two will be tough financially but not having kids or a mortgage I'm will to take the hit and look at the longer picture.
    Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Absolutely if you can afford the first year. Respect and further career opportunities are the big pluses. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jettamk2gtd

Absolutely if you can afford the first year. Respect and further career opportunities are the big pluses. Where are you based?

I'm based in Cork
    The first year would be hard but further opportunities home and aboard would be greater. It's finding someone to take on a old man would be the biggest problem I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Not at 36 but started mine at 31. Best thing I ever did. Do what you can to mitigate the first years crappy wages and go for it.

superg wrote: »
    Not at 36 but started mine at 31. Best thing I ever did. Do what you can to mitigate the first years crappy wages and go for it.

What did you do your apprenticeship in ? I've been wanting to do it for a long time but recessions and other factors meant I didn't.

What did you do your apprenticeship in ? I've been wanting to do it for a long time but recessions and other factors meant I didn't.

Electrical and I started mine at the worst possible time, 2007 just as the crash happened. Got laid off halfway through it as a result due to lack of work but stuck with it, qualified and I'm still the game.

• Advertisement

Electrical and I started mine at the worst possible time, 2007 just as the crash happened. Got laid off halfway through it as a result due to lack of work but stuck with it, qualified and I'm still the game.

I was looking for one around the same time but never happen. Did you find employers more interested in you cause of your age ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

Go for it, your never told to try something new. First year will be tough wage wise but it will fly. Employers won't be deterred by your age, your experience as a carpenters labourer will be an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I was looking for one around the same time but never happen. Did you find employers more interested in you cause of your age ?

If you have a load of years labouring employers will know you are able to use a drill and hammer and measuring tape. That’s more important than what age you are. Write a good cover letter explaining this and send your cv off you will be in employment by next week if you were in Dublin I’ve no idea how cork is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

A buddy of mine, hard worker but always struggling with factory wages.
    With a wife and 4 kids took on a plumbing apprenticeship at 39.
    4 yrs later I am fixing my own plumbing as the buddy has a six week window before he can even pop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Hiya, I'm 35 and going looking at going down the same road as you. For me, I just don't want to be doing meaningless jobs anymore. I've got a family to think about and although in the short term it's going to be tough, I know it will be worth it in the long run. There's no point in been in a job you don't really want or like, I don't think you have anything to lose in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

It’s definitely more common than you think.

I can think of over 5 apprentices over the age of 30 in my job. A lot of companies like getting older apprentices as they can be more mature than the 18 year old ones.

Not really, a mate got me into my first company and I followed him to my second. When I got laid off fas sorted me with a redundant apprentice program and found me a placement with an employer to finish my apprenticeship. I'm still with that same fella now. I definitely got on better with my instructors in tech as I was much more mature and willing to learn than alot of the young lads who just saw it all as an opportunity to take the piss. I had a wife and one kid at the time, it was a career I had always wanted to follow so I made damn sure i was 100% focused on learning the trade and they appreciated that.

There's a shortage of good quality trades people out there now too, added maturity will definitely be a bonus. If you really enjoy what trade you choose that will stand you in good stead going forward. I was the same as others here, hated doing a variety of sh*t jobs and finally got myself into a place where I could do the one I wanted. If you can, it's defo the right thing to do.

There's a shortage of good quality trades people out there now too, added maturity will definitely be a bonus. If you really enjoy what trade you choose that will stand you in good stead going forward. I was the same as others here, hated doing a variety of sh*t jobs and finally got myself into a place where I could do the one I wanted. If you can, it's defo the right thing to do.

Thanks for your advice it's definitely given me a more optimistic view about looking for a carpentry apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm constantly considering this myself. Just about to turn 35, in a pretty well paid office job, 2 kids and a mortgage. If I'd it to do over, pretty sure if go straight into electrician apprenticeship. I've never exactly had a dream job (well, if it sad possible to earn what I do now as a push bike courier, its be doing that) , but always swore I wouldn't work in an office.
    Stumbled into a temp job in 2008 and have kinda just gone with the flow since, but always meaning to do something more interesting/enjoyable.
    Have been wondering lately if it is too late to start over.
    Finances for a couple of years would obviously be the main concern.
    It might sound stupid, but I also always worried that I might not be enough of a 'lad' for the trade world. No interest in sport or a lot of ****e that I stereotypically think passes the day chatting for a lot of guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Most consumers or builders even through the recession find it hard to get professional competent tradesman. The vast majority are not very good and unprofessional, sloppy. Lots of stories in the UK of people swapping white collar jobs for trades and doing really well.

So if you are good you will always have work.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    It might sound stupid, but I also always worried that I might not be enough of a 'lad' for the trade world. No interest in sport or a lot of ****e that I stereotypically think passes the day chatting for a lot of guys.

I wouldn't worry about being a "lad" I go to work most days and barely speak to anyone, can't be listening to the ****e talk anymore... All your boss will want is you to able to do your job.
    As long as your respectful to people you'll get along with most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

I know it's two years old but how did you lads get on?
    Did you go for it? I'm considering it at 29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

If it’s something you really want to do and if you can survive on the salary for the first 2 years go for it.

What industry / trade are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Danye wrote: »
    If it’s something you really want to do and if you can survive on the salary for the first 2 years go for it.

What industry / trade are you looking at?

I can probably survive without much problems.
    Carpentry, I would have an interest in building in wood and wood interiors. I will need to find someone to take me on, that will be the tricky part as I dont have many contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Danye

I can probably survive without much problems.
    Carpentry, I would have an interest in building in wood and wood interiors. I will need to find someone to take me on, that will be the tricky part as I dont have many contacts.

Well that’s good. Regards being taken on, might be a bit tricky but things are flying again so might not be to hard once your genuine.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I haven't made any moves; to be honest things have been tight enough as it is financially and I don't think we'd be able to make it work yet. We could if we had to, but would be v tough to take it on by choice.
    Wonder did the op take the plunge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Quite a few people that I know have retrained as aircraft mechs via traineeships or mature apprenticeships, certainly a good few in their early to mid 30s, at Dublin Aerospace or the MROs in Shannon. In the current Corona environment, no point in trying but when things pick up, it's worth a shot.

Advertisement